What do we do now?

LinusTech
1 hour ago, cornholio509 said:

I am not trying to bash Linus here . The biggest issue is he has shown bias on more than one occasion . THe comments about not going back and fixing errors in videos because it costs money isn't a good enough excuse either . I have gone through a good chunk of the back catalogue of videos on youtube and there is a lot more than what steve just pointed out . WHile some of these products have rightly been bashed because performance didn't justify caust . Some have would a boon for the home server server crowd , but have completely botched benchmarks relegating them to E-waste  . Now Linus made claims about been against E waste and invested in framework . A company who's whole premise is reusable and upgradable laptops . However those product he had directly contributed them to becoming ewaste . Not to mention him been apologetic about ASUS and their LEGAL quotes on bios upgrades to cancel warranties . A big sponsor for hardware on their channel . It's been more than a few mistakes just recently .

Its going on for a few years and seemed to be when LMG stated exponentially increasing in sub counts . SO it could be said the need to get videos out and hold onto the audience increased the stress of staff and led to the mistakes , The refusal to edit these mistakes became clear in his latest statements . Remember we are not on about a youtube channel with a couple of million subs . 15 million is a big audience and has a larger reach than most in this space . What LMG does and says has a far wider impact then gamers nexus and the majority of tech youtubers have .

Now my big issue is in trusting LMG .  I will give them the benefit of the doubt that these mistakes are genuine . However the bias that has been shown has shattered my trust . So LMG has a lot of work to do from now on to gain my trust . I respect them for owning their mistakes  , but a lot of work needs to be done on their behalf i think before everyone's confidence is restored . 

That's a bar you hold Tech reviewers to, and that's fine. Personally, I can't see a tech reviewer who doesn't have some bias and who doesn't make mistakes.

But bringing this up to "Linus makes e-waste" just seems like an outrageous exageration. I still don't see the conection between Linus and Asus.

If you don't trust LMG, then don't trust them. I'm not saying I trust every last word they say, but I still find their videos both educational as well as entertaining. If they can do better I'm all for it. If they can't I'm still not boycotting LTT just because Steve likes to nitpick.

16 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

That's a bar you hold Tech reviewers to, and that's fine. Personally, I can't see a tech reviewer who doesn't have some bias and who doesn't make mistakes.

But bringing this up to "Linus makes e-waste" just seems like an outrageous exaggeration. I still don't see the connection between Linus and Asus.

If you don't trust LMG, then don't trust them. I'm not saying I trust every last word they say, but I still find their videos both educational as well as entertaining. If they can do better I'm all for it. If they can't I'm still not boycotting LTT just because Steve likes to nitpick.

I think its a bar everyone should hold youtubers too . I mean i like the fact they dropped anchor as a sponsor . However been apologetic for a sponsors legal statement that hurts consumers is a different story . 

As for E-waste . Yes that is a fact . Invalid benchmarks contribute to that . false or botched benchmarks for zeon products do lead to them becoming E-waste . I have watched these videos and yes benchmarks were way off on x-server grade zeons . LTT videos are a gateway into most of the tech world . So a lot of people take benchmarks on Ltt like  gospel . THey shouldn't but they do . I would never use more than one source for all benchmarks . I think everyone should .    

25 minutes ago, cornholio509 said:

I think its a bar everyone should hold youtubers too . I mean i like the fact they dropped anchor as a sponsor . However been apologetic for a sponsors legal statement that hurts consumers is a different story . 

As for E-waste . Yes that is a fact . Invalid benchmarks contribute to that . false or botched benchmarks for zeon products do lead to them becoming E-waste . I have watched these videos and yes benchmarks were way off on x-server grade zeons . LTT videos are a gateway into most of the tech world . So a lot of people take benchmarks on Ltt like  gospel . THey shouldn't but they do . I would never use more than one source for all benchmarks . I think everyone should .    

I would be interested in a complete list of prooveable errors. I'd also be interested in the story on being apologetic for sponsor's legal statements. Such a list could bring to light how bad they really are or show they aren't that bad. On the other hand, I'd rather see the list in private, not have it posted on a public forum without first bringing such a list to the attention of the authors, (not for black mail, but for goodwill).

Just blanket stating that "[a lot of] benchmarks were way off on [their reviews]" could be considered slander too. If you raise the bar too high no one will be worthy of reviewing tech. You cannot expect perfection as there are 0 people who are perfect.

Do you have real proof that Linus Media Group has indeed created E-waste? How much? Where was it dumped? Which individuals and companies were the ones influenced into creating E-waste? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that objecting to some videos and then stating "a lot of people take benchmarks on Ltt like gospel" doesn't proove it's creating E-waste.

5 hours ago, Andrei Chiffa said:

They weren't expecting to have to deal with Madison going public or leak of internal recordings confirming it. So one week was only to deal with GN allegation and damage control over Linus' response on forums here. 

Madison's allegation ins themselves were pretty bad, but the additional sex joke innuendos in the excuse video managed to not only add fuel to the fire, but made a number of long-term LTT supporters and Linus fans to pull out their pitchforks.

At this point they have to first address this, or they will have all their videos downvoted into oblivion and no one left willing to sponsor their videos in the future.

And that probably will need more time and something more drastic than a single week moratorium. Probably something like Linus going on an executive leave and Luke taking over the CVO role in the interim for at least a couple of months.

I personally believe they will start content again soon regardless of the maddision allegations, there is nothing more they an do about it until the investigation is complete 

On 8/22/2023 at 10:30 PM, Issac Zachary said:

Has anyone seen the TechTechPotato video?

There are several good points in Dr. Ian Cutress' video.

I'd say my own points are:

1. Don't be quick to judge. Nobody is perfect. If you want a perfect review, go buy all the products and review them yourself. I agree with Dr. Ian Cutress (TechTechPotato) and do think that a lot of what Steeve said is actually very subjective. His facts are indeed true, but he mixes those facts with his own opinion and feelings and uses that as reason to accuse LMG and Linus' of having motives, abilities and morals that cannot be proven with said opinions and feelings. Can LMG survive on fewer, but better quality videos? I don't know, maybe not! Is LMG not fixing their own videos? We see the errors they missed, but what about all the ones we didn't? Is LMG making unfair ties with companies like Framework, Asus and Noctua? I think this is getting into conspiracy theory territory.
  2. I would say that from most important to fix to least would be the following:
    1. Trying hard to bring to justice any and all who were involved in sexual misconduct with Madison and anyone else and taking steps to prevent any such conduct in the future.
    2. Make ammends with Billet Labs for auctioning off their cooler.
    3. Re-shooting or editing the Billet labs video.
    4. Re-shooting or editing the Pwnage Mouse video.
    5. Fixing and preventing errors in videos.
  3. I don't see all of point 2 needing to be fixed. LMG videos are overall good videos. If Linus and his team work hard at #1 and #2, I'd be fine with that and will watch their videos. If they can do more, good, but nobody is perfect.
  4. I can't see a possible customer of Billet Labs as being turned away by the bad review. Billet Labs gains publicity from the video and someone who is researching what their computer needs will see that the cooler was obviously used with the wrong GPU and will likely do further research. I for one do not just go by what every recommendation LMG, or Gamer's Nexus, or Jay's Two Cents makes. I get ideas from them, then I do my own research for my computer builds. If Billet Labs has a return policy of some sort, I could even try it if I were looking for such a niche product with the comfort of knowing I could send it back if it ends up not working like Linus feels it wouldn't. And if it works, then I'm good to go. What is there to lose?
  5. I do feel sorry for Madison. Without being there, I assume that what she says is true. Part of not being quick to judge can also mean not being quick to dismiss accusations. I try to sympathize with such ones, even if I have to sympathize with both sides. The sexual misconduct was wrong and needs to be addressed as best possible.
  6. I do have questions about her other accusations about being forced to work more than she could handle. Why did she stay so long? Were there any laws or codes of conduct that were broken (besides the sexual harrasment)? Is this a case of just being the wrong person for the wrong job? Yes, I heard that she was replaced by a team, but so have many other positions, so there are still a lot of questions that would be best for an expert to look into. The point is that I sympathize with both Madison and LMG as a whole over this situation. I do feel that things could have been handled better, but there is no perfect job either. I don't see this as meaning LMG is a terrible company and needs to be burnt to the ground.

I look forward to the next LMG video!

I did see the video and I'm worried that this person feels entitled to analyze body language and expressions without any kind of training. He is just asuming things in his personal view as "correct" at the same time he believes he can disprove other peoples approach to problems and this journalistic work in particular.

People calling him "Dr." should reserve that title to where he has the qualifications.

13 minutes ago, JuntaPiezas said:

He is just asuming things in his personal view as "correct" at the same time he believes he can disprove other peoples approach to problems

I think this statement can be applied to the following:

Dr. Ian, aka: TechTechPotato

Dr. Linus from LTT

Dr. Steve from Gamer's Nexus

The only thing I do know is that those running any company or service (like tech reviews) are all imperfect and also have limits to what they can and cannot do, and may or may not be reasonably able to meet your bar of acceptability. If you don't like Kellogg's cereal, don't buy any. But don't tell me to not buy any just because you don't like it.

Time-Quality-Cost-1.png

And don't tell me who I can or can't call Dr.

3 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

I would be interested in a complete list of prooveable errors. I'd also be interested in the story on being apologetic for sponsor's legal statements. Such a list could bring to light how bad they really are or show they aren't that bad. On the other hand, I'd rather see the list in private, not have it posted on a public forum without first bringing such a list to the attention of the authors, (not for black mail, but for goodwill).

Just blanket stating that "[a lot of] benchmarks were way off on [their reviews]" could be considered slander too. If you raise the bar too high no one will be worthy of reviewing tech. You cannot expect perfection as there are 0 people who are perfect.

Do you have real proof that Linus Media Group has indeed created E-waste? How much? Where was it dumped? Which individuals and companies were the ones influenced into creating E-waste? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that objecting to some videos and then stating "a lot of people take benchmarks on Ltt like gospel" doesn't proove it's creating E-waste.

There is plenty of errors in their data some errors are upto 3x times better or worse than they actually should be . Steve covered some in his video . Other have raised concerns about it and i personally watched a few over the years that i had to double check myself . I don't expect perfection . I wish they would take the videos down or at least edit and reupload them when called out on it .  

certain Xeon benchmarks led to resellers been unable to sell them . THey ended up as E-waste . I still have contacts from my days in IT and they directly blame the benchmarks in the LTT video . Now LMG have 15 million subs . I think you could say with a good amount of confidence that they are gatekeepers to the tech world here on youtube . In my eyes they are partially to blame . The rest lay's on the shoulders of the lazy who don't look to any other party to compare benchmarks . They want it now , if that not good enough they will get something else . Its detrimental to the used server hardware market . Which in turn leads to E-waste . 

Now i do know that may not be  proof for you , and i have no numbers for you .  I am saying their miscommunication/ misrepresentation of data is the beginning of the chain for a certain amount of E-waste . How much that is i cant say with any accuracy with the limited data i can collect . I do know that a certain Zeon product . Which certain amount of sellers i know had lots of 50 of them . All got tossed into the bin . I might be only a small subset of whats thrown away . 

Asus tired to screw consumers earlier this year . Asus do sponsor LMG in certain videos by sending hardware for projects . Extreme tech upgrade , INtel and AMD versions of it . As Well as the ASUS ROG competitions they used to do .  SO yes ASUS is actively dealing with LMG . Yet linus didnt call them out on their antics . Basically ASUS will fix the issue was what he said . 

Now i am not trying to add fuel to the fire . I want LMG to be held up to their core values and and fix problems when they arise or are in conflict with their core values . I want them to at least take down videos with bad data published in them so both consumers ,sellers and resellers aren't affected . I also want them to call out BS from sponsors or manufacturers . Not say they will fix it . As i said LMG are gatekeepers here . What they publish effects more than just their income and has a wider reach than they think .  I really want them to realise that more so than anything else .

37 minutes ago, cornholio509 said:

There is plenty of errors in their data some errors are upto 3x times better or worse than they actually should be . Steve covered some in his video . Other have raised concerns about it and i personally watched a few over the years that i had to double check myself . I don't expect perfection . I wish they would take the videos down or at least edit and reupload them when called out on it .  

certain Xeon benchmarks led to resellers been unable to sell them . THey ended up as E-waste . I still have contacts from my days in IT and they directly blame the benchmarks in the LTT video . Now LMG have 15 million subs . I think you could say with a good amount of confidence that they are gatekeepers to the tech world here on youtube . In my eyes they are partially to blame . The rest lay's on the shoulders of the lazy who don't look to any other party to compare benchmarks . They want it now , if that not good enough they will get something else . Its detrimental to the used server hardware market . Which in turn leads to E-waste . 

Now i do know that may not be  proof for you , and i have no numbers for you .  I am saying their miscommunication/ misrepresentation of data is the beginning of the chain for a certain amount of E-waste . How much that is i cant say with any accuracy with the limited data i can collect . I do know that a certain Zeon product . Which certain amount of sellers i know had lots of 50 of them . All got tossed into the bin . I might be only a small subset of whats thrown away . 

Asus tired to screw consumers earlier this year . Asus do sponsor LMG in certain videos by sending hardware for projects . Extreme tech upgrade , INtel and AMD versions of it . As Well as the ASUS ROG competitions they used to do .  SO yes ASUS is actively dealing with LMG . Yet linus didnt call them out on their antics . Basically ASUS will fix the issue was what he said . 

Now i am not trying to add fuel to the fire . I want LMG to be held up to their core values and and fix problems when they arise or are in conflict with their core values . I want them to at least take down videos with bad data published in them so both consumers ,sellers and resellers aren't affected . I also want them to call out BS from sponsors or manufacturers . Not say they will fix it . As i said LMG are gatekeepers here . What they publish effects more than just their income and has a wider reach than they think .  I really want them to realise that more so than anything else .

I think we agree on a lot of points. I'm just trying to be fair to LMG, but yes, I also would like to see them improve. There's a lot of stuff that is easy to judge one way or another without a full investigation from an expert in the field. Are lots of 50 CPU's a lot of E-waste compared to other forms of E-waste. Sincerely I don't know. It sounds bad, and may be, but it may not be as bad as other things. Or maybe it is. I don't know.

I believe I hear other tech review youtubers saying something about not wanting to deal with ASUS or have them as a sponsor. (Was it Jaystwocents???)

One thing to note is I don't have proof of what LMG has done correctly either. If they make 25 videos a day (or 15 if you go by TechTechPotato's numbers) and several dozen are erroneous, that could still be a tiny fraction of total videos. Or their could be hundreds or thousands. I really don't know. But your post does help shed light on the subject. So thank you!

What I don't want  is to just stand by and watch everyone take out their pitchforks and go to LMG and hang everyone. I hope they do better, but without actual full report facts and numbers we are playing a guessing game here with only certain apparent or obvious errors to go by. If going by certain errors were the bar for being an acceptable company or not, no company could stand to meet the bar.

still radio silence on LMG end, this isn't good, last I checked a week was 7 days... Things must be worse then we though or something bad has been discovered...

15 minutes ago, TheBrickspaceTSB said:

still radio silence on LMG end, this isn't good, last I checked a week was 7 days... Things must be worse then we though or something bad has been discovered...

I mean the one week break was decided before Madison dropped her allegations, theres a chance, for one reason or another that they've decided to extend their little break.

Who know, we'll probably get something late tonight or early tomorrow at worst

1 hour ago, Issac Zachary said:

I think we agree on a lot of points. I'm just trying to be fair to LMG, but yes, I also would like to see them improve. There's a lot of stuff that is easy to judge one way or another without a full investigation from an expert in the field. Are lots of 50 CPU's a lot of E-waste compared to other forms of E-waste. Sincerely I don't know. It sounds bad, and may be, but it may not be as bad as other things. Or maybe it is. I don't know.

I believe I hear other tech review youtubers saying something about not wanting to deal with ASUS or have them as a sponsor. (Was it Jaystwocents???)

One thing to note is I don't have proof of what LMG has done correctly either. If they make 25 videos a day (or 15 if you go by TechTechPotato's numbers) and several dozen are erroneous, that could still be a tiny fraction of total videos. Or their could be hundreds or thousands. I really don't know. But your post does help shed light on the subject. So thank you!

What I don't want  is to just stand by and watch everyone take out their pitchforks and go to LMG and hang everyone. I hope they do better, but without actual full report facts and numbers we are playing a guessing game here with only certain apparent or obvious errors to go by. If going by certain errors were the bar for being an acceptable company or not, no company could stand to meet the bar.

In the grand scheme of things i don't think the E-waste generated from i explained is a large amount . Still any amount of E-waste created by bad data shouldn't exist . 

Jays 2 cents went all out and straight up cut ties with ASUS . THe majority of that decision was asus sending jay damaged motherboards more than a few times . Also ASUS dicked around on the sponsorship contract with his channel . He got tired of it . THe warranty issue was its own problem for more than just jay nearly everyone covered it . I think it was the icing on the cake for him . Jay is still salty with asus even now over that . He released a video a few weeks ago with an ASUS board and straight up said its the only board he had in that socket and size . So it was the only reason an ASUS product was in his video . 

I am the same with wanting people to put down the pitchforks and stop mob mentality calling for blood . That said i want the conversation to happen and people let LMG know where they went wrong and how to fix these problems . I know the video came out with the apology . Still a bit salty at the poor decision to leave in the jokes . So far they are sticking to their word . I wont say they have my trust back , but the fact they are keeping to what they said , i will give them some respect and the benefit of the doubt that they will do better . 

I don't want this to stop at LMG though . We need to hold every one in youtube tech world to the same standards  . One of my biggest gripes is every youtuber seems to have a different coolers for their tests . I wish they would all settle on X air cooler and X AIO liquid cooler and publish both benchmarks . It would normalise tests and make results easier to correlate results between channels . It drives me mad when i see one crows us a tower cooler , Others use a AIOs with different rad sizes for different CPUs . Others use custom loops with different CPU blocks and rad sizes and thickness  . 

55 minutes ago, TheBrickspaceTSB said:

If anything i would say probably wan show on friday with some info given during the show . THat would be my guess . Could be wrong . All depends on whats happening . How training is going , IF people left the company , Finally the investigation is probably delaying things .

CHill guys . GO play a game , SPend time with family and friends . Make a few phone calls or take up a hobby with the extra time you have on your hands at the moment . LTT videos will be back . 

LMG started with the right foot: failing a self imposed deadline.

At least it's a change.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

3 minutes ago, mMontana said:

At least it's a change.

No the only deadline implemented would be from fan expectations. I have had a number of week off vacations only to be told to take another week off. 

10 hours ago, cornholio509 said:

I am not trying to bash Linus here . The biggest issue is he has shown bias on more than one occasion . THe comments about not going back and fixing errors in videos because it costs money isn't a good enough excuse either . I have gone through a good chunk of the back catalogue of videos on youtube and there is a lot more than what steve just pointed out . WHile some of these products have rightly been bashed because performance didn't justify caust . Some have would a boon for the home server server crowd , but have completely botched benchmarks relegating them to E-waste  . Now Linus made claims about been against E waste and invested in framework . A company who's whole premise is reusable and upgradable laptops . However those product he had directly contributed them to becoming ewaste . Not to mention him been apologetic about ASUS and their LEGAL quotes on bios upgrades to cancel warranties . A big sponsor for hardware on their channel . It's been more than a few mistakes just recently .

Its going on for a few years and seemed to be when LMG stated exponentially increasing in sub counts . SO it could be said the need to get videos out and hold onto the audience increased the stress of staff and led to the mistakes , The refusal to edit these mistakes became clear in his latest statements . Remember we are not on about a youtube channel with a couple of million subs . 15 million is a big audience and has a larger reach than most in this space . What LMG does and says has a far wider impact then gamers nexus and the majority of tech youtubers have .

Now my big issue is in trusting LMG .  I will give them the benefit of the doubt that these mistakes are genuine . However the bias that has been shown has shattered my trust . So LMG has a lot of work to do from now on to gain my trust . I respect them for owning their mistakes  , but a lot of work needs to be done on their behalf i think before everyone's confidence is restored . 

IF i took your stance my business would have died 6 months ago when i just started and had very limited funds and  customers . I pumped 20,000 in tools when i had no customers just to get going . It was the hardest 6 months of my life .Thankfully now i am making cash . IF linus done that he wouldn't come out on top after spending millions that he has yet to see a return on . 

I do know one thing . If i took your stance at any point over the last 6 months i would be bankrupt . 

Your situation is different - Linus is already set and doesn’t need to keep going. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not suggesting someone who invested in a start up quit at the first sign of trouble. I’m suggesting that a person who is quite wealthy might want to move on for his and his family’s sake. No agenda here my friend. I too run a small start up on the side and was able to turn a profit the second year after a substantial investment in the first. 

On 8/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Yes, let's instigate thought and private conversation policing, that's sure to improve the work environment.

As to the asshat remark, may I suggest a mirror?

It was a tour for external guests. If I did a tour of my workplace and shit on the competition I'd expect to be to told off. 

Uft, boomer.

10 hours ago, Dwnld said:

The only thing Linus needs to "learn" from this all is that he can't reply to something right away when he sees a negative or provoking comment

Obviously missed the point of what this entire thing started over.

5 minutes ago, ShadowedFox said:

It was a tour for external guests. If I did a tour of my workplace and shit on the competition I'd expect to be to told off. 

Uft, boomer.

I read the response comment to what was said on that tour, where they itemized and explained all the processes they wanted to implement. That explanation alone was more than enough to sound professional and legitimate without even mentioning any competitors. 

Companies need to realize that if you are building yourself up, you can't name competitors. You just need to explain what you do and how you do it. People will make up their own mind. 

29 minutes ago, William Payne said:

No the only deadline implemented would be from fan expectations.

Was the C-Suite that said "one week".

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Just now, mMontana said:

Was the C-Suite that said "one week".

Yes correct, but does that mean that one such and such a date to the exact minute there will be no question a video released? Or or it the vague one week that implies "we will be back sometime next week. 

9 hours ago, Pepik said:

People waiting for the videos would probably welcome, if somebody from LMG told them, what is the latest development and if they are getting any videos today, and if not, when.

1 hour ago, mMontana said:

At least it's a change.

Well, another statement about the situation is now warranted, right?

7 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

I think this statement can be applied to the following:

Dr. Ian, aka: TechTechPotato

Dr. Linus from LTT

Dr. Steve from Gamer's Nexus

The only thing I do know is that those running any company or service (like tech reviews) are all imperfect and also have limits to what they can and cannot do, and may or may not be reasonably able to meet your bar of acceptability. If you don't like Kellogg's cereal, don't buy any. But don't tell me to not buy any just because you don't like it.

Time-Quality-Cost-1.png

And don't tell me who I can or can't call Dr.

people often get that image wrong its not pick 2 you can have all 3 but how they interact with each other differs.

example:

I can get a job done within a specific time frame and with a specific quality but it will cost this much

I can get a job done with a specific time frame and at a specific cost but you will only get this much quality

I can get a job done at a specific cost with and a specific quality but it will take this much time.

you don't out right lose one of the options it just adjusts based on the person asking for the work's priorities.

here's the real one that Business Admins/CEOs and Project managers use -- its called the triple constraint.

image.png.1a80593cbd27998e8a17bb269c8b0a85.png

On 8/21/2023 at 8:17 PM, DaseinBot said:

yeah youtube is now so boring without the daily ltt upload to watch with my dinner, i even started watching gn....

Haha yeah, I even watched a review of the Fractual Pop Air case which Ive already had 3 months....things are bad.

Whether there are serious work place conditions issues at LMG remains to be seen with regards to some of the more serious allegations....but from a selfish point of view I miss the content, I wasnt in it for benchmarks etc, mostly just Alex screwing around with AC units.

Do you guys only watch 1 youtube channel? I subscribe to over 150 youtube channels, no I don't watch them all at once. But I am constantly jumping between a dozen or so depending on who has released something I want to watch that day.