I can’t believe this worked - Cooling PCs with Linus' Pool

AdamFromLTT

It's been a long time coming, but after being moved into Linus' new house we are finally making his ridiculous dream come true. We are watercooling a PC using his pool. That's right, even the hottest components like the Intel Core i9-13900K or the RTX 4090 will be easily cooled by the sheer amount of water. But can we cool Linus' hubris? Also, is this actually going to work?

What happened in the cosmos that meant DIYPerks and LTT released videos on the same day about what is basically an identical concept

Jam on through to the other side

To be fair, using a heat exchanger would be a wise move.

Not as a filter, but rather as a "if we get a leak in amongst our multitude of connections in the rack, the whole loop won't risk siphoning into the room." kind of protection.

Trust me, a fult like that is wonderful when it happens, and then one will look at the price of a heat exchanger and an additional pump as fairly marginal costs compared to a water damaged basement. Its all about removing unnecessary risks.

Now, I would have a filter on each side of the heat exchanger regardless, since filters are nice things to have.

LOVE the vintage Coleco Mini Arcade in the Background

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

Can we get a more realistic version where you retrofit some suction lines to the pool water itself and see if a heat exchanger can handle circulating chlorinated water without getting destroyed?

Cause lesbianist...how many people are going to do geothermal loop cooling?

Also still to this day...like 10 years after whole room watercooling....they don't know about these things which will absolutely save them a shitload of hassle:

image.thumb.png.68a0e6329b10b9993c7b9ed3a2adbdff.png

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Cause lesbianist...how many people are going to do geothermal loop cooling?

Hmm, I wonder what a lesbian pianist has to do with a geothermal loop cooling? 

I know they love doing the "extra jank for extra views" plan, but geez was watching this a total cringe-fest. Check valves, manual valves, proper tools and hardware, and a little know-how would have gone a looooooooooong way over this mess.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

This one was a bit of a letdown. I understand that video production often means running with what you have, and that this isn't always what you want. But after all the build-up, getting a setup this janky and only cooling a single server in the rack is a letdown. The whole pool cooling concept is cool, and few will be able to have a custom pool built for purpose, so I really hope we get a final update where everything is hooked up somewhat competently and which (hopefully) shows off the system working as intended.

Is there a risk of condensation forming in the winter if the liquid in return line from the pool gets too cold?

On 8/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, vipergts450 said:

Is there a risk of condensation forming in the winter if the liquid in return line from the pool gets too cold?

I'd say that would be unlikely, considering the average temperatures around here in the winter.