What's a good upgrade for a 2600 + 3070 Ti?

Filingo

Hello,

My friend has a Ryzen 5 2600 with RTX 3070 Ti. (RAM: 2x8GB 3000Mhz CL15)

He said he doesn't get the best performance in the games he played and I told him that the CPU is bottlenecking and that he might need an upgrade.

I suggested for his budget to upgrade to the Ryzen 5 5700X. Do you think it should be decent enough upgrade? He mostly Fortnite, CSGO.

Also, using 3DMARK the scores seem a bit lower than what I saw on the score tables: The CPU score is 4800 and the GPU is 13000. The total Time Spy score is 10400

I checked the temps under load and the temps don't go above 63 during the benchmark, so no overheating.

I even tested it with Prime95 for quite some time, and it never passed 52 (not a typo) degrees with the CPU constantly on 3700Mhz.

So I am not sure now - why the scores are low if everything seem to be working well,

And is upgrading to 5700X good idea?

Thanks 

The 3070 Ti has some great performance, you're right in suggesting the CPU upgrade first.

The RAM could be another potential upgrade after the CPU, depending on what he has installed, but he'd see a big improvement with the newer chip.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

4 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

The 3070 Ti has some great performance, you're right in suggesting the CPU upgrade first.

The RAM could be another potential upgrade after the CPU, depending on what he has installed, but he'd see a big improvement with the newer chip.

thank you.

How well do you think it should improve in this case?

I just checked the performance while he was playing Fortnite - the CPU was over 80% usage while the GPU was only 20-30%. Do you have an idea if the GPU usage should be higher in Fortnite in this case? The graphics settings were the lowest and he was getting some average 130 FPS with drops to below 100

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

Hello,

My friend has a Ryzen 5 2600 with RTX 3070 Ti. (RAM: 2x8GB 3000Mhz CL15)

He said he doesn't get the best performance in the games he played and I told him that the CPU is bottlenecking and that he might need an upgrade.

I suggested for his budget to upgrade to the Ryzen 5 5700X. Do you think it should be decent enough upgrade? He mostly Fortnite, CSGO.

Also, using 3DMARK the scores seem a bit lower than what I saw on the score tables: The CPU score is 4800 and the GPU is 13000. The total Time Spy score is 10400

I checked the temps under load and the temps don't go above 63 during the benchmark, so no overheating.

I even tested it with Prime95 for quite some time, and it never passed 52 (not a typo) degrees with the CPU constantly on 3700Mhz.

So I am not sure now - why the scores are low if everything seem to be working well,

And is upgrading to 5700X good idea?

Thanks 

5700X

2 hours ago, Filingo said:

thank you.

How well do you think it should improve in this case?

I just checked the performance while he was playing Fortnite - the CPU was over 80% usage while the GPU was only 20-30%. Do you have an idea if the GPU usage should be higher in Fortnite in this case? The graphics settings were the lowest and he was getting some average 130 FPS with drops to below 100

It's hard to say exactly how much better it would be, but the 5700x has a way better architecture, clock speeds, core count, etc. The GPU usage being low usually means something else is preventing it from being used all the way, which looks to be the CPU in this case.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

3 hours ago, Opencircuit74 said:

It's hard to say exactly how much better it would be

went from 2600 to 5500. It was 93 fps to consistent 165, Fortnite is deceptively CPU and RAM sensitive.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryBella said:

went from 2600 to 5500. It was 93 fps to consistent 165, Fortnite is deceptively CPU and RAM sensitive.

Ok wow that's an improvement. And with the lower end 5000 CPU so the 5700x gonna be awesome. I'll tell him.

One more thing - I suspect that his GPU is overheating and needs to be cleaned. What's a good software to stress test it? I could use furmark but heard it's way too intensive. Is there anything else or furmark is alright?

One more thing: I found this video of comparison between 2600X to 5800X so that should give a good idea of how 2600 to 5700X will be right? Then why it shows they both have the same fps in Fortnite (@01:30): https://youtu.be/tSmqYgtqFZY

My bad, the gpu is 2060 and it's bottlenecking