What’s your dream Senior community/Nursing homes when you get to that age?

Weird question yes but think about it a little. What is our nursing homes and seniors communities going to even look like? 

because I know this much, I’m still going to be gaming at 90. I’m still going to be watching anime, and reading manga. this is going to require a lot of thinking but I’d love an old folks home on the sea. 

where everything is taken care of, I can go to a on board arcade, movie theater, and more! It would be awesome 🤩 oh yeah, and VR room with lots of different experiences.

If I make it to be so old I can’t shit without assistance, kill me.

My sister is a nurse in geriatrics, she loves her job but the state some of these people are in, nah mate make me into Soylent green.

20 minutes ago, 8tg said:

If I make it to be so old I can’t shit without assistance, kill me.

My sister is a nurse in geriatrics, she loves her job but the state some of these people are in, nah mate make me into Soylent green.

Well true, but I’m talking like when you are in your 60s or 70s wouldn’t it be awesome to haves club style living situation with everything from our childhood all in one place for use to enjoy 

Where everyone plays bingo and watch the paint dried. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

With my current health issues, I'm not too worried about this, I probably won't make it to the point where I will end up in one of these.

They're also so expensive, most people won't have a choice on where they end up at this rate.

Even the 'good' ones aren't great.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

53 minutes ago, Sarra said:

With my current health issues, I'm not too worried about this, I probably won't make it to the point where I will end up in one of these.

They're also so expensive, most people won't have a choice on where they end up at this rate.

Even the 'good' ones aren't great.

Well I’m a disability advocate, and I’m actually hoping to change things at least to make it so folks can use state money to cruise around year around it’s cheaper. 

31 minutes ago, Talkativetech said:

Well I’m a disability advocate, and I’m actually hoping to change things at least to make it so folks can use state money to cruise around year around it’s cheaper. 

I work as a disability transport driver. I've been to a lot of retirement homes, as well as hospice facilities, and recovery housing.

The conditions I've seen at some of them is not encouraging. I don't think I have yet to meet a single person living at a retirement facility that has had had anything positive to say about the food, especially, and complaints about staff shortages, lacking social programs, non-existent exercise and no community engagement are among some of the most common things I've heard about.

I don't think most sane people would be even remotely looking forward to living in a facility where they will miss out on almost everything that they had during their life before that, unless they have local family that is actually willing to engage with them, or take them out to do enjoyable stuff.

I know some people are just tired and enjoy resting in their last years, but not all like that.

I'm very likely to wind up in a care home long before I'm old enough to get shoved into a retirement facility, so I'm in a slightly different position, I guess.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

i would like to see a fundamental shift in society such that older adults are valued rather than sequestered away before i make it to that age.

2 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

i would like to see a fundamental shift in society such that older adults are valued rather than sequestered away before i make it to that age.

Me too, I like see to see better waiver support and with Ai/robotics evolving at a fast pace. I could see the first robotic nurses with humanoid like bodies in the next few years. 

2 hours ago, Sarra said:

I work as a disability transport driver. I've been to a lot of retirement homes, as well as hospice facilities, and recovery housing.

The conditions I've seen at some of them is not encouraging. I don't think I have yet to meet a single person living at a retirement facility that has had had anything positive to say about the food, especially, and complaints about staff shortages, lacking social programs, non-existent exercise and no community engagement are among some of the most common things I've heard about.

I don't think most sane people would be even remotely looking forward to living in a facility where they will miss out on almost everything that they had during their life before that, unless they have local family that is actually willing to engage with them, or take them out to do enjoyable stuff.

I know some people are just tired and enjoy resting in their last years, but not all like that.

I'm very likely to wind up in a care home long before I'm old enough to get shoved into a retirement facility, so I'm in a slightly different position, I guess.

I’m sure you have seen a lot of stuff man. I don’t doubt that at all. I hope with me and other fighting for our rights and better service in general we could see these types of facilities change in the good way.

one thing I was thinking about doing in my state was a bill to allow individuals with a disability, and or who place a burden on the state with the amount of times they’ve visited the ER or something. 

the state would in return pay for a dog or cat 100% this includes food, bed, toys, vet, and grooming. But the idea is that it makes them happier. 

meaning I’d they are suicidal, or having a mental break done maybe this dog with some training could prevent them from needing to seek medical help and calming them down that way. 

i could see a similar program be offered to seniors who just need a friend, and no one want to visit them at all. It seems like a solid idea 

Lan party like it's 1998!

Though, quite frankly, I don't want to live that long. We've done a great job at extending life, but not so much as extending quality of life. I read an interesting article on CBC where a doctor basically said he was going to stop taking medications and such once he hit 75 and then just let nature take its course. I'd rather die at 75 as my body is starting to crap out than spend another 25 years immobile and miserable.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

My own house. I own it ill die in it. 👍

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Amen to that!

I've seen and been around such for basically all my life and it's really no place to be for anyone.
Some places I'll admit do good by their residents but overall it's a crap-shoot to what kind of place you get and TBH I'd not want to be in any such of a place anyway.

21 hours ago, Talkativetech said:

Weird question yes but think about it a little. What is our nursing homes and seniors communities going to even look like? 

because I know this much, I’m still going to be gaming at 90. I’m still going to be watching anime, and reading manga. this is going to require a lot of thinking but I’d love an old folks home on the sea. 

where everything is taken care of, I can go to a on board arcade, movie theater, and more! It would be awesome 🤩 oh yeah, and VR room with lots of different experiences.

By then they'll probrably have something like SAO for the residents to "Live" in.
And if there is a profit to it, may even have it setup just like it was so if you die there, you die for real too. 

They'll say "OK - They have already paid in full, bring in the next resident" while quietly dragging the old, dead one out for disposal.....

I mean you gotta have turnover to keep that sweet $$ pie coming in per bed and it takes a fresh, consistent supply of new residents for that to happen but the old "Inventory" has to go to make room and money too.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, Sarra said:

Sorry to hear, hope it gets better.

I don't think I'd need much for my "ideal" space (sure, you can always go bigger). A quiet room, big enough for a bed, a couch, TV, and computer would be fine enough (apartment size master bedroom should be able to accommodate). After that, I'd care more about the scenery and having access to a pool or something.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

10 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Should you say that now but what happened when you loss control

10 hours ago, Caroline said:

I might be 90 yr old nana but I'd still hit them with my cane or something, get those freak google parasites away from me!

If it's a robot I want it to be all metal, humanoid robots like those in Detroit: Become Human suck.

Make it look like Chappie and I'm in

62u3e68a9j1r56xmvgwu9cz0eiwo

I'd make it have a battery killswitch at the back, if it goes haywire or needs repair flip the breaker, remove the battery and work on it. But knowing corporations that's not gonna happen and I'd have better luck making my own with future robot junk parts.

My kids better take care of me I don't wanna end up in some shitty asylum pissing my bed.

And yeah 100% some models would look like that.