Should I learn AWS or Azure instead?

I'm unsure if I should study AWS or Azure. In my city in Sweden I find 200 jobs for AWS and 350 for Azure on the job database.

I'm new to programming and only know Python and Java at high school level for reference. If I study AWS I will study Java and if I choose Azure I will study C# and basic Javascript.

Do any of you have a suggestion on which cloudplatform to choose? Searching videos on YouTube it seems as if there's more videos on Java but perhaps it doesn't matter. I found BroCode to be excellent to learn basics for Python and Java.

Update: I choose to study Azure. There's more job for Azure in Sweden and acording to an Azure consultant based in Sweden, most companies are centered around the Microsoft products; AD, AAD, Office 365 and Azure. The companies he meet that have a footprint in AWS are mostly looking to migrate to Azure.

depends what field you want to get into.

business infrastructure is largely Azure, because businesses largely use windows, so they have a windows domain, which sort of is tied to Azure, so that's the way to go.

on the flip side, AWS is more popular for web and cloud stuff.

10 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

If I study AWS I will study Java and if I choose Azure I will study C# and basic Javascript.

I don't see how a cloud platform is relevant to the language you'll pick.

11 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I'm new to programming and only know Python and Java at high school level for reference.

Learn your basics first, including stuff like some virtualization, networking and containers, then you can move to any cloud platform.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

Learn your basics first, including stuff like some virtualization, networking and containers, then you can move to any cloud platform.

There were 2 cloud platforms to choose from to study (AWS and Azure). Do you have any recommendations?

6 minutes ago, igormp said:

I don't see how a cloud platform is relevant to the language you'll pick.

Sorry I'm totally new programming so I perhaps will ask some stupid questions lol.

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

depends what field you want to get into.

business infrastructure is largely Azure, because businesses largely use windows, so they have a windows domain, which sort of is tied to Azure, so that's the way to go.

on the flip side, AWS is more popular for web and cloud stuff.

I'm still unsure which cloud platform to choose. I asked my teacher but it wasn't his expertise. Does it matter much which one I choose to learn now?

21 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

There were 2 cloud platforms to choose from to study (AWS and Azure). Do you have any recommendations?

Sorry I'm totally new programming so I perhaps will ask some stupid questions lol.

You're getting ahead of yourself caring about this kind of stuff without even knowing the basics.

Anyhow, most cloud providers offer services that are pretty agnostic, so you can easily migrate from one to another without much issues. If you are really keen on learning one, go for the one that has more job market around your area or that you can get courses/certificates easier.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

You're getting ahead of yourself caring about this kind of stuff without even knowing the basics.

Anyhow, most cloud providers offer services that are pretty agnostic, so you can easily migrate from one to another without much issues. If you are really keen on learning one, go for the one that has more job market around your area or that you can get courses/certificates easier.

Ok thank you. Is one platform easier than the other to learn? I think I heard that AWS usually have more information and answers to things on the internet since it's more popular in the US and existed for a little bit longer, if so maybe it still doesn't matter. I do seem to find less C# videos compared to Java. 

There's about 350 jobs for Azure and 200 in AWS in my area which seems a lot for both platforms. I applied to 2 courses in cloud platforms and got the answer some days ago which one I want to study (Azure or AWS)

27 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Ok thank you. Is one platform easier than the other to learn? I think I heard that AWS usually have more information and answers to things on the internet since it's more popular in the US and existed for a little bit longer, if so maybe it still doesn't matter. I do seem to find less C# videos compared to Java. 

There's about 350 jobs for Azure and 200 in AWS in my area which seems a lot for both platforms. I applied to 2 courses in cloud platforms and got the answer some days ago which one I want to study (Azure or AWS)

AWS has more content available since it's the biggest and older provider.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

37 minutes ago, igormp said:

AWS has more content available since it's the biggest and older provider.

What's usually the reason to use Azure over AWS? My country has more Azure jobs than AWS which is the oposite to the US. Which cloudplatform do you find easier or more fun to use if you have have preference?

16 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

What's usually the reason to use Azure over AWS?

Either pricing or they had some service already going on with MS on-premises (so migrating to Azure was basically a natural evolution).

16 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Which cloudplatform do you find easier or more fun to use if you have have preference?

I go for the cheaper for personal projects, and use whatever my company is using (and paying me to work on).

I have mostly worked with AWS and GCP, only did minor stuff on Azure and Oracle.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

You can work in Java in Azure (I do) and in C# in AWS (a friend of mine does).
Languages and Cloud Providers are not as interconnected as you might think.
I'd strongly suggest going with AWS first, as it is the de-facto standard for the worldwide industry. (Google Cloud and Alibaba Cloud use similar protocols).

Azure has, in my professional opinion, one major pitfall: its massive storage system, which is not S3 API Compliant (while the rest of the world is, meaning most FOSS apps won't be able to use it and you'd need a 3rd party cloud provider to store files in the cloud)

On 6/17/2023 at 5:48 PM, PapaAquaWet said:

I'm still unsure which cloud platform to choose. I asked my teacher but it wasn't his expertise. Does it matter much which one I choose to learn now?

Does it matter ? not really they all offer pretty similar tools.

If I had to choose and I was a new dev I would pick Azure.

With a basic Microsoft Account they give you free access to most of the services.

This allow you to learn most of the basics and they offer stuff if your interested in IT or business apps.

I do not recall AWS having free tier services. Just for testing new cloud/offsite storage solution they had me pay upfront 2.5k for 5 gb (10gb bandwidth) non S3 storage for 3 months. After I learned that Azure offer 10 gb free (forever I believe). note that you obviously don't run business stuff on free tier. you have near no support and business feature comfort.

I do not recall AWS having free tier services. Just for testing new cloud/offsite storage solution they had me pay upfront 2.5k for 5 gb (10gb bandwidth) non S3 storage for 3 months. 

AWS offers a free-tier/trial on the vast majority of their products, including most storage solutions (5GB/12Mos S3, 5GB/12Mos EFS, 30GB/12Mos EBS, 100GB SGW, etc.).

You can find details here

(Not a differentiating feature from Azure; both offer tons of free training and trial versions of most services... just responding to the above. I don't think it makes any difference which you start on; skillset is almost entirely transferrable between them)

AWS is to Azure as lamborghini is to your used beater car. former just has superior user experiences. I have experience with AWS, azure, and google cloud. none compares to aws in user-friendliness. google cloud is especially a huge mess.

i remember back in college, i had an elective class called exactly cloud computing. at the end of the semester, the professor did a survey of the class to see which cloud platform was the most popular, there were like 5 choices. GCP(google cloud), aws, the university's own cloud infrastructure (mostly made up of obsolete Dell servers), azure, and a local cloud company that provided lots of free cloud credits hoping to win over some potential future customers.

AWS came out at the top by a long shot. GCP was ranked all the way at the bottom. it was needlessly complicated. the only saving grace it had was the free f1-micro.

btw, if you are interested in learning the cloud, i still have the "textbook" the class used. It was entirely written by students. the professor had no actual textbook for the course and instead of finding an already published one, he just asked the students to write it instead as they learned LOL. feel free to give it a read. cant guarantee the content is factually correct tho. 

Cloud_Computing_notes.pdf

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I prefer Oracle Cloud, Kyndryl, AWS, Tencent Cloud, DigitalOcean and OVHcloud. If I look for a configuration tutorial for any service/database/app I will find the info directly for AWS or DigitalOcean, but I won't find good info on the Azure website.

Azure is not competitive in price, security, performance, documentation, privacy and reliabilty. They are objectively the worst cloud provider. In an educational context, I think it is more useful to learn how to do things in the most qualitative way, rather than the other way around.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

Flip a coin.

AWS is used in reallly really big companies.
Azure is used in small to medium companies.

This is not a strict rule, but AWS is "more complex" so big companies that can afford the people to manage all the petty stuff are more common than small companies with the insight to do things "properly"... not that it's mega hard.

The skills are quite transferable, so after you learn one, you can try and just learn the other.