Walmart raising wages to 13.63/hr would cost them...

HawaiiXT_290x

Considering the OP's thread is about Wal Mart, I felt it is important to point out that Wal Mart is not incorperated; it is a privately owned company. There are no stockholders to please, it is just one family of horribly greedy people. They limit the number of hours the normal workers have every week in order to avoid providing benefits, healthcare, etc.

Please do not shop there, or Sam's Club (also Wal Mart).

That is all.

Those workers have a choice in working there. You're calling the company greedy because they were forced by the government to do something that didn't fit with their business strategy.

Those workers have a choice in working there. You're calling the company greedy because they were forced by the government to do something that didn't fit with their business strategy.

What about the tax evasion and exploiting loopholes to keep their wealth? With the amount employees get paid and smaller shops shutting down because of being unable to compete..this family is not some innocent victim of government forcing them to pay employees a livable wage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-12/how-wal-mart-s-waltons-maintain-their-billionaire-fortune-taxes.html

100Billion net worth and bitching over <14 an hour..come on.

The company IS greedy.

In total contrast, the CEO of Costco takes pay cuts just to ensure his customers are getting good deals and the workers actually like working there.

Are you on drugs?  The walmart stock ticker is WMT.  It's a public corporation.

Considering the OP's thread is about Wal Mart, I felt it is important to point out that Wal Mart is not incorperated; it is a privately owned company. There are no stockholders to please, it is just one family of horribly greedy people. They limit the number of hours the normal workers have every week in order to avoid providing benefits, healthcare, etc.

That is all.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Bye mum. I'm moving to Switzerland. 

can i join you, i want them wages also, not to mention if a world war 3 breaks out Switzerland will be the best option for safety (neutral country)

Nothing to see here, move along

That is all.

Shop costco, they do much better.

Nothing to see here, move along

What about the tax evasion and exploiting loopholes to keep their wealth? With the amount employees get paid and smaller shops shutting down because of being unable to compete..this family is not some innocent victim of government forcing them to pay employees a livable wage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-12/how-wal-mart-s-waltons-maintain-their-billionaire-fortune-taxes.html

The company IS greedy.

In total contrast, the CEO of Costco takes pay cuts just to ensure his customers are getting good deals and the workers actually like working there.

So it's greedy to keep what you've earned legally? :huh: If you don't like their practices don't shop or work there. If Costco appeals more to you, give them your business.

You think that's bad? My home state lacks a backbone when it comes to minimum wage. In the state of Texas, instead of trying to be a positive example, my state lazily goes off whatever the federal minimum wage is ($7.25 last I checked)

Don't mind me...I'd rather Texas cut ties with the US government and become independent again. We're already the size of a country and with that oil staying in our borders, our wages should go up several fold. Screw you, cheap ass federal government

I couldn't agree more.  Sadly we are overrun with republican morons like Rick Perry and The entire Bush family.  

It's much worse in the UK. Min wage is 6.50 or so, yet a litre of petrol is probably over 2.00 nowadays. The job market is also completely up the left, as a qualified welder I was making 6.00 (below legal min) in one job and 8.00 in another, just to get out the door and work. I recently moved to Canada and some welders here get $100 an hour. They get it easy here, quite a fair minimum wage, and if you're a hard worker there are plenty of 'decent' jobs out there where you can make around $20 an hour.

Walmart or similar is very bottom of the food chain people, no need for them to be making much more than they currently do, and I say that as a person who worked for them in the UK for 3 years. It's incredibly easy, low responsibility, unskilled work. 

Eh we need people to work easy unskilled jobs, and there's no reason they don't deserve to be able to support themselves.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yeah geez my bad, I spouted that out without even checking my facts. I was way off.

The Walton family members are, however, the majority stock holders...damn, four people worth over 130billion USD.

Sorry about the misinformation, I feel like a real ass.

Lol I was about to say that myself. I've bought walmart stock in the past before. 

Yeah geez my bad, I spouted that out without even checking my facts. I was way off.

The Walton family members are, however, the majority stock holders...damn, four people worth over 130billion USD.

Sorry about the misinformation, I feel like a real ass.

It only makes sense that the founders are the majority share holders. *shrugs*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

majority share holder sounds less filthy than tax evaders or loophole abusers.

That is all.

Yes it is: https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart+new+york+stock+exchange&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS546US546&oq=walmart+newyork+stock&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.5227j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=is+walmart+publicly+traded

I couldn't agree more.  Sadly we are overrun with republican morons like Rick Perry and The entire Bush family.  

Don't forget the democratic imbeciles like Barack Obama and the entire Clinton family.

See what I did there?

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

To increase prices by 1.4%.  So basically they could probably eat the cost and people could actually make a livable wage?  You could put 2 parents working at Walmart and effectively make about 50-60k/year which is enough to raise a family.  An interesting study was done a few months ago and wages have no scaled with inflation.

1974 costs/wages

Big Mac: $0.40

Gas/Gal: $0.40-0.50

Milk/Gal: $0.30

1974 Camaro (Base): $2,900

4 bedroom house: $35,000

Min wage: $2/hr

Entry level positions: $10-12k/year

2014 costs/wages

Big Mac: $4.00

Gas/Gal: $4.00

Milk/Gal: $3.25

1974 Camaro (Base): $26,000

4 bedroom house: $220,000

Min wage: $7.25/hr

Entry level positions: $30-36k/year

So while everything has gone up between 6 to 10 times in costs, min wage has increased by 3.5 times and entry level positions only pay 2.5 times more. Most college graduates including myself are only getting 36k/year starting.  And I have 2 degree's 2 years of management experience and have worked since age 14.  How have companies afforded to raise prices by so much but cannot afford fair wages?  Guess what, they can afford it but choose not to!

Source: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/04/11/3425609/walmart-prices-food-stamps/

You left out the most important part which is production costs. With new technology, everything was cheaper to make. Companies cannot afford to scale wages with inflation 1:1.

The company IS greedy.

And Costco has a membership fee to shop there. I wish people would stop using that example.

The Waltons wouldn't have billions of dollars if PEOPLE didn't shop there to save 6 cents on a loaf of bread.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

The minimum wage should be abolished.

If you want to get paid more, make yourself worth more.  If all you can do is stock shelves and punch numbers on a register then you are expendable.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

i get payed $6.3/h, and i am working as fking civil engineer in the middle of the construction site, in a freaking hot country.

I say we lower the wage to 4$/hr

Minimum wage does need to be increased, but if it increases to fast the economy will got into shock. Companies need time to adjust to a new wage. If minimum wage jumped $3 then prices would shoot up, jobs would be lost, and then the unions would demand a pay increase. I would not be good, but $3 over some period of time would be better.

I still think if you want more money work hard. People complain about the rich ruling, but they worked hard for where they are. If you don't like the was something works, work hard to change it.

No CEO should be allowed to earn more than 15x the entry levels employees wages.

Imposing that as law would guarantee livable income

I say we lower the wage to 4$/hr

Just no.

I've always had jobs that paid more than min wage, but get real. Even people making several over the minimum wage, that is nowhere near enough to support a family when prices keep going up and hours get cut. Even those with multiple year degrees can still find themselves in a bad position if they aren't a corrupt CEO with golden parachutes. So for those that have to get stuck with a minimal wage job...you want them to live in a tent? 4 dollars an hour...that's cruel and unusual to wish on anyone who is struggling in a shit economy. That's 640 dollars a /month/.

Let me give you some perspective. The last tiny apartment I had was 550 a month for rent with water and electric included. This would leave 90 dollars for food, transportation, phone to keep in contact with others and other necessities. This isn't even including non vital things such as internet or going out. 90 or so dollars to live off a month..in what universe do you live in where someone can live on that?

im tellin ya. if you arent happy about your pay, ask your boss for a raise. if you dont get it, quit and find a new job. you have the liberty to find a better paying job. you get the privilege of liberty to choose your career path and how much you want to make. how you take it is your doing. if everyone getting paid minimum wage quit, then companies would have to raise their rates to find someone willing to take that offer. but until people quit accepting that offer. shut up. take your paycheck and do you job. you cant get anywhere in life if you dont ask. and no one likes an ungrateful deadbeat.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

No CEO should be allowed to earn more than 15x the entry levels employees wages.

Imposing that law would limit a CEO to 14 employees. There is a hierarchy to owning a business. Unless you want every business to be a co-op style collective where everyone has equal gain and risk, the CEO will be paid multitudes more. It's simple math.

Employees don't have to pay for equipment. Employees don't have to pay zoning fees. Employees don't have to pay rent. Employees don't have to pay for electricity. Employees don't have to pay for training. Employees don't have shareholders to worry about. And so on. The CEO has a lot more at stake than the employee.

And where do people get the idea that minimum wage is supposed to support a family? It's MINIMUM wage. The bare minimum someone can be paid before they are considered a slave. That's it, that's all. If you have a netbook with a 1GHz processor and 512MB of ram, you aren't playing Bioshock on it. Nor should you expect to.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

The reason why low level employees find it hard to live on the minimum wage is because of the government involvement in business. The answer to the problem is not more government involvement. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

The reason why low level employees find it hard to live on the minimum wage is because of the government involvement in business. The answer to the problem is not more government involvement. 

Yuppppp laws and regulations are actually hindering small competitors that could potentially compete with big companies. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^