Linus's remarks on Twitter in the past couple months couldn't be more wrong

12 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

iirc he's talked about Elon's fathering stuff before (I could be wrong on this one, but I thought he questioned the parenting); Elon's divorce as well iirc was brought up in a WAN show.

I have vague memory of him saying something in the lines of "if Elon would disappear from CEO role, I wouldn't care", but could be wrong. Honestly, besides the talking points prepared by writing team, they are just talking what comes to their minds. And believe it or not, they do read the articles referenced. They aren't just paid actors reading prepared stuff live on prompter. Source: Multiple times of Linus saying that he did have or didn't have time to read more and lets Luke fill him in.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

I have vague memory of him saying something in the lines of "if Elon would disappear from CEO role, I wouldn't care", but could be wrong. Honestly, besides the talking points prepared by writing team, they are just talking what comes to their minds. And believe it or not, they do read the articles referenced. They aren't just paid actors reading prepared stuff live on prompter. Source: Multiple times of Linus saying that he did have or didn't have time to read more and lets Luke fill him in.

But there in lies I think an issue.  If you rely on what the writing team has prepared and there are clear biases, to the point you have to make corrections in the next WAN show...but then continue to rely on the same team in the next breath to have "correct" information that still only has half truths.  It creates an issue, and to an extent is the same kind of issue as mainstream media.  It's not to say that what the media says is necessarily false, although some broadcasters are worse than others, but it speaks to the greater issue of accountability of major influencers stating as facts when they are only half true.  (The media is guilty of that as well)

That I think does at least conflict to what at least I believe Linus had originally stood for in terms of not talking about essentially gossip...or at least clearly noting things were gossip.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

9 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

But there in lies I think an issue.  If you rely on what the writing team has prepared and there are clear biases, to the point you have to make corrections in the next WAN show...but then continue to rely on the same team in the next breath to have "correct" information that still only has half truths.  It creates an issue, and to an extent is the same kind of issue as mainstream media.  It's not to say that what the media says is necessarily false, although some broadcasters are worse than others, but it speaks to the greater issue of accountability of major influencers stating as facts when they are only half true.  (The media is guilty of that as well)

That I think does at least conflict to what at least I believe Linus had originally stood for in terms of not talking about essentially gossip...or at least clearly noting things were gossip.

People make mistakes and corrections daily in live shows. Even with all preparation, you will make some. Thats part of it. There are so many others that make mistakes and claims, but do not make apologies afterwards...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

People make mistakes and corrections daily in live shows. Even with all preparation, you will make some. Thats part of it. There are so many others that make mistakes and claims, but do not make apologies afterwards...

Yes, people make mistakes and corrections...but it's not like making a mistake about a trivial matter or a trivial fact though; and when it's seemingly aimed at a singular person then it really steps away from tech news and just essentially becomes a gossip show.

Those with the most power need to choose words the most wisely.  Like at my work, there are topics I steer clear of and will not participate in even at lunchroom discussion; as I know my words have meaning to people on those subjects.

There is a general inconsistency in how Linus has treated essentially gossip regarding Elon vs the gossip surrounding others in the tech industry.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:45 AM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Wait till you find out about how many bailouts Elon needed he keeps making mistake after mistake and his cars have bad panel gaps, bad paint, bad reliability bad service. Took him 1000 tries to land a rocket. Bud you need a new hero.  😳

Maybe don't tell the kids to put a real person on a pedestal and call them a hero as that will always backfire. They are better off idolizing Iron Man or Batman instead, also billionaires with tech but not actually real. 😄

On 7/13/2023 at 8:35 PM, Visulg said:

I have been a big fan of Linus and the team since the begining. Even before the Langly house. I remember the day Linus painted his home garage as a set  background. I even go back and watch old LTT and CSF videos for fun and it's also pretty nostalgic for me. 

I have adored Linus's takes on pretty much anything and he has been right most of the time or have been transparent/logical about his remarks otherwise.

Although i have to argue the recent remarks that linus had been delivering in the past few months about Elon and the twitter acquisition has made me realise that Linus has changed his approach when covering main stream news events. He has become a product of the media propaganda machine that he despised at the early days. 

Its funny that i first discovered Tesla/Elon from wan show back in the day around 2012 or so, when WAN show covered the model S safety demonstration video where it showcased that the roof of the car was so strong that you could stack 5 model s on top of each other before the roof of the bottom most models collapses. And I am forever great full for Linus and LMG for all the entertainment and information that its brought to me over the years. 

But the way Linus has become an Elon hater or Twitter hater without seeking beyond what mainstream media has put out has been shocking to me. It begs the question if Linus is wrong about this what else is he wrong about. 

It has been heartbreaking for me to part ways with one of my favourite creators and see them follow the mainstream media propaganda. And I have tried to forget about the whole thing and just keep an open mind and give linus the benifit of the doubt about what he is saying. But Linus keeps digging and he doesn't seem to stop or try to understand whats really going on. 

I sincerely hope linus would open his eyes sooner than later and realise he has been wrong about the whole twitter/elon saga and make things right. 

This is my first post ever and hope i have not stepped out of my bounds or the forum post guidelines and whatnot. Have a great day guys. 

Will respond to meaningful and constructive comments. Thanks 😊 

I get what you're saying, but here's why you've made a mistake.

I don't know what it is that Linus said about Elon and, frankly, I don't really care. Personally, I think that LMG produces too much stuff that is poor quality and pushes too fast just to expand when what they should do is focus on quality instead of shlock Hollywood for the masses. To hear them talk, everyone is on overdrive most of the time trying to keep up with an increasingly demanding schedule, often working overtime. That some companies get ahead by forcing/conniving their employees into becoming workaholics is not in doubt, but the negative consequences of that kind of workplace culture are not in doubt, either.

That said, my personal opinion of Elon Musk is he's a car salesman, with all the negative connotations that evokes. He's got a big ego and he knows that keeping the media focused on him (much like Trump) is more important than whether the news is for or against what he said. He's made massive promises and failed to deliver or failed to keep the deadline. He's failed, too. There are a lot of chump investors out there that are willing to take him at face value but I've been around long enough and seen enough con artists to know that he is. Call it instinct, intuition or experience, I frankly don't care, there are plenty of tells.

Does that mean that everything he says is false? No, the best con artists hide the lies with lots of facts because they want to fool as many intelligent people as they can, not just the great unwashed masses who are pathetically easy to manipulate to the point they'll fight each other over which political candidate is best. I agree with him about AI, too. I think some of what his companies have done is pretty amazing, but I don't buy the hype.

I also don't buy Linus's hype, but I see him as much more of a real person than Elon. He definitely has a stronger moral compass than Elon, although I do have questions that remain unanswered due to indicators that raise concern.

Dropping Linus because he's bashing Elon doesn't really make sense. It shows that you're a devoted Elon fan, and Elon outranks Linus, therefore you can no longer watch Linus...just because he's disrespecting Elon. This is not logical - it's purely emotional. You don't have to choose either camp - you've got no skin in the game.

Now, if you think LMG is producing crap, shilling for manufacturers, lying to their viewers, scamming people a la Logan Paul et al, or otherwise committing crimes and behaving like a total punk, THAT would be justification to stop watching LMG. Likewise for Elon, who is already farther along that path and enjoying his newfound wealth and power like all the other douche-bag rich who abuse it.

Re-evaluate your stance using your intellect, not your emotions.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 7/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, Visulg said:

Linus's take conveniently follows the mainstream media narrative. 🙄 

You're aware that something being said by the "mainstream media" doesn't automatically mean it's incorrect, right...? Critical thinking doesn't mean just assuming the opposite of what mainstream media says, lmao

also it's hilarious to me that you're invoking this in defense of a guy who owns one of the largest mainstream social media platforms, as though he didn't have a huge platform to get his own side of the story out. his own statements paint him as a creepy buffoon.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, Sauron said:

Critical thinking doesn't mean just assuming the opposite of what mainstream media says

it does for people who are stupid

"I disagree with what everyone else is saying about my lord and savior Elon, he can do no wrong. How dare anyone hold him accountable for what he has said and done."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 7/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, emosun said:

No you just get filed under the " person who defends boomer billionaires nobody likes " folder.

also known as having an opinion

1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

I've seen a lot of people asking if it's safe to leave their computer on for 24 hours or 72 hours or whatever stretch of time and people will warn them about a fire risk - especially if they don't plan to be home.

Maybe I'm just an idiot for doing this, but I never turn a computer off. I have two in the basement that's humming along 24/7 whether anyone is home or not that's providing PiHole and print server capabilities. I never power off my Mac mini, my woman never powers off her iMac. There's a Dell that she uses for gaming, it's never powered off. PS5 and PS4 are put into stand by mode, not powered off either. 

I have yet to see any computer spontaneously catch fire from being on - I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I feel like in the grand scheme of things it's statistically very unlikely. If there's 5 computer fires a year, compare to that to how many computers there are that's on and running and calm down.

The fire risk is always there when live electricity is present. But I don't know why that's the part people keep bringing up the most. Updates requiring booting or whole thing overheating and shutting down as a result, or even power grid failure, are much more likely events to happen.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

I've seen a lot of people asking if it's safe to leave their computer on for 24 hours or 72 hours or whatever stretch of time and people will warn them about a fire risk - especially if they don't plan to be home.

Maybe I'm just an idiot for doing this, but I never turn a computer off. I have two in the basement that's humming along 24/7 whether anyone is home or not that's providing PiHole and print server capabilities. I never power off my Mac mini, my woman never powers off her iMac. There's a Dell that she uses for gaming, it's never powered off. PS5 and PS4 are put into stand by mode, not powered off either. 

I have yet to see any computer spontaneously catch fire from being on - I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I feel like in the grand scheme of things it's statistically very unlikely. If there's 5 computer fires a year, compare to that to how many computers there are that's on and running and calm down.

Me neither

Most ive seen is one of those shit unbranded aliexpress psus blow up on me, and the things 30$ too, I spend less than 20$ for my current psus and theyre working just fine

i have run my test rig 24/7 before when screwing around with ram oc for stability testing, particularly my 1520 ddr2 shenanigans, and at the time i had only my dazumba 450w which was around 11 years old, and nothing eventful happened aside from crashing after a day

this thread will probably get 6-8 pages of heated discussion and a lock.  

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Don't idolize anyone.  Don't idolize Elon.  Don't idolize Linus.  If you're judging people by a litmus test of whether they like Elon Musk, it's a sign you're over-invested in politics and over-invested in your news feed.

There will be a point where people you're a fan of may diverge from your views or whatever, and if it's that serious, maybe you just have to move on.

But personally I don't see an issue.  People watch Linus for information on PC building and wacky entertainment videos - not for his political views.  I wasn't even aware of his stance on Twitter - nor do I care. 

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Just to point out:

LTT Got their hands on Starlink and Linus (and others on the team) were VERY VERY positive about the experience with it.  And I've yet to hear that as a thing that's changed.  

Honestly, Musk has done a number of good things (business wise) in the past, but Twitter wasn't one of them.  His ego got too big and he did a mega-stupid.  end of story.  

Those with the most power need to choose words the most wisely.  

This is such a hilarious sentence to exist in a thread with people trying to defend Elon

1 hour ago, TOGSolid said:

This is such a hilarious sentence to exist in a thread with people trying to defend Elon

It doesn't matter if Elon does it himself, that doesn't justify someone else doing the same.

It doesn't also justify just saying things nilly willy because someone on your writing team hates the guy.

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

Honestly, Musk has done a number of good things (business wise) in the past, but Twitter wasn't one of them.  His ego got too big and he did a mega-stupid.  end of story.  

Don't deny that buying Twitter was likely a dumb move, and that I do disagree with the forced login to see twitter (after living with the API limits for a while now I don't actually have an issue with it, I haven't encountered hitting it in how I use Twitter)...although admittedly people who now engage on twitter now can be targeted better ads.  I'm still sticking with Twitter over threads though, Meta and the potential for linking you to people just scares me (still remember having an instagram account where I used a completely new email, and after a few months I started getting suggested friends of family)

Anyways, tangent aside, while it might have been an unwise move, it still doesn't justify the presentation of half facts.

53 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It doesn't matter if Elon does it himself, that doesn't justify someone else doing the same.

It doesn't also justify just saying things nilly willy because someone on your writing team hates the guy.

Reading through your posts here and there's a lot of "I think, I believe, if I recall" which means no actual concrete facts so kinda feels like you're just saying things willy nilly too

On 7/14/2023 at 1:38 AM, Visulg said:

Linus's take conveniently follows the mainstream media narrative. 🙄 

I dont wanna make this thread and argument for/about musk. If you think linus is right nothing I say will change your mind. 

So then what?  You just want to come here and make a grand statement about not watching Linus anymore just because he's critical of the billionaire you happen to adore?  You say you want him to realize how wrong he's been, but if you're not going to present anything to say why he's wrong about Elon, then how do you hope that will happen?  Are you expecting that he's going to go "Oh my, longtime viewer Visulg says I couldn't be more wrong and he's going to stop watching, I must certainly get on the Musk wagon post haste!"?

Like, what do you hope to achieve here?  None of this grandstanding is going to make "Elon-Sempai" notice you, and if there's still some things you appreciate about Linus and his videos, you're losing out on content that might still be amusing and maybe informative.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

4 hours ago, TOGSolid said:

Reading through your posts here and there's a lot of "I think, I believe, if I recall" which means no actual concrete facts so kinda feels like you're just saying things willy nilly too

Or you could actually take 2 seconds to try understanding what I'm stating, vs what portions I am recalling.

If I declare the sky is blue, and I recall the justification behind it being the refractive index; it doesn't invalidate what I have said, and while there might be some portions that might be miss-remembered the general meat of the argument exists.

I don't feel like looking up the exact details because it means having to go through lots of WAN shows, and I already know the key portions of events did happen.  For example, I know for a fact after Linus went on an Elon rant/bash he had to make corrections.  Was it the next WAN show, can't remember, did it happen yes.  Did after the rant/bash did he do it again, and get more stuff wrong yes.

Do I remember exactly what the rants were about, nope, but the details of that aren't important; other than the fact that it was a rant/bash.

I completely agree with this.

With threads being a thing now everybody seems to love that and is calling Twitter dead and useless.

I don't think people should transition to threads, Elon is trying to convert twitter into a free speech platform and threads is the direct opposit of that.

I'm not an Elon musk fanboy, but this is just the mainstream media trying to take down one of the only free speech platforms.

4 hours ago, zetlexdk said:

With threads being a thing now everybody seems to love that and is calling Twitter dead and useless.

I don't think people should transition to threads, Elon is trying to convert twitter into a free speech platform and threads is the direct opposit of that.

I'm not an Elon musk fanboy, but this is just the mainstream media trying to take down one of the only free speech platforms.

elon musk is absolutely not pro-free speech, he just wants people to be able to call people slurs like emosun noted. He has heavily restricted actual speech on twitter- actions speak louder than words.

6 hours ago, zetlexdk said:

Free speech for all!  Except you and you and you and you and you and you and (heartbreakingly) you.

/facepalm

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

10 hours ago, zetlexdk said:

I don't think I understand what you mean by threads. I've been online since the late '80s when BBSes were the only way most people communicated until newsgroups and email lists came into being. The term "thread" has been around most, if not all, of that time, and there is no direct dis/connection to freedom. What do you mean??

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂