Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

You're comparing legal profession to reviewing computers on Youtube? Nice.

Considering people are trying to allege dodgy ethics, its a good comparison. Is that seriously the best comeback you can think of?

3 minutes ago, plume said:

Even after this "hit piece",  their very next video had many mistakes in it. If that extremely damaging video wasn't enough to make them rethink their process, do you really think an email would have fixed things?  I get your point of view, but I do not believe we would have any chance of seeing them stop putting out misleading garbage data unless someone puts a fire under their ass. They have the right tools and the expertise to do it right but they don't because they don't feel like they have to and they assume no one will care that much. GN might be doing them a favor by pulling the band aid now before they invest even more on the Lab, hire more staff, and commit to even more videos per week.

If Steve sent Linus an email about it, Linus would talk about it on WAN show or create a video with 10 sponsors and 8 product placements to shoot back at Steve about who's making more money. Definitely the Linus way.

I'm a bit confused about the guy in Labs tour supposedly "calling out Gamer's Nexus".

What he said was factual. When the labs is up and running, and new hardware comes in, they will test it then RETEST ALL THE OTHER HARDWARE at the same time on the latest drivers, thus giving the viewer the most accurate comparison data. Him stating that Gamer's Nexus doesn't do this IS CORRECT, they don't cause that's a lot of work.

There was a video review GN did where Steve said that some of the data is from A YEAR AGO and probably needs to be redone with new drivers, though he was still going to use it as it should be close enough to not matter much. (I actually disagree with this statement, we've seen AMD pull double digit improvements in a years time of driver dev on new hardware).

I guess Steve felt it was tit for tat then? Getting annoyed that LTT employees are saying things about his channel (though factually true), so decided to start findings things to be critical about.

Honestly, LTT and their employees should NOT be comparing themselves to other channels as they're striving to do things that no other channel can do.

All this doesn't excuse the Billet Labs issue though. I can see how it can happen, there's no much hardware at the LTT headquarters, I am amazed that they manage to keep track of it all. Linus has complained before that some employees don't put things back in their proper place, even though he's gone out of his way to make a space for everything. But they need to get this fixed and it looks like both parties have come to a solution (money).

3 minutes ago, crism said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

thats 6.7% of about 6% of revenue they pull in which means thats a fraction of 1% of revenue loss basicly means nothing

Where is the new CEO in all of this? We have heard ZERO from this guy since the take over and since this whole thing kicked off.

5 minutes ago, LinusAuctionTips said:

Considering people are trying to allege dodgy ethics, its a good comparison. Is that seriously the best comeback you can think of?

There are legal ramifications for certain behaviours that apply to lawyers which do not apply to anybody else, particularly if it's a standard practice in a said industry to live massively off paid sponsorships of the same companies those Youtube reviewers publish about.

If anything, any unsubstantiated allegations of misconduct in whatever someone's professional capacity is could land you in court for defamation - which, if circumstances were different, would be very likely in Steve's case, with high chances of damages won by Linus or LMG as a whole, for bringing harm to their reputation without actual evidence.

You can't just allege someone is prostituting themselves when they aren't.

4 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

Then why do you keep saying he committed a journalism ethics breach? You can't have it both ways.

The goal post got to shift, because otherwise there is no argument to be had ^_^

1 minute ago, Wintyr said:

thats 6.7% of about 6% of revenue they pull in which means thats a fraction of 1% of revenue loss basicly means nothing

and they will make it all up on wan show questions because there is no other way for people to ask linus about this

Forget

1 minute ago, LinusAuctionTips said:

Forget ethics. The content and quality of information is just outright bad lately.

Still entertaining though... but seriously sometimes yelling at computer saying what are you doing when i know they are deploying solutions incorrectly.

Usually comes back to bite them later. Like the time they said large raid array in raid5 was 'fine' with no scrubbing schedule.

Later to find bit rot and data loss.

8 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Steve is a YouTube content creator. He is not a journalist.

He did not go to journalism school, at least based on his Linkedin profile, GN doesn’t employ an Ombudsman and doesn’t appear to be a member of any journalistic organizations. 

How am I supposed to believe this information your telling me as far as I can tell you don’t have a degree in journalism. It’s these brain dead takes and complete disregard for facts that drive me mad.

10 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

Then why do you keep saying he committed a journalism ethics breach? You can't have it both ways.

That’s exactly my point. He’s pretending to be one but not subject to any of the same ethical or legal requirements of real journalists and real news publications. He doesn’t comport himself in the manner of a journalist. GN doesn’t operate in a manner of having the checks and balances of an actual newsroom with an ombudsman and legal review. He inserted all sorts of editorialized content in the videos. And he has an obvious and massive conflict of interest. He can say he’s a journalist but it doesn’t make him one any more than me saying I’m a ham sandwich makes me pork and bread.

3 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

There are legal ramifications for certain behaviours that apply to lawyers which do not apply to anybody else, particularly if it's a standard practice in a said industry to live massively off paid sponsorships of the same companies those Youtube reviewers publish about.

If anything, any unsubstantiated allegations of misconduct in whatever your professional capacity is could land you in court for defamation - which, if circumstances were different, would be very likely in Steve's case, with high chances of damages won by Linus or LMG as a whjole, for bringing harm to their reputation without actual evidence.

except he provided evidence. Best defense for defamation is the truth. I don't think you realize how high of a bar it is to successfully bring a suit for slander (or libel), especially against a public figure.

This is how ugly jealously can be…

Look at all these hateful comments after all the joy you guys have brought to the world.  

God bless you guys.  Keep your head up, this only validates your trajectory. 

It’s a shame.  But…haters gunna hate…that is an unfortunate reality.

Just now, LinusAuctionTips said:

except he provided evidence. Best defense for defamation is the truth. I don't think you realize how high of a bar it is to successfully bring a suit for slander (or libel).

Not to mention they are in different countries that have different libel laws.

Just now, LinusAuctionTips said:

except he provided evidence. Best defense for defamation is the truth. I don't think you realize how high of a bar it is to successfully bring a suit for slander (or libel).

What he provided evidence for is clear. But he did not do that in his allegations about ASUS sponsorships or Linus' investment in Framework, which has always been disclosed as per the law.

Just because Steve was right about something doesn't mean he was right about everything. 

1 minute ago, LinusAuctionTips said:

Who gave you the right to decide who is or is not a journalist. In this new age of media, journalism degrees are basically irrelevant.

A journalist is someone who reports news. They are often divided between "news reporting" and "investigative reporting"

Editorializing is NOT journalism, it's considered entertainment. Editorialized content is when you basically talk about something (comments and opinions) without sources to back your claims.

Steve tends to do both, but he's not forming a conclusion before presenting the evidence. That's the difference here. Linus is avoiding responsibility for mistakes made when he should have just owned up to it instead of digging a deeper hole.

But I don't think the drama right now is justified. Steve likely didn't have to try that hard to cherry pick mistakes, and then go back to the videos of staff saying "I wish we spent more time." It's pretty clear not enough time is being spent, because STAFF SAID SO.

The ethical concerns about connections to other brands (eg Asus, Noctua) IMO is a bit of a nothingburger because I don't see any evidence suggesting that Linus was paid to present the items in a good light when they clearly aren't. It is still not a good light to do so, because that's what people will think when you don't disclose your relationship with a sponsor. "Oh I question this product's marketing truthy-ness because Linus loves to promote ASUS products, despite ASUS having an absolutely atrocious RMA system in Canada."

You can be right about something, still be in the wrong in how you present it.

17 minutes ago, PressleyPress said:

I never said he did. But he did make a "hit piece" in my opinion. Yes it has facts, but it also has a lot of speculation and editorializing that could have been corrected by a simple reaching out for comment.

What do you think he would have gotten if he reached out for comment? Linus telling him the truth? Look at what Linus has said thus far. Do you think it would have been any different? Considering the amount of inaccurate information, what do you expect Linus would have told him?

No, the better thing to do was exactly what they did. Go public so that Linus could address this to the people who are ACTUALLY being harmed, which is the viewers. They absorb the bad information and make buying decisions based on that bad information. Let me make this clear: Linus and LMG are NOT the victims here. YOU are. Steve is NOT the attacker. He's just telling you what's obvious.

Please, everyone, just STOP simping for LMG. It's a bad strategy. The wrong doing here was from LMG, not GN.

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

What he provided evidence for is clear. But he did not do that in his allegations about ASUS sponsorships or Linus' investment in Framework, which has always been disclosed as per the law.

Just because Steve was right about something doesn't mean he was right about everything. 

OK, opinion also isn't defamation. My read of that was for those parts, Steve chose his words very, very carefully.

3 minutes ago, TheSilverSpade said:

How am I supposed to believe this information your telling me as far as I can tell you don’t have a degree in journalism. It’s these brain dead takes and complete disregard for facts that drive me mad.

Do you know how to google? Do you know how to read? All that information is available with a simple web search.

Just now, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

He’s pretending to be one but not subject to any of the same ethical or legal requirements of real journalists and real news publications.

Even if he were, he hasn't acted unethically here. You keep repeating this as if it makes it true. It does not.

3 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

And he has an obvious and massive conflict of interest.

This can also be the explicit reason why he DIDN'T contact Linus, you do understand that, right?

7 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

That’s exactly my point. He’s pretending to be one but not subject to any of the same ethical or legal requirements of real journalists and real news publications. He doesn’t comport himself in the manner of a journalist. GN doesn’t operate in a manner of have the checks and balances of an actual newsriew with ombudsman and legal review. He inserted all sorts of editorial content in the videos And he has an obvious and massive conflict of interest. He can say he’s a journalist but it doesn’t make him one any more than me saying I’m a ham sandwich makes me pork and bread.

You being a ham sandwich would actually explain a lot to be honest 😛

Bad jokes aside, the question of whether or not Steve is a journalist is completely irrelevant to the discussion actually. Finding angles to attack him on, however many you find, does not change what Linus did wrong in this situation and what has been going wrong at LMG. In fact, Steve could be a professional clown and these issues would still persist.

3 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Do you know how to google? Do you know how to read? All that information is available with a simple web search.

Again with the double standard ... everything Steve reported on, was publicly available information, too - he just pointed it out to his viewers. Wouldn't logic dictate then that no ethical violations have been committed by GN here, because I could have found out about all of this by myself?

Just now, Gncsmd said:

This is how ugly jealously can be…

Look at all these hateful comments after all the joy you guys have brought to the world.  

God bless you guys.  Keep your head up, this only validates your trajectory. 

It’s a shame.  But…haters gunna hate…that is an unfortunate reality.

This take is so unbeliveably bad.

WHO ARE YOU to say that im jealous. No, im not.

Im a big LTT supporter who had floatplane, has a bunch of LTT merch, and has been watching for 8+ years.

Im deeply dissapointed in linus's handling of this. And all i want is him to do better. Im NOT a hater, im a dissapointed fan who wants better.

5 minutes ago, ZombieMan762 said:

Where is the new CEO in all of this? We have heard ZERO from this guy since the take over and since this whole thing kicked off.

Agreed. One of the things that was always great about LMG is that we got to hear from the CEO (Linus) about what the company was doing and any major changes they make. Now that Terren has taken over I feel like that has been taken away from us. I am ok with that on any normal day, but for controversies like this I would really like to hear what the CEO thinks about this and what he plans to do about it. Hearing it from Linus is great and all, but we should really hear from the CEO.