Sapphire Nitro 7900xtx underperforming

Blqckqut
Go to solution Solved by WallacEngineering,
2 minutes ago, PriitM said:

teleporting? Clean you sensor hole, could be a piece of dust or a hair

Any luck with BIOS cycling?

We are DM-ing back and forth. No matter what he does, he can't seem to get the same performance I do.

He plays at 2560x1440 while I play at 3440x1440. He matched his settings with mine exactly in the same game and can only manage to nearly match my FPS, instead of exceeding it, despite the lower resolution.

He also just showed me a clip with some heavy artifacting in RDR2. I get some artifacting too on the DX12 API but nowhere near as much.

We are beginning to think he might just have to RMA the card. While games are playable and its not completely broken, there is certainly some sort of issue going on, we just cannot figure it out.

Just now, Shimejii said:

Flashing vbios  honestly wont do much. That stuff is mostly for XOC and not general use.

Mouse issue sounds like something is trying to grab it, restart the system and see if it still happens.

ive already restarted, adn its more like o move it and instead of seeing it move itll teleport to where i have my mouse now

also that still doesnt tell me why my gpu is behaving like this

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

ive already restarted, adn its more like o move it and instead of seeing it move itll teleport to where i have my mouse now

also that still doesnt tell me why my gpu is behaving like this

Do a factory reset in the Adrenaline software. Then restart PC and start tuning one part of the GPU at a time. First get yourself a good fan curve, then add a bit of power and OC the VRAM. Core overclocking can actually be detrimental on Radeon cards.

I have the RX 7900-XTX P.C. Red Devil. I noticed during tuning that on demanding 4k benchmarking it would only hit about 2700 MHz, but during 1080p pushing hundreds of FPS, the card will nearly push itself to 3000 MHz, even with core tuning completely turned off.

Let me run Time Spy Real quick, Ill come back with a score

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Do a factory reset in the Adrenaline software. Then restart PC and start tuning one part of the GPU at a time. First get yourself a good fan curve, then add a bit of power and OC the VRAM. Core overclocking can actually be detrimental on Radeon cards.

I have the RX 7900-XTX P.C. Red Devil. I noticed during tuning that on demanding 4k benchmarking it would only hit about 2700 MHz, but during 1080p pushing hundreds of FPS, the card will nearly push itself to 3000 MHz, even with core tuning completely turned off.

i currently have a problem with some games

mostly rl

i can push 1k fps but it jumps from 600 to 800 to 650 to 1100 constantly, what can i do? im prepared to spend time overclocking but i just want that high fps stability

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

12 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

so what kinda overclocking should i do? wha tdo u recomend me to try out so i can build on it, like what core and mem should i do 

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

1 hour ago, Blqckqut said:

i currently have a problem with some games

mostly rl

i can push 1k fps but it jumps from 600 to 800 to 650 to 1100 constantly, what can i do? im prepared to spend time overclocking but i just want that high fps stability

Well unfortunately I don't think you can really stop that FPS instability when your FPS can literally hit 1000. Ur talking about FPS so high that you are probably maxing out the game engine and pinging off the limiter, those kinds of numbers are insane and nobody really uses them, you are in uncharted territory.

I say 90 FPS is perfectly smooth and responsive for literally any game and anything beyond 120 FPS I literally cant even tell the difference anymore. Even Linus proved in "Does More FPS make you a better gamer" That even professional E-Sports gamers don't improve when changing from 144Hz to 240Hz refresh rate. Maybe you should just turn up the settings a bit and stop trying to set the game engine on fire lol.

Anyways I just ran the test. Now as I mentioned I do have that mild OC going on - 2600MHz VRAM and +5% power budget (draws 395-400 watts during gaming). It seems you may have a slight issue. I don't think my mild OC  would have given me an extra 12% of performance...

I ran custom just to skip the CPU test.

@Shimejii @PDifolco @podkall

image.thumb.png.f52ac204650bfa6f2fe613b32033b2f5.png

Current Build Thread:

10 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

so what kinda overclocking should i do? wha tdo u recomend me to try out so i can build on it, like what core and mem should i do 

I would follow JaysTwoCents tutorial on overclocking modern Radeon Cards, except that remember, the card overclocks the core all on its own by default, and in the case of super high FPS, turning on Core tuning can be detrimental.

Im fairly certain your OC is unstable and you need to factory reset your card through the adrenaline software and any other third party software being used to OC the card.

Here are my settings for that run I just sent in my previous comment, very mild, meant to be a safe daily OC for years to come (the only thing you cant see is that power limit is set to +5%):

image.thumb.png.05ad743b56a0dbbde64de4e552ccf43a.png

Current Build Thread:

@Blqckqut Also here is some nearly maxed out settings on 3440x1440p RDR2 gameplay with those same OC settings.

As you can see, I draw around 400W maximum with these settings, it is truly a magnificent experience.

A game like RDR2 really immerses you in the world when you can crank settings super high, especially with its powerful and award-winning story.

Current Build Thread:

8 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

@Blqckqut Also here is some nearly maxed out settings on 3440x1440p RDR2 gameplay with those same OC settings.

As you can see, I draw around 400W maximum with these settings, it is truly a magnificent experience.

A game like RDR2 really immerses you in the world when you can crank settings super high, especially with its powerful and award-winning story.

image.png.2c2b804b004a499a25462dd8b119c6b3.png

on rtocket league lol

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

12 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

image.png.2c2b804b004a499a25462dd8b119c6b3.png

on rtocket league lol

Damn lol, ya you should crank some settings, 700+ FPS is completely useless to be honest, no human being alive could possibly utilize even half of that. At 700 FPS the input lag from your KeyBoard and Mouse take more time to reach the CPU than the next frame.

You don't even need more than 120 FPS for even fast paced shooters like Halo or CoD multiplayer, but if you insist on insane FPS numbers, aim for 240 FPS and crank settings until you see your average FPS around 240. I guarentee you, you will not see a difference whatsoever, and you will have a much better looking game and won't be pinging off the game's engine limitations. Why in the world are you pushing for such absurd frame rates???

Current Build Thread:

9 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Damn lol, ya you should crank some settings, 700+ FPS is completely useless to be honest, no human being alive could possibly utilize even half of that. At 700 FPS the input lag from your KeyBoard and Mouse take more time to reach the CPU than the next frame.

You don't even need more than 120 FPS for even fast paced shooters like Halo or CoD multiplayer, but if you insist on insane FPS numbers, aim for 240 FPS and crank settings until you see your average FPS around 240. I guarentee you, you will not see a difference whatsoever, and you will have a much better looking game and won't be pinging off the game's engine limitations. Why in the world are you pushing for such absurd frame rates???

alright, but i still dont get why i get 130 on warzone 2

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

9 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

so more fps more latency? got it

only issue with that is i dont get the desired fps id like

i want a stable 200 on WARZONE 2 because i can still see a difference between 120 and 165, im mlostly aming for the big numbers because

1, autism and obsessed with having the best

2, the sooner i have over 200 fps on tripla a games, the longer i can use the gpu without tweaking in game settings (im aiming for 5-6 years on 120 fps max settings, so 130 on warzone 2 is making me feel terrible about this purchase, knowing that the gpu can push a stable 220 in all benchmarks with same system

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

13 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

I found that my gpu wasnt pulling enough fps, i checked warzone 2 on 1440p and got 120-190 fps on max settings, with it often being 140 the most, wich is very low compared to what ive seen

so i tested rocket league on lowest settingsm and saw 660-890 fps, my previous gpu [6750xt] got around 550-600 so thats very weird

im going to test warframe too but this is weird behavior

also did a 3dmark test and sure enough its bad. like, really bad.

image.thumb.png.bf564fd8a23bb8bb1947f3d1aabc2e53.png

image.thumb.png.2c80eae35e925feb8dffa48aa67ceada.png

thermals are around 65 degrees while gamiong at 99 percent usage

it may sound weird, but when I got my Nitro 7900XTX, I flipped the switch on the card to silent bios. And the performance in games and programs was occasionally lagging for no reason. Then I cycled the bios versions in the Trixx utility once and it fixed it. Maybe could be the cause?

1 minute ago, PriitM said:

it may sound weird, but when I got my Nitro 7900XTX, I flipped the switch on the card to silent bios. And the performance in games and programs was occasionally lagging for no reason. Then I cycled the bios versions in the Trixx utility once and it fixed it. Maybe could be the cause?

idc wich is wich because the names are "bios profile 1" and "bios profile 2" so idk what tey do

theres a physical switch so ill look into that tonight

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

11 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

on 1440p, should i crank it to 4k and scale down to 1440p?

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

2 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

idc wich is wich because the names are "bios profile 1" and "bios profile 2" so idk what tey do

theres a physical switch so ill look into that tonight

Neither did I, just cycled between the 2 with a restart of PC. Seemed to un-plug what ever confusion the card was struggling with

6 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Neither did I, just cycled between the 2 with a restart of PC. Seemed to un-plug what ever confusion the card was struggling with

wich one do i pick then

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

37 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

wich one do i pick then

Middle one is Silent OC, have it set to that. Cycled between BIOS 1 and BIOS 2 with restart for each. Run BIOS 1 or "Primary" in Trixx.

But this was on February BIOS, later version might have fixes. Still wont hurt to try, eliminates some things perhaps

כרטיס מסך - SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 7900 XTX VAPOR-X 24GB GDDR6

Just now, PriitM said:

Middle one is Silent OC, have it set to that. Cycled between BIOS 1 and BIOS 2 with restart for each. Run BIOS 1 or "Primary" in Trixx.

But this was on February BIOS, later version might have fixes. Still wont hurt to try, eliminates some things perhaps

כרטיס מסך - SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 7900 XTX VAPOR-X 24GB GDDR6

i havent updated vbios since installing the gpu in my pc tho

so in the middle will get me most fps and best stability?

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, Blqckqut said:

i havent updated vbios since installing the gpu in my pc tho

so in the middle will get me most fps and best stability?

Its not which one will be better and stable but might help some confusion the card itself is having. Could be stuck in between the different BIOS loaded on the card.

And neither have I updated VBIOS since purchace in Feb. But I take it you bought recently, so there may be different VBIOS on your unit.

Still, a relatively easy debugging check, wont expect it to do any harm.

1 minute ago, PriitM said:

Its not which one will be better and stable but might help some confusion the card itself is having. Could be stuck in between the different BIOS loaded on the card.

And neither have I updated VBIOS since purchace in Feb. But I take it you bought recently, so there may be different VBIOS on your unit.

Still, a relatively easy debugging check, wont expect it to do any harm.

whats the diference between bios 1 (middle) and bios 2 (right)

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, Blqckqut said:

whats the diference between bios 1 (middle) and bios 2 (right)

Middle (Silent) should be AMD reference BIOS and right (OC) should be Sapphire factory OC.

5 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Middle (Silent) should be AMD reference BIOS and right (OC) should be Sapphire factory OC.

shouldnt i use oc then? i dont mind noise

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

shouldnt i use oc then? i dont mind noise

im not saying DONT use OC. Im saying just switch between them once

But I see the confusion: i cant explain why the card work ok with the physical switch on "Silent" bios, but TRIXX has Primary active. TRIXX does not detect or say which BIOS is which. Who knows what it considers "primary". Mine shows reference clocks on graphs after BIOS cycle.

4 minutes ago, PriitM said:

im not saying DONT use OC. Im saying just switch between them once

But I see the confusion: i cant explain why the card work ok with the physical switch on "Silent" bios, but TRIXX has Primary active. TRIXX does not detect or say which BIOS is which. Who knows what it considers "primary". Mine shows reference clocks on graphs after BIOS cycle.

so in trixx softare on primary and physical switch in middle

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup: