SSD as boot drive?

HadesHD

Right now I have just one hard drive in my computer because when I built my computer, that was all I needed. But know I want to install a ssd to increase my boot time, etc. Only thing is I have no clue on how to setup a ssd as my boot drive and still use my hard drive as my data drive. Thanks!

Unless you want to move everything from your hard drive to the ssd, you'll have to do a clean install. When your installing windows just select the ssd as the install drive and afterwards just be sure to install all large programs/files to your hard drive.

Or, you can take a image of your current drive, and image your SSD with it, and voila - up and running and nothing lost...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Okay, what about just moving like my steam folders and my games to it? would I be able to do that just by plugging it in and it would show up under my memory ?

If you don't even want to keep your data just install all data on your HDD and select the SSD as boot drive.

If you don't even want to keep your data just install all data on your HDD and select the SSD as boot drive.

If you want to keep your data just deplug your HDD before installation and plug it in again after. Or you can select to not format your HDD in windows instalation menu.

Here is some more detail from another post:

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/storage-solutions/34661-transferring-windows-from-a-hdd-to-a-ssd-any-suggestions

And DO NOT just use an SSD drive as another drive. Your system wourld still be "slow" and you would gain nothing from buying a SSD. You get an SSD to make it your boot drive to SPEED up Windows. Zoom Zoom

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thanks guys for all the help! I watched some videos and listened to your guise info and have figured that I can install windows on the ssd with the hard drive unplug, then once windows is installed, plug in the hard drive and transfer over what data I want. But I have one more question, what ssd would you recommend? I'm looking for one about 120-130 gb of memory.

Unless you want to move everything from your hard drive to the ssd, you'll have to do a clean install. When your installing windows just select the ssd as the install drive and afterwards just be sure to install all large programs/files to your hard drive.
Sure can, just gotta make sure it aligns the partition properly as SSDs are picky!

Samsung, Intel and Cruical are usually the most popular drives for reliability and performance and can range anywhere from $80-160 in the 120GB range.

Samsung, Intel and Cruical are usually the most popular drives for reliability and performance and can range anywhere from $80-160 in the 120GB range.
thank you!