Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

All this shows me only one thing: how hateful and drama addicted today's online society is. All this is a huge invitation to stay away from "social" media.

Social media is poison to the mind. I have stated outright, the only reason I am here is to call GN out for bad journalism. The language he used in both videos was at best rapacious. I recognized it for what it was and came here, registered an account and explained to anyone that was willing to read that I feel GN was at best disingenuous. Since then I have defended my stance and reiterated my stance several times. Everything is documented here on this forum you are more than welcome to read it all.

12 minutes ago, MercuryRain said:

If that were true, there would be an edited video up right now that added further context to the Billet Labs situation.

Please enlighten me on this bombshell information which will add so much more context. Let me guess, the fact the Billet Labs was originally going to let LMG keep the block?

Let me laugh even harder.

Just now, IKWMTY said:

Please enlighten me on this bombshell information which will add so much more context. Let me guess, the fact the Billet Labs was originally going to let LMG keep the block?

Perhaps you prefer to maintain willful ignorance.  You are not everybody, that is valuable information and it does affect the entire situation.  Because suddenly it isn't 'oh hey, Linus didn't give us something we lent him back' it's 'We gave him something in exchange for a review, which had no obligation to be positive, and then we begged for it back when he didn't review it the way we wanted and we didn't get it back'

Just now, IKWMTY said:

I believe it was Colton Potter who handled the emails regarding the property of Billet Labs. He did apologize and LTT/LMG to my knowledge reimbursed Billet Labs. Again one must credit LTT/LMG for working very hard to correct their mistakes. It is just unfortunate that GN didn't give LTT the opportunity to truly respond via proper channels. Again GN's motive is in question here. Not the fact that LTT/LMG made a lot of mistakes. We all recognise it as fact.

13 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

Social media is poison to the mind. I have stated outright, the only reason I am here is to call GN out for bad journalism. The language he used in both videos was at best rapacious. I recognized it for what it was and came here, registered an account and explained to anyone that was willing to read that I feel GN was at best disingenuous. Since then I have defended my stance and reiterated my stance several times. Everything is documented here on this forum you are more than welcome to read it all.

3m3m, i went to your activity page and I tried to find the post that has evidence that GN is disingenuous.  But perhaps the few lines shown won't do justice to something you posted.

I am not a fan boy of either LMG or GN. I do try to stay objective. 

I won't debate the reasons why GN may have decided to go the way they did. What I'm interested in, is whether the facts are true.

Are the benchmarks wrong that he pointed out?

I do agree that LMG has had a poor methodology for editing and correcting videos. Adding an *text with a correction... I agree they need to do better.

I'm sure there was more but I can't recall at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

if it is worth it to you or not isn't the point...
the review have to be treated with professional respect and the facts about it told
if rich people want to fool around and build and insane custom machine then that is their choice... just like people can make pink pc's or whatever they want, again not your choice...
and if he thinks 800 is too much why did he sell whale tickets for 10.000 to his LTX show?

I never specified anywhere it’s worth to myself. I specified that I doubt it would worth spending that much. By implication, I was referring to Jay’s audience. Since I doubt he’ll make the review for myself and no one else to watch. 
If rich people want to fool around, they can buy 800 dollars copper monoblocks to use as paperweights, I couldn’t care less. I never, ever said anything in regards to  choosing anything for somebody else, as you imply. 

Given how you write, I presume English is not your native language, so I’ll leave it at that. It’s not mine either, it’s actually the third language I learned out of the 5 that I speak. However, I always do my best to understand, what people express, before I reply. Maybe you should try that sometime. 

2 minutes ago, MercuryRain said:

Perhaps you prefer to maintain willful ignorance.  You are not everybody, that is valuable information and it does affect the entire situation.  Because suddenly it isn't 'oh hey, Linus didn't give us something we lent him back' it's 'We gave him something in exchange for a review, which had no obligation to be positive, and then we begged for it back when he didn't review it the way we wanted and we didn't get it back'

Lying doesn't help your position.

Billet Labs asked for the block back. LMG agreed to send it back. Instead, LMG auctioned off the block. Billet Labs asks reimbursement. Colton doesn't know how to use email. Shiatstorm ensues. Linus goes into timeout for a week.

Exactly as GN reported and verified by LMG in their embarrassing apology episode.

Case closed. 

2 hours ago, Majestic12 said:

Be honest for a moment: do you honestly think GN would have ever reviewed this?

They would make fun on the worst of the year, with a whole sketch of it trying to kill someone.

29 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

Social media is poison to the mind.

I don't agree: social media are only the way, angry and vindicative people is the poison.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 minutes ago, Clasmir said:

3m3m, i went to your activity page and I tried to find the post that has evidence that GN is disingenuous.  But perhaps the few lines shown won't do justice to something you posted.

I am not a fan boy of either LMG or GN. I do try to stay objective. 

I won't debate the reasons why GN may have decided to go the way they did. What I'm interested in, is whether the facts are true.

Are the benchmarks wrong that he pointed out?

I do agree that LMG has had a poor methodology for editing and correcting videos. Adding an *text with a correction... I agree they need to do better.

I'm sure there was more but I can't recall at the moment.

In the interest of fairness, I honestly didn't post links with timelines and didn't want to do that. The main reason is I would have had to use GN video, explain my thoughts and also use other videos of other creators that also reacted to the situation. That is a lot of content sharing and I don't live in Canada or America. So I don't know what the rules are on this forum regarding such a post. Also, I don't know what legalities are involved as I am not an expert on Canadian or American publishing and fair use policies. So I avoided the situation.

However, I do know that the Noah Katz situation was well-published and well-documented by GN. My objection is why didn't GN apply the same journalistic principles to LTT/LMG. I believe that is a fair assessment and one that GN should address. 

Lastly, thank you for your kind words. 🙂

12 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

I believe it was Colton Potter who handled the emails regarding the property of Billet Labs. He did apologize and LTT/LMG to my knowledge reimbursed Billet Labs. Again one must credit LTT/LMG for working very hard to correct their mistakes. It is just unfortunate that GN didn't give LTT the opportunity to truly respond via proper channels. Again GN's motive is in question here. Not the fact that LTT/LMG made a lot of mistakes. We all recognise it as fact.

Get your facts straight. Linus didn't contact Billet Labs until after the initial GN video. Doesn't matter the Colton "tried" to contact them but is incapable of using email correctly.

GN's motives don't matter and is nothing but misguided speculation on your part.

You (and Linus) cry about people assigning motives to LMG/Linus but are quick to do the same thing to GN. Hypocrite much?

1 hour ago, 3m3m said:

You do know this is not about LTT messing up. This is not about LMG having problems. You do know this right? GN needed views they have been sitting on the low end of the subscriber count for almost as long as LTT existed. People don't find the channel that interesting. That said and you can check this out yourself, every time there is drama GN grows a little. Not by much mind you but just enough for them to believe they are still relevant. With the Noah Katz thing they really saw a good few extra views. Again we don't get the full statistics, it might actually be insignificant or significant. 

The reality is GN could have handled it differently. In fact, there was a time when GN would outright attack smaller YouTubers for taking on LTT.

What change? Well, they got angry. They wanted to do as much damage to LTT as they could. They succeeded. But they didn't realize that some of us recognize what they did and are calling GN out for it.

I agree with you except for the "as much data as they could". I think that's going a bit too far. However, you're right about their subscriber count stagnating - I said this very early on after the scandal hit on their own video. They should not exploit scandals to get more viewers. It's one thing to report on them, it's another to give it an ugly spin to drum up drama which is what they did with LGM and what they have done with other companies before.

1 minute ago, IKWMTY said:

Get your facts straight. Linus didn't contact Billet Labs until after the initial GN video. Doesn't matter the Colton "tried" to contact them but is incapable of using email correctly.

GN's motives don't matter and is nothing but misguided speculation on your part.

You (and Linus) cry about people assigning motives to LMG/Linus but are quick to do the same thing to GN. Hypocrite much?

Wow again, you'd make a great judge (and this time the sarcasm is so thick you can no longer see through it).

You realize there's a different between malicious intent and simply being incompetent right? Colton fucked up but unless you're going to claim it was done on purpose, GN overstepped its mark. 

7 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

In the interest of fairness, I honestly didn't post links with timelines and didn't want to do that. The main reason is I would have had to use GN video, explain my thoughts and also use other videos of other creators that also reacted to the situation. That is a lot of content sharing and I don't live in Canada or America. So I don't know what the rules are on this forum regarding such a post. Also, I don't know what legalities are involved as I am not an expert on Canadian or American publishing and fair use policies. So I avoided the situation.

However, I do know that the Noah Katz situation was well-published and well-documented by GN. My objection is why didn't GN apply the same journalistic principles to LTT/LMG. I believe that is a fair assessment and one that GN should address. 

It's clear you haven't watched the Artesian Builds video, or the Newegg video, or the any videos where GN treats LMG just like another corporation. 

Just extract the quotes that prove you right with a time and I'll be happy to watch the clip.

Just drop the "he didn't contact LMG" whine. It makes you argument look worse than it already is.

2 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

You realize there's a different between malicious intent and simply being incompetent right? Colton fucked up but unless you're going to claim it was done on purpose, GN overstepped its mark. 

How did GN "overstepped its mark"? Did GN state that it was malicious? 

Yes, it would have made LMG even worse if they acted maliciously instead of just incompletely but the end effect is the same to Billet Labs.

3 hours ago, Loopers said:

May want to look in the mirror, bud.

Did you comprehend what you read from @Arneun or is it easier to deflect with unrelated points. Go read his\her post again and respond without deflection.

See above as that is being obtuse and among the most disingenuous points of view I've seen yet.

When you light a company on fire with incendiary statements due to lazy reporting because "I didn't need to reach out," GN (Steve) is guilty of the very ethical lazy reporting he accused LMG of. Keep your emotion out of your commentary and unless you can respond objectively, why bother?

Linus' statement about a 10 million dollar lab, go ahead and have at that. I called him out for assuming money will make them better. It won't and GN or HU are proof you don't need to toss $10 million at the wall for accuracy. You want to have at LMG for typical cooperate bullshit, have at it but also acknowledge the guy stepped down because it was overwhelming. I assume he felt overwhelmed and hired a seasoned CEO to handle the business.

Billet withheld pertinent information when communicating with Steve or Steve didn't do his homework and looked foolish reporting on potential theft when that would have been answered had he done what he accused LMG of; put some effort in to reach out for comment and seen proof of an email (albeit didn't cc Billet) was in the process of being sent back, albeit late.

That said, this was a courtesy return. LMG owned the hardware. It was given to them and Billet changed their mind after the shitty "review" and the bad-mouthing had Linus done. I'd want my hardware back as well or at least hope they would return it despite knowing I gave it to them. They gambled by sending it to the largest outlet when no offense to LMG, GN would have been the better option and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. All three parties involved share a form of blame in one way or the other.

Linus lied - straight up lied - about reaching a to get a conclusion with  Billet - he did that *after* the GN video.

Selling the block to me wasn't the issue - it was not testing it properly - then outright refusing to test it "because money".

I brought up the willfiul inacurracy of LMG groups videos, it owners factually inaccurate and nonsensical statements, not to "deflect with unrelated point" - they are, to me at at least, the central issue.

Talking about deflection and being obtuse is some kind of psychological projection here.

You do you, bud.

3 minutes ago, fragglepop said:

Linus lied - straight up lied - about reaching a to get a conclusion with  Billet - he did that *after* the GN video.

The willfiul inacurracy of LMG groups videos, it owners factually inaccurate and nonsensical statements and are not to "deflect with unrelated point" they are, to me at at least, the central issue.

Although Linus lied, I believe that it wasn't intentional. He mistakenly thought his Head of Business Development (Colton) was smart enough to know how to use email. 

Linus was intentional with his idiotic WAN comments where he wouldn't spend $100 to fix his own stupid mistakes or where he clearly insinuated the GN acted unprofessionally during his "trust me bro guarantee" fiasco. 

19 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

How did GN "overstepped its mark"? Did GN state that it was malicious? 

Yes, it would have made LMG even worse if they acted maliciously instead of just incompletely but the end effect is the same to Billet Labs.

Let me put it like this: GN made no effort to stop viewers from believing it was done maliciously. TECHNICALLY they did nothing wrong ... but considering contacting Linus would have cleared this up, they STILL overstepped the mark and implied it was sold on purpose - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on whether this was their aim or not.

When I originally viewed the video I thought "Man, LMG are assholes!" because the entire segment was basically about how Linus was shitting on Billet Labs and you could read between the lines that Steve felt like Linus actively disliked them and the segment about it being auctioned off seemed to confirm this. Then I saw memes popping up everywhere about Linus screwing over a small tech company out of spite and the huge bulk of comments mirrored this feeling.

The thing is: Gamer Nexus NEVER addressed this in their second video but instead went on the offensive. They could have  said "We were saddened to see that our segment was taken the wrong way - we never meant to imply that the block was sold on purpose, etc." but they didn't despite the Internet being covered with hate towards Linus believing he had done EXACTLY that. This makes me wonder whether they don't secretly wanted this to happen.

Just now, Majestic12 said:

Let me put it like this: GN made no effort to stop viewers from believing it was done maliciously. TECHNICALLY they did nothing wrong ... but considering contacting Linus would have cleared this up, they STILL overstepped the mark and implied it was sold on purpose - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on whether this was their aim or not.

When I originally viewed the video I thought "Man, LMG are assholes!" because the entire segment was basically about how Linus was shitting on Billet Labs and you could read between the lines that Steve felt like Linus actively disliked them and the segment about it being auctioned off seemed to confirm this. Then I saw memes popping up everywhere about Linus screwing over a small tech company out of spite and the huge bulk of comments mirrored this feeling.

The thing is: Gamer Nexus NEVER addressed this in their second video but instead went on the offensive. They could have  said "We were saddened to see that our segment was taken the wrong way - we never meant to imply that the block was sold on purpose, etc." but they didn't despite the Internet being covered with hate towards Linus believing he had done EXACTLY that.

Once again you are just deflecting and trying to do damage control while assigning motives to GN based on your own prejudices and shortcomings. Then you start crying when someone assigns similar motivations to your fallen hero Linus. Go ahead and post the transcripts where GN implies all of this.

I find Linus's original Billet Labs video, WAN show comments, and forum "apology" much worse than Colton not knowing how to use email. Those were deliberate instead of plain old incompetence.

And you are right, there are a number of assholes at LMG.

Look guys, at some point everyone fucks up pretty badly. It's how you deal with this fuck up that shows what kind of company you have turned into. If i was in Linus's place and i wanted to show that i care about my community, my integrity, brand name and respect, i would've made a video with me only. Not a single other person from the company, but only me. After all it's my (his) name that is on company's brand, so no matter who or what caused this to happed, it's ultimately my (his) mistake. I'd admit about the mistake i've made, own it, don't twist or turn it, but call it as brutal as straight as possible. I'd say that i'm sorry and won't try to make absolutely any excuses. Just will announce my plans on how to deal with the train wreck i've caused and the measures i intend to take to make sure this never happens again. Finally i would've thanked Steve for showing me that i have strayed from the right path and promise to make everything possible to get back on it. Of course for that you need to take a really good look much further back to see the changes for yourself.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 hour ago, Majestic12 said:

You'd make a great judge I can tell. "You only have 30 good excuses for why you committed a crime, that's no excuse!"

30 seconds you say? More like 5 years. GN just mentioned the most recent examples.

TDC MK VII: 7900X3D//\\ROG STRIX LC 240 RGB//\\Crosshair X670E Hero//\\Palit RTX 4090 Gamerock//\\SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB w/Heatsink//\\Samsung 990 Pro 2TB//\\ Samsung 870 Evo 2TB//\\Samsung 870 Evo 1TB

Ihuarraquax: 5950X//\\NH-D15 chromax.black//\\Crosshair VIII Dark Hero//\\RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Pro//\\1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0//\\1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus//\\10TB WD Purple//\\6TB WD Black//\\Xonar DX//\\TT Armor Revo Snow Edition//\\ASUS MG279Q//\\K100 RGB OPX//\\Naga Pro with Dock//\\Artisan Hayate Otsu//\\Glorious Large Mousepad//\\JDS Labs O2 Amp//\\Moukey 4 Channel Stereo Mixer//\\HD6XX headphone//\\Massdrop Minimic

Arc Reactor: 3900X with the Stock Cooler//\\ ROG Strix X570-E Gaming//\\RTX 3080 TUF OC//\\32GB Patriot Viper RGB @3466 MHz//\\256 GB Samsung 850 Pro//\\Asus GT301//\\
Logitech G710//\\Logitech G9X//\\Roccat Raivo//\\Bitfenix ARGB GPU Holder

Tertiary System: 6700K//\\Cooler Master V6GT//\\Gigabyte Z170X- Gaming 7//\\16GB HyperX DDR4 @2666Mhz//\\SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB//\\WD Green 1TB//\\3TB WD Green//\\4TB WD Black//\\6TB WD Purple//\\Cooler Master Storm Sniper//\\Sennheiser HD 598//\\Logitech G502 HERO//\\Roccat Taito Mousepad//\\LG 49" 4K TV 49UM7340PVA

1 minute ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Look guys, at some point everyone fucks up pretty badly. It's how you deal with this fuck up that shows what kind of company you have turned into. If i was in Linus's place and i wanted to show that i care about my community, my integrity, brand name and respect, i would've made a video with me only. Not a single other person from the company, but only me. After all it's my (his) name that is on company's brand, so no matter who or what caused this to happed, it's ultimately my (his) mistake. I'd admit about the mistake i've made, own it, don't twist or turn it, but call it as brutal as straight as possible. I'd say that i'm sorry and won't try to make absolutely any excuses. Just will announce my plans on how to deal with the train wreck i've caused and the measures i intend to take to make sure this never happens again. Finally i would've thanked Steve for showing me that i have strayed from the right path and promise to make everything possible to get back on it. Of course for that you need to take a really good look much further back to see the changes for yourself.

Very well said. Too bad you don't work for LMG instead Nick, Colton, etc.

7 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

but considering contacting Linus would have cleared this up, they STILL overstepped the mark and implied it was sold on purpose

IMVHO Steve Burke (author, host, editor of that video) never implied other than "LMG is not doing good enough because of their choices about schedule". This was not simply implied, but exposed in different things gone wrong in content realized from LMG.

He also feeded his opinion/statement with the words of people from LMG. Coming from LMG public content.

And this is me, nor Steve, nor everyone else: would LMG forget to return or auctioned for charity without authorization a prototype/engeneering sample from AMD, nVidia, Intel? Frankly. I strongly doubt it.

Would possibly screw bad in communication with one of these companies? I still doubt it.

Would possibly realize content that was not carefully vetted for showing "in not unfair way" the prototype? I doubt it.

All three american companies cited are major players in the market. nVidia might hate Linus, but works with LMG, they want the marking effect at launch of the consumer products. Billet labs is simply no one in computer market, I wish them will be shed light on them after this royal debacle of LMG. So even if Billet Labs might get... not smiling for what happened, lots of issue could be managed from LMG with... enough visibility.

Now... Now LMG is under the hottest of trial of fire.

Trial of public.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

I do love Utube beef it's the nearest thing to watching reruns of Jaws, soon as other creators see blood in the water it goes off. When no one can remember the last time they put out original content this shit it's like manna from heaven.

Beastfight started decades ago on newspapers.

Then translated in TV and Radio shows.

Now is via Internet. With buttload of more people fighting.

Common ground? Humanity.