Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, jitteryzeitgeist said:

There is no other block.

He stole their only working prototype.

I cannot stress enough that, not only did they not give the prototype back, they waited until there was a big public stink to angrily write a check, only to complain that this should have been done quietly.

This reminded me of (I think) a ShortCircuit video where (I think) Colton unboxes something, pulls out the instructions, says "won't be needing this", discards it then messes up the assembly. As I was trying to find it, I noticed a pinned comment on this video with a correction: the video says the product requires a $10/mo subscription, but a lifetime subscription is actually included with purchase of the product. YouTube says the comment was posted 2 weeks ago while the video was posted 3 weeks ago. Wonder how many other videos I've watched without realizing it was wrong and would be corrected a week later.

Just now, divito said:

To provide a comprehensive and objective compendium of information about hardware. Distilling a hardware review into a 10-20 minute video for the average computer user is wholly different than white papers and/or other detailed technical analysis and reviews of products/hardware.

Wait so what's it called when someone does a formal assessment of a product for the purpose of critical appraisal? There has to be a shorter name for that kind of content.

Just now, VisibleXela said:

Wait so what's it called when someone does a formal assessment of a product for the purpose of critical appraisal? There has to be a shorter name for that kind of content.

Preview?

Unview?

Accuracy is important. Very important.

Errors will happen internally. You, me, the third person or AI to post on this page. We've all committed (and/or will commit) errors to varying degrees in a professional capacity.

In analytics, it's as simple as misunderstanding relationships between datasets. In finance/accounting, we're talking about a miskeyed cell on an excel sheet because the professional didn't have an LTT mousepad.

However, successful companies have a firm grasp on QA before goods/information goes public. Bruteforce the QA process with eyeballs right now if the necessary controls don't exist.

LMG is supposed to be the best. It's the dream and the market positioning sought. Therefore, better is not good enough. Your viewership expects content that's as palatable as water from an LTT water bottle. The best.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

@LinusTech buy anouther billetlabs block and re run the review

I will await the results that indicate that your inital findings where correct you get vinidcated and the angry masses get a sock put in it 

its win win BET! /s 

this would nothing change, how he handle criticism shows how out of touch Linus or LMG have become

Just now, jitteryzeitgeist said:

Preview?

Unview?

No, a "preview" is for when the product is yet to release, LTT also does critical appraisals (etc.) after the product releases. I don't think "un" makes sense as a prefix either.

I guess it'll forever remain a mystery.

14 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

theft by conversion is what the billetlabs would be if anything

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/theft-by-conversion.html

does this change the fact that product is stupid? 

nope

would putting the block on a a 3090 change the fact that the product is a poor value

also no 

also if its such a big deal: where is billetlabs statement on this?

also if they auctioned it off by accident which I can totally understand given the bethomth of a machine being run by litteral monkeys 

why don't you just get it back: contact the party that has it offer them a couple G for it and say mea culpa that wasn't suposed to be forsale

prototypes or review product getting `sold` in this manner happens more then you think its not entirely uncommon 

Poor value to who? 

The product wasn't tested properly, so we can't really make any assumptions about it's performance or value. It was also a prototype, so performance could have been refined more in the final product. Anyone who water cools knows you can't just slap any waterblock on any card, you have to consider clearances, mounting pressure, all kinds of specific things that can impact performance.

That review was like testing a DDR5 motherboard with DDR4 and then saying the DDR5 motherboard is trash because the thing that was clearly not engineered or designed to work with it did not work - all while being a supposed expert in the industry and being fully aware that the product was not going to perform as it should but not caring because "it's not financially in our best interest to reshoot with the proper review conditions"

I imagine Billet Labs has been quiet because they are a small company of 2 people, Linus already dumped all over them in a video and again on WAN Show, so I imagine they didn't want to risk further damage to their brand.

1 minute ago, Aiken Drum said:

-he didn't go through proper journalistic practices.

LOL, did he really type that?

Well what he has done is that on basically every video this year, have NOT used proper journalistic practices. 

Far from it. 

Given how much a clown Linus always is on screen, and the lack of care and seriousness in doing proper tech reviews, it would be more fitting to rename Linus Media Group to Linus Media Circus, and rename Linus Tech Tips to Linus Circus Show. 

Just now, VisibleXela said:

No, a "preview" is for when the product is yet to release, LTT also does critical appraisals (etc.) after the product releases. I don't think "un" makes sense as a prefix either.

I guess it'll forever remain a mystery.

Shame.

I think you were really on to something there.

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

So in your worldview, an Amazon review = CNET review = Tom's Hardware review = LTT review = GN review? Surely being called reviews makes them equal.

@LinusTech I've been watching your videos for many years and I just wanted to add my 2 cents as well - your videos are very entertaining and I enjoy watching but I think you're missing the point based on your responses. You seem to plan to continue doing the same thing and keep talking about how much you invested in your lab. You kinda brushed aside the waterblock issue by just saying that you're going to give them money but haven't sent the payment yet.

Please just slow down and release less videos with higher quality and more QA. This isn't a problem to solve with more money and bigger labs... this is a problem to solve with time, care about the material, and attention to detail.

Steve didn't attack you, he did you a favor. Everyone was already saying and thinking these things... GamersNexus just said it in public.

3 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

I cannot stress enough that, not only did they not give the prototype back, they waited until there was a big public stink to angrily write a check, only to complain that this should have been done quietly.

Maybe linus knows where it went (and it would look very very bad for him to admit where it went) and is paying billet a huge sum to sign an NDA? Granted that's speculation, and all we know is "it was a mistake" ... with no actual transparency on how the mistake came about or where it is now or any details about what the settlement with billet actually entails ... 

4 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

@LinusTech buy anouther billetlabs block and re run the review

I will await the results that indicate that your inital findings where correct you get vinidcated and the angry masses get a sock put in it 

its win win BET! /s 

And this is how you recognise a proper fanboy. You don't care about the process, or what was involved in it and why. You just want the opinions you disagree with to be silenced because your team  is now looking like crap.

I would really hope that the review done properly would confirm the findings of the first, because it would remove the shadow  of unprofessionalism and lack of integrity that  hangs over LTT now. 

The problem would still remain that it was needed to begin with because of the manner the first one was conducted with.

6 minutes ago, divito said:

Yes, they provide reviews. But that's like saying you trust an Amazon review. Just because something is called a review ignores the context, scope and information in that review. LTT, while providing "reviews" of hardware, is a more topical look at an item; more in-depth than an unboxing, but far less than a detailed look that other channels or websites offer for certain hardware. Hence, Linus has attested to his vision for the Labs.

But they claimed it otherwise they take data from the lab in many recent videos they used his data to marketing for himself (LMG)

5 minutes ago, divito said:

While that's a valid option in some sense, paying two separate teams of people to do the same thing for different platforms is ultimately redundant when the goal is one process, not to mention the logistical nightmare of inventory tracking and timeline issues, especially when it comes to embargos.

The way LTT used to do reviews was through the writing team, and I don't think any of them migrated over to labs, so it wouldn't have necessarily have been redundant. LTT could have done the review of the product, sent it to Labs, who did their own internal review then checked against the LTT review as a sanity check. As it stands, Labs doesn't appear to even be doing sanity checks to ensure that their data is in-line with what their peers or the manufacturer are coming up with and just YOLOing it for... reasons. Something Steve covered in the video.

Whatever the excuse, the data the Labs team is producing is... marginally useful despite the investment Linus is making in it. I don't think many of us could tell the difference between LTT and Labs testing results unless you were a trained lab tech.

Just now, divito said:

So in your worldview, an Amazon review = CNET review = Tom's Hardware review = LTT review = GN review? Surely being called reviews makes them equal.

Amazon review is some dude in their underoos shilling for free products by posting false 5 star reviews.  Guy at my work did it.

LTT has a 10 million dollar facility and can't even get basic game settings right.

6 minutes ago, throwawayManMode said:

Wait a second, I was with you until you started throwing Pizza Hut under the bus. Nobody out-pizzas the Hut!

Yes, I created an account just to defend my favorite pizza place 😆

Their pan pizza is amazing. What are you talking about? 

My two cents even though no one asked for it:

I think LTT should work with Billet Labs to come to nicer resolution. I think a video on this topic could be interesting, especially if you do change the way you do things at LTT as a result of this situation.

At the current pace, I literally can not consume all the content on all of your channels, even though I'm interested in everything. I would support LTT slowing down 100%.

I was excited for Labs because I'd like to see LTT reviews get more technical. Accurate information is important to me. Give me the nerdy details. What are your processes? I'd love to hear it.

As long as Linus' relationship with Framework is disclosed as it has been. I'm cool with it.

Just now, divito said:

My expectations from different reviewers is that I'll take their individual tastes into account, and make my own decision. I also expect the data used to not be wildly off.

2 minutes ago, terozzz said:

-he didn't go through proper journalistic practices.

LOL, did he really type that?

Well what he has done is that on basically every video this year, have NOT used proper journalistic practices. 

Far from it. 

To Linus, a "proper journalistic practice" is to throw in 5 sponsors, make clown show, and promote products at least 10 time in the show. Steve didn't even monetize! That's definitely not proper journalistic practice.

7 minutes ago, jymotion said:

This reminded me of (I think) a ShortCircuit video where (I think) Colton unboxes something, pulls out the instructions, says "won't be needing this", discards it then messes up the assembly. As I was trying to find it, I noticed a pinned comment on this video with a correction: the video says the product requires a $10/mo subscription, but a lifetime subscription is actually included with purchase of the product. YouTube says the comment was posted 2 weeks ago while the video was posted 3 weeks ago. Wonder how many other videos I've watched without realizing it was wrong and would be corrected a week later.

Whats scary about that is most of the views come in the first 24 hours after a video is posted. This is like a newspaper issuing a correction and burying it on page 15 in tiny print. No one is going to notice that but its cover for them to say it was corrected. 

Just now, ClarissKrays said:

My two cents even though no one asked for it:

I think LTT should work with Billet Labs to come to nicer resolution. I think a video on this topic could be interesting, especially if you do change the way you do things at LTT as a result of this situation.

At the current pace, I literally can not consume all the content on all of your channels, even though I'm interested in everything. I would support LTT slowing down 100%.

I was excited for Labs because I'd like to see LTT reviews get more technical. Accurate information is important to me. Give me the nerdy details. What are your processes? I'd love to hear it.

As long as Linus' relationship with Framework is disclosed as it has been. I'm cool with it.

Billet Labs gave them a prototype for testing and Linus treated it like a joke and then stole it.

Why does Billet Labs need to do anything?

It's interesting to see people say that Linus's response sounds corporate. To me, it sounds exactly like a typical WAN-show-style half-apology.

A great response would have been along the lines of "we're sorry, we hear you, thank you for bringing this to our attention, here's how we're going to do better:"
A corporate response would have been unhelpful, but also neutral.

And then there's the response given: 'Steve was wrong for pointing out our mistakes to the public, oh were not perfect, everyone is still wrong about the Billet situation, and also I paid them enough to leave this alone, and I'm upset people are mad over this".

C'mon, man. Really? I know you probably thought that was honest, but it's not good enough.

People are understandably upset. You want us to move past this? Give us something that proves we should. Tell us how you're going to do better. Give us something that we can hold you to. Assure me that within timeframe x we can expect improvements y,z. 

Don't take this event as a personal attack, consider it a big red flag and let's find out how to move past it.