You'll regret spamming me...

AlexTheGreatish

After months of nearly daily emails we're going to review the Viture One XR Glasses.. but I'm not sure Viture is going to get exactly what they wanted.

Any reason that you didn't make a last statement like "If you are still interested in these for what ever reason why don't you check out our video on short circuit about the Nreal (now Xreal) Air. They have a new product coming that should fix the compatibility and motion sickness problem."?

Shout-out Craft Computing

https://youtu.be/z5beqSpPrbs

2 hours ago, Plokom said:

Any reason that you didn't make a last statement like "If you are still interested in these for what ever reason why don't you check out our video on short circuit about the Nreal (now Xreal) Air. They have a new product coming that should fix the compatibility and motion sickness problem."?

Shout-out Craft Computing

https://youtu.be/z5beqSpPrbs

I was wondering that myself. Really would like them to compare.

I unfortunately fell for this.  My wife constantly complains about me gaming in bed because of the bright light.  These seemed like the solution. 

Image quality was horrible. Center of screen is good after adjusting myopia dials, but outer 25% of screen is a blurry mess in all directions.  I had to physically move the glasses on my head to read text on edges.  I opened a support ticket and they suggested spending more money on prescription lenses. My vision is well within the advertised range to not need prescription lenses. I wanted these to work so bad that I bought the lenses. They helped a little, but glasses are still not usable. I shipped them back for a refund 3 weeks ago and no communication since. So far no refund and they're not responding to email update requests.

i have had my pair of them for 2 months or so (neckband for 2 weeks) and love them 🙂 don't do a lot of gaming on them but i use them to watch movies lots and the plex app on the neckband is nice can watch stuff anywhere on the 2ach lot im at lol. the walk and use sux lol dont recommend (I like to think of it as a larger screen i can use while being alot more comfy then a office chair, like laying down/back in a lazy boy or hammock)

and as for the bad yup 100% agree wish there was a config to adjust the screen placement per eye to fix the cut off bottom kinda stuff
(tho i find taking the nose adjustment piece out and not putting one in seems to line it up best for me)

CPU = Intel i9-9900ks , Mobo = ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 , Ram = HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3333MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP ,
GPU = GeForce GTX 2080 Ti , Case = Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower , Boot-Drive = Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ,
HDD = 2 x 2TB , 2 x 4TB , PSU = Rosewill Photon 1200w 80+ Gold modular , Monitor = MSI MAG271C , CPU Cooler Master ML360R

May as well just bring on the Scouter. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't understand why they bothered to make these as glasses, and not goggles. Maybe they missed it in the discussion here, but I didn't see anything AR like at all. They seem to just be a big monitor for your phone.

The comparison with Apple Vision Pro makes sense, because that actually is attempting to be an AR product. These things are not AR at all, based on what we saw here.

This feels like marketting pointlessly shooting the product in the foot. Should have made the back plate permanent, and then marketed them as less embarassing looking VR googles.

Any statement from the company or have they gone quiet?

I think the feedback y'all got on the solid copper cooler video (trying to use a 3090 cooler on a 4090) applies here too. the product advertises itself as working with the Switch, but for some reason you insisted on using it with an ROG ally. I don't doubt that the product is crap, but Luke sarcastically saying "based on this experience I'm sold ... I've watched you struggle for 20 minutes to get one game going" seems like that accessory didn't really get a fair shake. Jank is fun, but doesn't seem to mix well with these "first impressions of unusual product" videos.

I don't think they are that bad. I'm a big Switch gamer so I bought the glasses and mobile dock. I spent like 500 hrs on them playing the Tears of the Kingdom and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I don't know why you play the TOTK on the ROG Ally emulator and blaming about the lag on the glasses. It has nothing to do with it. 

Also to my knowledge, the main feature of the neckband is remote play on your console like PS5/Xbox or PC. So when you have a stable network you can play all of those triple-A games anywhere such as in bed or during the travels. 

I loved this autopsy review. Luke's fucking savage! No wonder they don't have him on camera as much anymore!

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 7/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, maplepants said:

This feels like marketting pointlessly shooting the product in the foot.

you've answered your own question.

the reason why these look like douchebag shades, is because marketing wanted them to be douchebag shades.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

you've answered your own question.

the reason why these look like douchebag shades, is because marketing wanted them to be douchebag shades.

Looking like sunglasses isn't the problem here. I actually think if the backplate was permanently attached, then the sunglasses look would help. They could just be plain old VR goggles but going for a sunglasses look rather than a ski-goggles look.

I think they look dumb as hell, but the sales pitch of "these are VR goggles you won't be embarassed to own" is something that makes much more sense than "here's an AR product with no actual AR features".

1 hour ago, maplepants said:

Looking like sunglasses isn't the problem here. I actually think if the backplate was permanently attached, then the sunglasses look would help. They could just be plain old VR goggles but going for a sunglasses look rather than a ski-goggles look.

I think they look dumb as hell, but the sales pitch of "these are VR goggles you won't be embarassed to own" is something that makes much more sense than "here's an AR product with no actual AR features".

if you're not using it in a place where you might interact with people, there's no reason for it to look like a pair of shades. the idea of the transparency is that you can still interact with the world "behind" the glasses.

VR goggles will always be "ski goggle" looks, because they are just actually better when they reliably block all light and actually cover your entire field of view.

it's like saying you're making a couch with a park bench look. it will always be a terrible couch, no matter how much design and marketing you do.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you're not using it in a place where you might interact with people, there's no reason for it to look like a pair of shades.

Yes and no. Of course any instance where you might use these with people around, like on a train, or plane, at work, etc it's an extra selling point if they look less goofy than the Oculus. But people also like to feel like they look good even when they're at home by themselves. 

I don't think they nailed it here, but the idea of "VR goggles that actually look good" would be a good one, even if lots of people only ever use them in private.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

the idea of the transparency is that you can still interact with the world "behind" the glasses.

To do that, they'd need to do what Apple are attempting with the Vision Pro and let your app windows float around. I'd bet that a big part of what makes these so vomit inducing is the way the background objects move but the forground objects stay put whenever you move your head.

It'd probably be better to just not have the room in the background when the product is really just an external display.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

VR goggles will always be "ski goggle" looks, because they are just actually better when they reliably block all light and actually cover your entire field of view.

I think it depends on what the intended use case is. Anything inteded to be gamed on would definitely need to make sure it blocks the world out.

These glasses are just meant to be a monitor replacement though. A little light bleed from the environment probably wouldn't take you out of your immersive speadsheet workflow.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's like saying you're making a couch with a park bench look. it will always be a terrible couch, no matter how much design and marketing you do.

This is actually a great example, but for proving my case. The market for ""stylish"" couches that would be terrible to sit on is extremely profitable: https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/mercana-ricciardo-87-leather-sofa-p001507756.html

I see no reason why "VR goggles that are less immersive but look better" couldn't be a huge hit. Obviously this particular set of glasses are terrible, but to me the idea isn't.

51 minutes ago, maplepants said:

if they look less goofy than the Oculus

have you seen what they look like on linus's face?

using these in public might actually, finally, make you more of a "glasshole" than a google glass.

52 minutes ago, maplepants said:

To do that, they'd need to do what Apple are attempting with the Vision Pro and let your app windows float around. I'd bet that a big part of what makes these so vomit inducing is the way the background objects move but the forground objects stay put whenever you move your head.

It'd probably be better to just not have the room in the background when the product is really just an external display.

which is the better solution, you're explaining yet another reason why this device makes no sense.

53 minutes ago, maplepants said:

I think it depends on what the intended use case is. Anything inteded to be gamed on would definitely need to make sure it blocks the world out.

These glasses are just meant to be a monitor replacement though. A little light bleed from the environment probably wouldn't take you out of your immersive speadsheet workflow.

sure thing, but douchebag sunglasses dont make sense as a formfactor for that either. how can i tell? because the formfactor clearly doesnt work seeing the glasses are sitting almost an inch away from your face, floating in front of you like some sort of practical joke.

58 minutes ago, maplepants said:

This is actually a great example, but for proving my case. The market for ""stylish"" couches that would be terrible to sit on is extremely profitable: https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/mercana-ricciardo-87-leather-sofa-p001507756.html

that's not a couch that looks like a park bench, that's a couch that looks like a couch. perhaps we shouldnt talk about design if you cant tell that apart from a park bench.

actually.. on the topic of horrid design.. i have the distinct feeling that the glasses featured in this complete memepile of a video would make for a better "AR" display, because you can just look over them to interact with the world, and into them to get back to your intimacy... and they dont look any more ridiculous than what this company came up with either way.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, jymotion said:

~The product advertises itself as working with the Switch, but for some reason you insisted on using it with an ROG ally.~

We wanted to use the Ally because then we could get screen recording to make the final video better.  With the Switch + dock there was no way to do that

14 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We wanted to use the Ally because then we could get screen recording to make the final video better.  With the Switch + dock there was no way to do that

HDMI doesn't record?
El gato makes console recording cards for HDMI I think.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

If the device was USB-C, I suppose you would've needed to try some USB-A adapter if it was in the dock. If it hadn't gone so poorly, I might've said using the Ally was clever. But, unfortunately, it did go poorly. The Gamers Nexus video today reminded me of this and moving forward, I hope you writers are given enough time to test these workarounds beforehand or prepare a backup plan when it does go poorly.

This video was set to unlisted recently - with the description reading. 

This video is set to unlisted pending an evaluation of its editorial accuracy - LS

Well done, if this is how these issues are handled in the future. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

An HDMI splitter didn't work?

3 hours ago, Skipple said:

This video was set to unlisted recently - with the description reading. 

Well done, if this is how these issues are handled in the future. 

Agreed. "I already decided this thing is stupid, so it doesn't matter if we test its functionality as advertised" is not a great approach to hardware reviews, and any videos made under that mentality should be revisited for review.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.