Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

I am so shocked people are not seeing the full picture here. Has LMG been having accuracy issues over the past lets say year? Yes 100 percent. This was addressed even in one of the last WAN shows when they were talking about using some floatplane members to help with fact checking. This is not new info. Linus has talked about this at length over the past several months. They do need to do better but damn, Linus was right about everyone with there pitchforks. You telling me that not 90 percent of other creators don't make slimier mistakes. Its really the pot calling the kettle black.

The situation with Billet is unfortunate however, we do not know the whole story. As far as the review, I think Linus was 100 percent right. Nothing would have changed the outcome of the video. Should they have done the extra testing on a proper graphics card, yes but Linux was right but not wasting anyone else's time for a product they they were never going to recommend to buy. People are getting really mad about that point, like LTT was trying to ruin a small company. That is just dead wrong. The company did not have a real product yet. Linus wanted them to make a good product. This was not it. No additional testing was going to fix that.

Now for the auctioning off the unit, that was not good. However I will say this stuff happens all the time. An ex employer of mine accidentally sold $150,000 worth of copiers in our warehouse that did not belong to them but rather a client of ours. No one realized it until the client wanted one of there copiers. Then we had to tell our client and send them a nice fat check of $150,000. Should this of happened? Of course not. But in the real world, business make mistakes. It takes one person to make a mistake to affect the whole company. Anyone that has worked for a company with more than 50 people knows how it can be. If LTT pays Billet then problem solved. People are freaking out way to much about this.

Last point I want to make is about the GN video. I watched the main video twice and the follow up video today and what I see come out of it is smugness and jealousy.

I was with you till this point. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Steve is in no way jealous of anyone and could have easily sold out a long time ago and been where Linus is now. He prefers to be a small and accurate source rather than a large video making machine, which is what Linus has become.

There is a reason every single person in this space knows his name and respects it, unlike Linus' name which is just known for humor, or dropping things while wearing socks and sandals. Steve has done REAL work to make changes in the tech world with his reporting.

1 minute ago, Vilacom said:

Don’t know many lawyers do you? 

Nah I do, which is why I said “hoping” and not “expecting” lol

14 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

I am so shocked people are not seeing the full picture here. Has LMG been having accuracy issues over the past lets say year? Yes 100 percent. This was addressed even in one of the last WAN shows when they were talking about using some floatplane members to help with fact checking. This is not new info. Linus has talked about this at length over the past several months. They do need to do better but damn, Linus was right about everyone with there pitchforks. You telling me that not 90 percent of other creators don't make slimier mistakes. Its really the pot calling the kettle black.

The situation with Billet is unfortunate however, we do not know the whole story. As far as the review, I think Linus was 100 percent right. Nothing would have changed the outcome of the video. Should they have done the extra testing on a proper graphics card, yes but Linux was right but not wasting anyone else's time for a product they they were never going to recommend to buy. People are getting really mad about that point, like LTT was trying to ruin a small company. That is just dead wrong. The company did not have a real product yet. Linus wanted them to make a good product. This was not it. No additional testing was going to fix that.

Now for the auctioning off the unit, that was not good. However I will say this stuff happens all the time. An ex employer of mine accidentally sold $150,000 worth of copiers in our warehouse that did not belong to them but rather a client of ours. No one realized it until the client wanted one of there copiers. Then we had to tell our client and send them a nice fat check of $150,000. Should this of happened? Of course not. But in the real world, business make mistakes. It takes one person to make a mistake to affect the whole company. Anyone that has worked for a company with more than 50 people knows how it can be. If LTT pays Billet then problem solved. People are freaking out way to much about this.

Last point I want to make is about the GN video. I watched the main video twice and the follow up video today and what I see come out of it is smugness and jealousy. I always liked GN but I lost complete respect for them how they had acted in this situation. They handpicked issues and completely ignored context around many of thouse said issues to paint there narrative. Steve said its his job to ignore personal relationships, however no one can watch the video yesterday but especially the follow up today and say Steve does not have a personal issue with Linus. His entire demeanor and attitude in both videos was not professional and simply uncalled for. If he wanted to make a purely fact based video on LTT issues, I would no problem with that, but making an obvious hit piece with extreme biased is not. Also one thing I was shocked to see Steve not understand is the whole selling vs auctioning it off to charity thing with Billet. Neither is good but saying that auctioning it off to charity is worse is just wrong. Not sure how much it was auctioned off for or what charity got the money, but said that to someone who actually gets to benefit from that money. I know many people here have been disagreeing about this but the biggest issue to me is that GN never reached out to Linus or LMG for a comment. There is no professional media that does not reach out for a comment before a story like this. I am not saying anything in the story would have changed or even should have changed, but being able to read a response in the video would have made it look to be a touch not as biased. That both sides of the story were being told. That is the whole point of having journalistic standards. Also GN did monetize there video today and gained tons of extra views and subs over this whole thing. They have a financial dog in this fight as well even if they say they don't.

I am not a super fan of LTT. I have gone years without watching and come back for a video here and there. I am not going to say everything they do is right but people need to put the pitchforks down and see the full picture. People are going way to hard on Linus and praising Steve as a hero when I really think Steve should not only issue an apology but a retraction to both videos on many of the falsehoods that were said. Linus has proved to us more time than I can count that he has our back. I am not saying you should trust anyone on the internet, but Linus has never actually screwed over his viewers. I don't want to see this situation change Linus because even though that is what everyone says they want, it is not.

To Linus - If you happen to ever see this message, do not let this change you. You still be you. Do not just bend over and take the abusive. Stand up for yourself and your company. Admit on what you have done wrong but also fight back on things that are just not true. The second you change who you are, then none of this is worth doing anymore. And lastly, please either do a full video about this, or do talk about it on the WAN show. I feel like the worst thing in your comment you made yesterday is that you were not going to discuss it. This should be discussed.

Please stop spreading the idea GN did this out of jealously. Did they do it all 100% correctly? No, they did not. But LMG can't be excusable from the mistakes because they do present their findings on video as fact. But the fact is that the data isn't fully correct because not everything is set up correctly. LMG should AT LEAST present a disclaimer that their data may not be correct as their processes are still being tuned.

5 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

This was addressed even in one of the last WAN shows when they were talking about using some floatplane members to help with fact checking. This is not new info.

Acknowledging the problem is only the first step. If you acknowledge the problem but then don't do anything to resolve it for months and months, it means you simply don't care.

7 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

Except that's just moving goal posts!

Why bother reviewing ANYTHING that the average consumer doesn't buy?

If he's given an ultra-luxury car to (p)review, and then he says "oh this car takes a 6 seconds to get to 60 instead of 4 seconds", then it's pretty fucked up to overlook that mistake by saying "no one's going to buying this anyway"

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 minutes ago, HiTechLowSpec said:

Would you put $800 into making your 3090 maybe go a little faster, or would you put that toward a 4090 and make it even faster? You can do whatever you want with your money, but logic dictates that I'm going for the 4090, even on air.

It was a prototype, probably worked through year or even two, maybe less who knows. Point of a prototype isn't to be exactly the final product, in this case they were working on the design and numbers making it work on 3090Ti, the final product would have probably been for the then newest series GPUs and CPUs. They even sent the exact GPU that the monoblock was made for because they haven't probably bought 100 different GPUs to test with which ones the monoblock works because they are not that far into the development.

4 minutes ago, aka473 said:

It is still a neutral party to all of this. And it has it's own biases just like any other human. AI, and LLMs in particular are especially good at understanding the definition of words in context. It's part of why they are so much better than machine translators.

LLMs are not a "party." They are very imperfect and imprecise tools. So called "machine translators" are also tools. One being better than the other doesn't matter. You should not rely on them to form your opinions, or assume that their outputs are free of bias.

2 minutes ago, Icedman181 said:

The unsubscribe moment for me was Linus' WAN show response to the Tim from the Labs comments. 

People say things but when the owner's reply is basically "well, he worded it poorly but the sentiment is right", I was done. I'll resubscribe if the ship turns around and I'm sure I'll watch some LTT stuff in the meantime but I have a lot of other sources I can turn to.

and what the point of making more tests to be better than the them, if you actually get more test wrong more often than them, seems a pretty bad approach

but I guess is pretty on brand with their approach to videos Quantity over quality

1 minute ago, Monolithic said:

I was with you till this point. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Steve is in no way jealous of anyone and could have easily sold out a long time ago and been where Linus is now. He prefers to be a small and accurate source rather than a large video making machine, which is what Linus has become.

There is a reason every single person in this space knows his name and respects it, unlike Linus' name which is just known for humor, or dropping things while wearing socks and sandals. Steve has done REAL work to make changes in the tech world with his reporting.

Maybe its just Steves demeanor in the videos but I just disagree. Its the entire way he acts in the video. To me when I watch the videos his demeanor is in a very attacking way. I don't know Steve personally. Maybe that is just the way he is. Just did not come off right to me.

1 minute ago, DrHax34 said:

Please stop spreading the idea GN did this out of jealously. Did they do it all 100% correctly? No, they did not. But LMG can't be excusable from the mistakes because they do present their findings on video as fact. But the fact is that the data isn't fully correct because not everything is set up correctly. LMG should AT LEAST present a disclaimer that their data may not be correct as their processes are still being tuned.

Did you quote me by accident? I didn't allege GN did anything out of jealously. The discussion needed to happen, but Steve absolutely needed to prompt Linus for comment ahead of publishing it (comment, not editorial review)

Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at)

Why does it matter how much it costs? You just charged 10k for whale tickets for LTX? If Billet has a a product for market, it’s not for you to decide how we spend our money.

Please take the GN video to heart and improve the processes that result in frequent mistakes and oversights. Figure out how to slow down and still fund the company.

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Except that's just moving goal posts!

Why bother reviewing ANYTHING that the average consumer doesn't buy?

If he's given an ultra-luxury car to (p)review, and then he says "oh this car takes a 6 seconds to get to 60 instead of 4 seconds", then it's pretty fucked up to overlook that mistake by saying "no one's going to buying this anyway"

No one watches Linus for the product reviews. We all watch Linus because he is entertaining. When I need real info for a decision I go to GN or der8auer.

2 minutes ago, 907rider said:

Linus I hope you or someone else in your staff reads this.  From creation date of my profile here on the forum you can see that I have been keeping up with LMG for over a DECADE now.  Hopefully that will add some credence to what I have to say here.  I also want to say that I have been a Floatplane supporter for a very long time (in the OG $3.00 tier) I tried Floatplane back in the day but due to my being in Alaska there were issues with streaming and it was basically unusable.  I still kept paying that $3.00 a month because I wanted to support you guys and what you guys were trying to accomplish.

With that being said I am now considering pulling my Floatplane subscription and un-sub'ing from all of the LMG channels.  Linus has changed, and quite frankly not for the better.  Here on the forum, a while back, I posted something on this but seriously go watch any of the recent WAN shows and then go back 10 years and watch a WAN show.  The way that Linus interacts with Luke is a clear indicator of just how much he has changed.

The way that this whole scenario is being handled is quite frankly not okay.  I wont claim to know what REALLY happened with Brandon but I definitely get the vibe that there was some mistreatment there as well.  The fact that you didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars more of someone's time to correctly evaluate a product from a fledgling startup is crazy.  As far as the errors in reviews goes, stop trying to shift the blame and take accountability for your mistakes.  Some of these mistakes that GN pointed out are pretty glaring and should never have made it past the reviewers (if anyone there is really reviewing things before posting).

Something else in closing: In the DECADE that I have been watching LTT, I have gone from being a union (IBEW) electrician to now having an Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, and I am currently on a full ride scholarship to get my Masters of Electrical Engineering.  This means I am uniquely qualified in both the application and theory of electrical systems.  I want to say that you guys need to take a serious step back and re-evaluate what you are doing in some of your videos otherwise someone WILL get hurt.  When I hear one of your EE's say something like "It's like DC but its AC"....that makes me very scared.  And while I love Alex some of the stuff that he has been done is quite frankly unsafe and should not be posted on the internet for millions of followers to see.

You literally posted a message in December 2021 saying you're done with WAN show and LTT in general and now you're back saying the same thing. If you're gonna be done with it, just be done with it and leave.

Just now, WTBMFWKEF said:

Maybe its just Steves demeanor in the videos but I just disagree. Its the entire way he acts in the video. To me when I watch the videos his demeanor is in a very attacking way. I don't know Steve personally. Maybe that is just the way he is. Just did not come off right to me.

Yeah, I have to agree.

PC SPECS -: RYZEN 5 5600x, PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB, 32GB DDR4 3733MhzNoctua NH-D15

As well as a Dyslexic left-handed Software Engineering Student!

Why mention left handed you may say, you should see how I hold a pen! 

10 minutes ago, eece_ret said:

SethNW

9 minutes ago
  • LAST VISITED

2 minutes ago

I cant but chuckle at the narcissism involved in people making a huge deal about leaving a community when their departure message is LITERALLY their first message.  Your contribution is noted, don't let the door hit ya where god split ya.

You know, it's probably between 1% to 0.05% of the Youtube viewers who actually take the time/have the inclination to post on the channel's official forum. But sure, be an elitist if it makes you feel better.

Steve is like your typical IT guy at companies. He knows he is the smartest person in the room and it comes across as smug and patronizing.

1 minute ago, DrHax34 said:

You literally posted a message in December 2021 saying you're done with WAN show and LTT in general and now you're back saying the same thing. If you're gonna be done with it, just be done with it and leave.

2 words, "Keyboard Warrior" 

PC SPECS -: RYZEN 5 5600x, PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB, 32GB DDR4 3733MhzNoctua NH-D15

As well as a Dyslexic left-handed Software Engineering Student!

Why mention left handed you may say, you should see how I hold a pen! 

Yeah no, steves videos are like that, if you watch the video he did on walmart, or artesian builds, all give a similar vibe.

5 minutes ago, Clipboards said:

Did you quote me by accident? I didn't allege GN did anything out of jealously. The discussion needed to happen, but Steve absolutely needed to prompt Linus for comment ahead of publishing it (comment, not editorial review)

Oops, sorry, I meant to quote the post you were quoting.

Edit: Actually, I double quoted, terribly sorry about that.

9 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

If LTT pays Billet then problem solved.

But the fact that a public callout was needed for LTT to even respond to their messages tells alot.

1 minute ago, Super_goose_007 said:

You know, it's probably between 1% to 0.05% of the Youtube viewers who actually take the time/have the inclination to post on the channel's official forum. But sure, be an elitist if it makes you feel better.

Thank you for exemplifying my point 🙂

2 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

It doesn't matter! Even if Steve was a complete dick who was just jealous of Linus (he is not, but just for the sake of an argument) - how does it make Linus look any better? Steve is factually completely correct.

25 minutes ago, RockerBug17 said:

Makes since if there are stake holders. LMG is privately owned.

I just get the feeling people would be just as rabid if Linus had done exactly as you propose. He'd still have no 'tegridty but in the alternate timeline he'd also be a sell out. There's no win here for LMG. People just wanna be mad.

No I think people would have been a lot more positive if Linus had put a genuine apology and publicly apologized to Billet, people are upset because Linus tried to dismiss the whole thing with a non-apology corporate sounding statement, and trying to say they didn't sell the water block, then only paying Billet when GN went public with the video.