Getting ready for a new build, but can't decide on a GPU

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
59 minutes ago, RicebowlJohnson said:

TL;DR: I'm unsure what GPU is a good value in 2023 and I need people to tell me how to spend my money.

You mentioning VR makes me agreed with @Somerandomtechyboi that used 3090 should be it. RTX 4070 would be my close 2nd recommendation for brand new thanks to its high PPW, but yeah that thing is insanely expensive for the performance. VR is still in nvidia ballpark because of driver issue that AMD has on that side, but it is improving in 6000 series so if VR isnt your main concern, id go for the bet on 6900XT because it is a huge jump in performance compared to nvidia offerings in this price range besides going used as suggested before, and even then 3090 is only 10% faster relatively to a 6900XT in games.

Budget (including currency): $600 - $700 USD

Games: Pavlov, Onward, VRChat, several other VR games with a Quest 2, Squad, Arma 3, Destiny 2, Cyberpunk, Jedi Survivor

Other details

Currently using a laptop with a 3080 and 10750H as my daily driver (Aorus 15P I think). My old desktop has as GTX 1660 Super and 3600x. The games I typically play aren't extremely demanding other than some of the VR titles I play, although I would like something that will give me a consistently smooth experience for both flatscreen and VR games. I'll be pairing this new GPU with an i7-13700K with 32gb DDR5 (I'll be getting the Microcenter Bundle). So far I've considered the following GPUs:

• RTX 3070
  • RTX 4070
  • RX 6900xt
  • RTX 3080ti

I've looked at several benchmarks comparing each of these cards against one another and I can't come to a decision on what would be the best value for my money at 1440p. I strongly considered the 6900xt because of how much better it performs against the 4070 at the same price, but I feel like I'd be missing out on DLSS 3 and better ray tracing. I've also used Nvidia cards for years and I'm kind of scared to go red team since I use shadow play a lot, and I know some games tend to favor green team more. I also considered the 30-series GPUs because of how cheap they are used nowadays and how easy they are to get, especially since most of the games I play aren't all AAA titles.

TL;DR: I'm unsure what GPU is a good value in 2023 and I need people to tell me how to spend my money.

Used 3090

24gb vram for around 700$ on ebay

If you are too scared to buy used then out of all the gpus 6900xt cause not fucked over by too little vram

As @Somerandomtechyboi said, you can try fishing for some good deal on a used card. 6900xt / 6950xt can be found for a great price. If you can find a good deal on 3080/3090, even better.

As someone who used Nvidia through the 1000, 2000, and 3000 generations, switching to AMD 7900XTX after RTX3090 was a pleasant experience. Adrenaline extremely similar to Shadowplay. If you want to record gameplay, make screenshots or have instant replay to record last X seconds of your gameplay at whatever resolution/bitrate you want, its all there too.

On top of that it has quite powerful built in OC tool, standard for AMD CPUs and GPUs.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Used 3090 would be a really good shout like the peeps above said. Failing that a 6950XT would be really good.

I just jumped over to a 7900XTX from a 2080ti and so far the card has integrated seemlessly into my gaming requirements. Swapping to a new renderer in Maya and having to learn that was a bit of a hassle, but I was expecting that before I brought the card

59 minutes ago, RicebowlJohnson said:

You mentioning VR makes me agreed with @Somerandomtechyboi that used 3090 should be it. RTX 4070 would be my close 2nd recommendation for brand new thanks to its high PPW, but yeah that thing is insanely expensive for the performance. VR is still in nvidia ballpark because of driver issue that AMD has on that side, but it is improving in 6000 series so if VR isnt your main concern, id go for the bet on 6900XT because it is a huge jump in performance compared to nvidia offerings in this price range besides going used as suggested before, and even then 3090 is only 10% faster relatively to a 6900XT in games.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

25 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

VR is definitely a top priority for me compared to regular games. Is there that much of a difference in VR between Radeon and Nvidia?

Just now, RicebowlJohnson said:

VR is definitely a top priority for me compared to regular games. Is there that much of a difference in VR between Radeon and Nvidia?

Its not even performance difference, its straight up issues of hitches in VR title. In non VR titles, the 6900XT is a huge jump compared to 3070 and 4070.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

28 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Its not even performance difference, its straight up issues of hitches in VR title. In non VR titles, the 6900XT is a huge jump compared to 3070 and 4070.

Yikes, so it seems like AMD is just outta the question then. In that case, the best options would be between a 3080ti or 3090 then. After a brief search on Ebay, there are plenty of 3090 auctions and lots of 3080ti's for decent prices. Would 12gb of VRAM hold me back that much? I'm not very interested in AAA gaming unless it has Star Wars in the name lol. I don't normally go for the biggest, baddest games that come out.

Unrelated: does this website have a dark mode? This is killing my eyes lol