Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

Just now, Sasha2D said:

When did I fucking say this HMM? Putting words in my mouth? 

I'm saying statistically out of 100 surely its plausible that at least one or a couple did something.

Well you don't seem to be my type either, I'm assuming your a guy? 🤔

The question is not what 1 or 2 or 100 people did.

The questions are whether 1) The company was made aware of it (in this case the legal entity, or people in leadership who could have responded), and 2) How they responded if they were.

If she never reported it internally, the questions become more... complicated.  Like, was there a culture or unwritten policy stopping the reporting?  Did she not report it because of some other reason?

These are all things that we cannot answer, and will hopefully come out from an independent 3rd party investigation.

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Case in point LMG.  Not dead... but it has Aidsbolavid. 

@StevesHair once an organization is over a certain size one can expect proportional representation of different groups to occur naturally. It does not mean lowering standards. It said something that an organization based in Vancouver, which is a pretty diverse place for Canada, is overwhelmingly White and male. 

I don't completely blame this company for that part of it is a reflection of the biases and expectations of the audience. 

The people I teach are the same demographic.  I've had them think that they knew more math than me even though they literally failed an entrance exam to get into my remedial / developmental class.  So it's not that white males are necessarily qualified to talk Tech but on YouTube one of the qualifications is being a face that a biased audience will trust.

Some fields will tend to be more gender unbalanced than others.  Tech has always leaned more towards the male side.  It all depends on the situation.

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

Anyone know if it's standard practice for HR to tell the parties to talk to each other? I find it a bit weird. If madison was as emotional as she seems then it's not a good idea, and obvious the part about going to HR failed.

Absolutely not, once you go to HR about something they become involved. No proper HR sends you away to "deal with it yourself" and come back if that doesn't work.
This is speaking from 20+ years of experience in senior management roles in the hospitality sector working in companies ranging from 100-1000 employees.

1 minute ago, RatKnight said:

The question is not what 1 or 2 or 100 people did.

The questions are whether 1) The company was made aware of it (in this case the legal entity, or people in leadership who could have responded), and 2) How they responded if they were.

If she never reported it internally, the questions become more... complicated.  Like, was there a culture or unwritten policy stopping the reporting?  Did she not report it because of some other reason?

These are all things that we cannot answer, and will hopefully come out from an independent 3rd party investigation.

In the meeting audio, Linus mentions “spreading rumors”. 

Occam’s razor says she was fired for spreading rumors about another employee and fired when leadership was made aware. Final nail in the coffin.

Just now, vorg.eth said:

DJ, did you even read my response?  You keep saying the sky is falling.  Screwing over anyone in the future that tells the truth when it does. 

Nobody said the sky is falling, maybe go back to kindergarten to learn how to read?

Everyone is saying her claims should be investigated, and they seem truthful because they're all believable (techbro frat culture, young woman surrounded by dudes with no training, fast paced environment where everyone is only looking out for themselves). You're the only one trying to turn it into a bigger thing by talking about MeToo. Maybe go outside and talk to a real woman at some point?

2 minutes ago, ImpliedSilence said:

Absolutely not, once you go to HR about something they become involved. No proper HR sends you away to "deal with it yourself" and come back if that doesn't work.
This is speaking from 20+ years of experience in senior management roles in the hospitality sector working in companies ranging from 100-1000 employees.

Unfortunately it's sadly believable that this is the way LMG operates (or at least operated as of a couple years ago) because it's pretty clear that the company culture and procedures were still coming from the mindset "We're just a rag-tag little group of bros working out of a house" when the reality is they were a multimillion dollar enterprise with an employee headcount in the dozens and rising. 

"We're all friends here, if you've got a beef with your friend you've just gotta talk to them and work it out." 

That shit maybe kind of works at the startup stage where all the employees actually are close friends. LMG is way past that stage. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Blaming them because they are tech bros, and blaming her because she is a woman, are equally just as bad. If anything I could see the identity clash being between millenials and a zoomer, but certainly not male and female.

7 minutes ago, xg32 said:

huh looking at colin's post i just realized colin, jono AND brandon all left LMG, that's the kinda talent u cant just replace. Anyway, sorta off topic.

But at the very least it's likely someone was extremely toxic toward her. 

Anyone know if it's standard practice for HR to tell the parties to talk to each other? I find it a bit weird. If madison was as emotional as she seems then it's not a good idea, and obvious the part about going to HR failed.

No. Practice is to try to have the two parties separated as best as possible. If the HR team is telling the two parties to talk to eachother about an issue that was brought to HR without mediation and review, that's a major breech of almost every HR and conflict resolution standard I've seen.

1 minute ago, schwarzerrogen said:

No. Practice is to try to have the two parties separated as best as possible. If the HR team is telling the two parties to talk to eachother about an issue that was brought to HR without mediation and review, that's a major breech of almost every HR and conflict resolution standard I've seen.

I think they meant to let the offending party know that they are making an unwanted advance. Some people lack the common sense needed to know they are doing something wrong.

Can I listen to the leaked meeting audio? Send here or via PM if it’s available (WeTransfer is good if someone downloaded the file).

Just now, creat0r said:

Can I listen to the leaked meeting audio? Send here or via PM if it’s available (WeTransfer is good if someone downloaded the file).

It's been posted like a million times.

Just now, creat0r said:

Just go to the LTT subreddit.  Its like the top post.

I could be wrong, but she won something to appear on screen with Linus, then was offered a job based on that appearance?? Linus announced she was hired before she accepted any offers?  

Was she vetted? how did the first 90 days go.. toxic or not why wasnt it identified early on that they were not a good fit?  She mentioned they had problems with her work output, why was the output acceptable in the probation period, then fell off?  LMG has female employees, are they all treated the same way? What made her the unicorn to receive the hostility?   

its all just weird, I must be missing some details 

Just now, Blahx said:

I could be wrong, but she won something to appear on screen with Linus, then was offered a job based on that appearance?? Linus announced she was hired before she accepted any offers?  

Was she vetted? how did the first 90 days go.. toxic or not why wasnt it identified early on that they were not a good fit?  She mentioned they had problems with her work output, why was the output acceptable in the probation period, then fell off?  LMG has female employees, are they all treated the same way? What made her the unicorn to receive the hostility?   

Possibly because she had changed countries and they gave her the benefit of the doubt because it would have been hard for her to just pack back up and move back to the US if she didn't work out?  I dunno.  Just speculating.  It could have been a number of things.  Maybe her work in the first 90 days was good.  It was probably more training than anything so the workload wasnt there yet.  We can only assume at this point.

9 minutes ago, Blahx said:

I believe a part of the community begs or demanded she be hired, and if true then LTT made it's first mistake from a professional standard: don't hire someone just because social media wants it. Not saying this excuses anything, but that's just poor practice.

As to the probation/90 days, I believe this situation was why the 90 day rule for videos, and probation, was instituted.

The above is incorrect, igore

Others can likely comment on some of the other stuff as I don't remember the announcements or anything.

Edited by schwarzerrogen
Edited for accuracy

5 minutes ago, creat0r said:

Just listen on reddit.

This font is amazing.

5 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Awesome, you found a few photos.  

The fact is, Tech is a male saturated field.  I didn't say there were NO women in tech.

You said that Tech was somehow something that leans towards men.

The history of computer technology shows that's not true. 

Just now, Uttamattamakin said:

Leans towards men meaning there are more men in that field.  You misunderstood me.  I wasnt discrediting women in the field at all.  Just addressing that more men tend to be in the tech field.

10 minutes ago, Blahx said:

She was extremely popular with the audience in her appearance in the ROG Rig Reboot video. There was a bit of a "Hire Madison" meme campaign among the fans, and Madison openly wanted to work at LTT. Linus at first turned down her application (publicly saying so on the WAN Show, which I thought was somewhat unprofessional) but then changed his mind and said he'd hire her after all. 

10 minutes ago, Blahx said:

LMG has female employees, are they all treated the same way? What made her the unicorn to receive the hostility?   

We don't know. Could be a lot of them have gotten some of the same shit and haven't found it worth it to speak up, could be Madison was singled out. As I said in a post yesterday, assholes/abusers don't treat everyone equally badly all the time. Sometimes they target one person for their own reasons (attraction, dislike, simply thinking a particular person is the easiest target). It's been suggested that perhaps Madison getting the job based (at least in part) on her popularity with the fans led to resentment by some coworkers, but that's pure speculation. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Tech in the last 30-40 years absolutely leans towards men in the majority of roles.  That's not some hidden agenda take or falsehood, it's quite noticeable.

3 minutes ago, schwarzerrogen said:

As to the probation/90 days, I believe this situation was why the 90 day rule for videos, and probation, was instituted.

No. The probation/trial period policy was in place before Madison was hired. They specifically talked about how she would go through it like every other new hire, because as soon as Linus said he'd hire her there would be fans demanding to know why she wasn't immediately in videos. 

Just now, Middcore said:

No. The probation/trial period policy was in place before Madison was hired. They specifically talked about how she would go through it like every other new hire, because as soon as Linus said he'd hire her there would be fans demanding to know why she wasn't immediately in videos. 

I stand corrected, thank you.

14 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

once an organization is over a certain size one can expect proportional

The issue is that tech is a very white male dominated field. Morgan ames in her book the charisma machine succinctly shows how culture, especially online culture has pre set the expectations of being a "nerd" as a male thing. It is frankly impossible to have a proportional representation in fields like this because of systemic and cultural exclusion. That is why there needs to be a DEI policies at workplaces. LMG suffers from a classic problem, where most people are not toxic themselves, but do not have the skills to deal with people belonging to minority communities because of a lack of diversity. I seriously hope LMG takes steps to make their workplace better for employees of differing backgrounds by instituting some DEI policies.