Apple updates self repair program to no longer require you to call to complete device calibration

hishnash

Summary

Apple have updated the self-repirar program adding new phones and some new Macs to the list but the big update is a change to the diagnostic mode that allows it to complete ether device calibration and retrieve the calibration profiles from apples servers without needed the user to call up apple on the phone. 

Quotes

Self Service Repair users can now initiate System Configuration by placing their devices into Diagnostics mode and following onscreen prompts. Users no longer need to contact the Self Service Repair support team to run the final step of a repair..

My thoughts

This is something apple should have done form day one, if not only to reduce the number of people they needed to have pickup up phones clicking buttons that could be automated by the device itself.  

Sources

https://nr.apple.com/DH0l5U1xi0

DRM part in itself is tyrannical. Push further.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

To give Apple the benefit of the doubt here, maybe they had to rebuild the calibration system to allow users to do it by themselves, and having to call up to was a necessary stop-gap to allow the program to be rolled out earlier....

or maybe not lol

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

33 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

To give Apple the benefit of the doubt here, maybe they had to rebuild the calibration system to allow users to do it by themselves, and having to call up to was a necessary stop-gap to allow the program to be rolled out earlier....

or maybe not lol

They likely didn't have servers provisioned for it, so "phoning apple" was likely someone text-chatting with whoever had the access, because it was likely intended to be used by the repair depot, not end users.

8 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

DRM part in itself is tyrannical. Push further.

Finance-motivated and poor for repairability? Probably. Tyrannical? Er... no.

Some of Apple's authentication requirements are clearly meant to keep its repair service chain going. But the biometric systems... yeah, I wouldn't want to risk a third-party component that might intercept data and compromise security. And Apple isn't some horrible authoritarian government silencing dissidents; it's a company out to make money.

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Finance-motivated and poor for repairability? Probably. Tyrannical? Er... no.

Some of Apple's authentication requirements are clearly meant to keep its repair service chain going. But the biometric systems... yeah, I wouldn't want to risk a third-party component that might intercept data and compromise security. And Apple isn't some horrible authoritarian government silencing dissidents; it's a company out to make money.

I believe the main reason they need this is that the parts are all calibrated in the factory but they do not put an extra little chip on them to store that info instead they just save the profile to a server and reference it with the part ID. 

The other aspect for things like Touch ID or Face ID is the crypo parring and for some sensors they also need to reset/0 them (like the angle sensor) or any pressure sensor. 

I expect there is also the angle of anti-theft.  Crime rings know that the amount they can sell a stolen iPhone for is limited since unless they can get the passcode it will be locked and even selling it for parts will have limited value as all the high value parts are not going to work.   

I suppose what would be nice is if apple had a way for suers to flag that they have rycelecd a device and thus unlock those part IDs for use in other phones/lapotps when the user de-activates findmy on the device and logs out of iCloud. 

7 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I believe you are right, apple clearly put some work into the iPhone12 to change the lower level iBoot system so that this could be done remolatly but they did not finish this until now.  Pre iPhone 12 you need to connect to a Mac running the diagnostic software.