Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

But LMG is more than just Linus.  We dont know that Linus really had anything to do with the more serious allegations.  Right new we only KNOW that he was in the middle of the GN drama.

The problem is that Linus was head of the company when Madison was working there. In the leaked meeting he outright says to go to him or Yvonne for problems, which is unclear whether or not Madison actually did so.  Lets also not forget about Madisons claim of Linus beratting someone right in front of her for calling Linus out on shitty behavior.

1 hour ago, GitGudDandy said:

Combing their personal files to corroborate the allegations, when Madison states that company policy was to just talk it over as friends.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, etc.

so with no knowledge of any of the internal structure of reports to management, you just assume they wouldn't have a paper trail going with it and present that as fact?

1 minute ago, Booch121 said:

The problem is that Linus was head of the company when Madison was working there. In the leaked meeting he outright says to go to him or Yvonne for problems, which is unclear whether or not Madison actually did so.  Lets also not forget about Madisons claim of Linus beratting someone right in front of her for calling Linus out on shitty behavior.

Linus belittling another employee is just hearsay unless said employee steps forward.

Linus is so fucking unprofessional its crazy. WTF?????

Lol.  I wouldn't believe ANYTHING that comes from xQc.

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Nah.  The cutting would not work against her.  A Jury would not be made up of tech bros, and the people who watch them.  A jury would be made up of older women who were 20 once and men who have daughters who are 20ish.  People who know how crazy the 20's to early 30's can be.  People who know that maturity is a sliding scale and an uneven field.  

Everyone over the age of 40 has known a young woman who cut themself or harmed themself in some way.   Either cutting, or drugs, or something.  That is unless they were that person themself once.  A lot of young women just internalize everything.  Young men too.  Young men, on average, turn to harming others.  Young women turn to harming themselves.  (LGBT youth might do all of this to various degrees)  

People on the Jury will know this.  They'll also know that if she has issues that just makes her a more likely target either for a single predator or to be picked at by 50 awkward dudes.  (I am thinking this was more the 50 awkward dudes doing 50 awkward dude things that added up to a bad situation, with at least one dude laying on hands and not acting right about getting a hard no.). 

He doesn't say that he heard it from her that's all assumption.   

It's also irrelevant to the point.  He affirms that this is not something invented for clout or whatever in the last week.   Now, that there were issues is not proof there was legal harassment.  What she describes does not sound like a grey area of mixed signals.  It does not sound like ... boy meets girl, girl likes boy but not that much or maybe she does.  It sounds like girl goes to sausage fest, and too much sausage is offered when she's made it clear she's doesn't want it at work. 

Gonna be honest with you... in my experience some of the most harsh people dealing with younger women... are older women.

I remember a younger woman who was berated by an older manager (also a woman) because of how she dressed.  Basically said it wasn't professional, and that she needed to grow up. 

This is not an isolated thing, in my experience.  I think that her best bet is a jury UNDER the age of 40, not over.  Getting a jury in their 20's to 30's would be her best bet, because I will tell you now that the older people I have worked with don't believe in things like "mental health" or "mental health days"... obviously this is a generalization.

Also of note, I am not sure that defamation trials in Canada actually have the option of a Jury... since they are civil matters, and I am not clear on what the law regarding that is.  If there are no jury's, then it is a simple matter of a judge deciding who is right.

That all being said... I don't think this ever ends up in a court unless, somehow, and in the VERY unlikely event that an independent investigation not only finds no evidence of wrongdoing, but that also she was making everything up.  It would be absolutely stupid for LMG to take her to court, even if that was the case... it just makes them look worse.

Linus belittling another employee is just hearsay unless said employee steps forward.

Fair point. Although, if most of Madison's claims get verified its hard not to believe this happening. All we can do is wait though.

Just now, Booch121 said:

Fair point. Although, if most of Madison's claims get verified its hard not to believe this happening. All we can do is wait though.

I get it.  But in court it would not hold up.  It would be dismissed as hearsay.

Lol.  I wouldn't believe ANYTHING that comes from xQc.

I only believe it because its absolutely STUPID to say such a thing that can be easily debunked by a simple record of calls. XQC is absolutely stupid though, so who knows.

I get it.  But in court it would not hold up.  It would be dismissed as hearsay.

None of this will ever get to court. Literally none of it. And if it does, it will be a giant waste of time and money.

I only believe it because its absolutely STUPID to say such a thing that can be easily debunked by a simple record of calls. XQC is absolutely stupid though, so who knows.

I just dont think Linus would be dumb enough to do something like this given the state of things.  Even he would know that it would easily be traced back to him.  But who knows.  Seems all the YouTubers big and small are trying to capitalize on this story.  Its DKOldies all over again.

1 minute ago, Dragg3r said:

so with no knowledge of any of the internal structure of reports to management, you just assume they wouldn't have a paper trail going with it and present that as fact?

No, I suspect it's more that it's an established fact that the company structure was designed such that interpersonal issues would never reach upper management - that's what the leaked meeting was about, because the HR processes which would have allowed for that to happen weren't communicated to staff.

I don't think it's malice, just a bunch of people with zero experience of running a company doing exactly that, and trying to transition from "a bunch of mates in a scrappy startup" (where you don't need HR procedures and legal stuff) to "we employ people we've never met before whose history we don't know" (where you very much do).

Incidentally, I'd have thought that the first person to ask in the investigation, after Colin and David, would be whoever recorded that meeting. They obviously did so for a reason, and that'll be a job for the third-party investigator if they're capable of keeping their sources anonymous (assuming the individual still works there).

Just now, Booch121 said:

None of this will ever get to court. Literally none of it. And if it does, it will be a giant waste of time and money.

Yep.

The only thing LMG could realistically ask for in court is MAYBE to force some kind of retraction of her previous statements.  That is the BEST case scenario.  If they tried to sue her for damages... what are they going to get, other then more bad press?

Agreed.  100%

Does a "third part investigator" go around and ask everybody confidentially what they know? 

Just now, Sasha2D said:

Does a "third part investigator" go around and ask everybody confidentially what they know? 

They will inspect documents and perform interviews.

3 minutes ago, Booch121 said:

Linus is so fucking unprofessional its crazy. WTF?????

if this is true holy shit

Just now, Sasha2D said:

Generally, these companies will start by reviewing the files of the company itself, to figure out what, if anything the corporation knew.

They will then setup interviews with all employees.  The results of these interviews should be anonymous, and any statements made will not be attributed to specific employees.  Often when I have seen these things done, there won't even be direct quotes (since certain ways of saying things can lead to uncovering who it is), instead they will generalize and summarize what was said.

Just now, Sasha2D said:

My guess is that the Investigator will number #1, understand the claims from Madison and start at the bottom of the COC, most likely in her specific department.

Next he will conduct interviews with EVERYONE, involved or not, slowly going up the chain to the upper management. He will also ask for any sort of emails or recordings of meetings from the specific time period.

10 minutes ago, Dragg3r said:

I didn't quote anything as fact.

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

if this is true holy shit

It is XQC... I give it a 30% chance it is true, and a 70% chance he is referencing some other time something happened, or someone changed their name to Linus on twitter and messaged him and he was too dumb to notice.  I do not think Linus is dumb enough (especially considering his past interactions and statements about XQC) would vent to especially him, and especially knowing that XQC can't keep his mouth shut to save his life.

18 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Is it gender imbalance or just hiring the best person for the job though?  

Meritocracy's never work because they starve the governing party of different view points. Like in politics, a meritocracy might end up being a government made up just lawyers, who never pass anything that might be of benefit to someone who isn't a lawyer. See what I mean?

When you have a company that has a very lop-sided gender balance, that isn't small, you are inevitably going to have situations where under-represented (eg gender, race) aspects get ignored, which results situations where the company continues to make gaffs, until something potentially fatal to the company happens.

Like look at the AI facial recognition tech. The reason it's so awful is because the the training data lacks the equal diversity necessary to not erase under-represented faces from being erased from the weights.

I pointed out the gender balance because gender balance is one of the easiest things to solve, simply hire, or create new positions to fix it. LMG could have a female host and a few female writers to do one segment and then slowly bring them into other content. If it doesn't work, then you keep trying until you find someone who does vibe well with everyone. 

Race balance is a lot harder to solve because the metro Vancouver area has few "black communities", they were displaced 50 years ago to build a freeway.  1.2% of the population. Where as Asian communities are 40%. But again, look at the team page, I'd say the race diversity could use some work, but it's a lot closer to the actual racial make up of Metro Vancouver, and better than some bigger businesses.

But again, I'm going to point out the hosts and writers are mostly white and that does not reflect the diversity of the Metro Vancouver. But it's less urgent to solve since the overall staff does.

There are companies that over-weight gender or race makeup, and it results in alienation of the under-represented groups, and potentially making the company unproductive during certain parts of the year (see Christmas - Hanukkah - Lunar/Chinese New Year) because too many people take the day/week off, and then you end up with communication problems from tasks being ignored.

The Madison issue, to me was that LMG hired her because she seemed like a good "fit" on camera. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe the next time LMG hires a woman for a writer or on-camera host role, they will recognize that the existing bro-culture that seems to exist is actually unproductively bad.

i wonder if this is why my mom is having a hard time getting a job 

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

Just now, RatKnight said:

It is XQC... I give it a 30% chance it is true, and a 70% chance he is referencing some other time something happened, or someone changed their name to Linus on twitter and messaged him and he was too dumb to notice.  I do not think Linus is dumb enough (especially considering his past interactions and statements about XQC) would vent to especially him, and especially knowing that XQC can't keep his mouth shut to save his life.

idk his responses have dramatically lowered my expectations of him. but yeah its xqc so who knows