I can't setup my Samsung M.2 980 Pro SSD in Windows 11

Gikster007

Hello everyone, I just got the Samsung M.2 980 Pro SSD today and decided to install it in my PC. My mobo is MSI B450 A Pro Max. I already have 1 SATA SSD and 1 HDD installed in my PC. I have noticed that the M.2 SSD doesn't appear alongside the other 2 drives I have in "This PC". I decided to go into the BIOS and see what I can do. In the BIOS, I can see it displayed in the "Storage" tab but I don't see it in the "Boot Priority" tab. I updated my BIOS just today in order to try to fix but no luck so far. Also, when I go to "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management" it brings up a prompt saying that "I must initialize a disk before Logical Disk manager can access it" so I tried doing that but I get a error pop-up saying "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I also installed Samsung Magician but when I open it up I get this:image.png.f729fcc5799d7cab205021b4703b85f4.png

When I go to the information tab, I get this:

image.png.df5cfd54f8b02cb451d50b6a83699a17.png

I feel like I have tried everything for the past 5 hours but I just can't get it to work. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

Have you tried re-seating it? Just take it out and put it back in. The contact might not be good

If it refuses to initialize, then as mentioned before, perhaps reseating helps. Otherwise RMA.

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Have you tried re-seating it? Just take it out and put it back in. The contact might not be good

I haven't actually so I will try that.

13 hours ago, Gikster007 said:

Hello everyone, I just got the Samsung M.2 980 Pro SSD today and decided to install it in my PC. My mobo is MSI B450 A Pro Max. I already have 1 SATA SSD and 1 HDD installed in my PC. I have noticed that the M.2 SSD doesn't appear alongside the other 2 drives I have in "This PC". I decided to go into the BIOS and see what I can do. In the BIOS, I can see it displayed in the "Storage" tab but I don't see it in the "Boot Priority" tab. I updated my BIOS just today in order to try to fix but no luck so far. Also, when I go to "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management" it brings up a prompt saying that "I must initialize a disk before Logical Disk manager can access it" so I tried doing that but I get a error pop-up saying "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I also installed Samsung Magician but when I open it up I get this:image.png.f729fcc5799d7cab205021b4703b85f4.png

When I go to the information tab, I get this:

image.png.df5cfd54f8b02cb451d50b6a83699a17.png

I feel like I have tried everything for the past 5 hours but I just can't get it to work. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

according to the msi site, your motherboard is limited to pcie gen3, the Samsung 980 pro is a pcie gen4. so no its not compatible. you would need the non pro 980 or go down to the 970 pro. looks like you are going to have to return the m.2 for another.

p80 pro 980 PRO PCIe® 4.0 NVMe™ SSD 500GB Memory & Storage - MZ-V8P500B/AM | Samsung US

p80 980 PCIe® 3.0 NVMe® Gaming SSD 250GB Memory & Storage - MZ-V8V250B/AM | Samsung US

14 hours ago, tdkid said:

according to the msi site, your motherboard is limited to pcie gen3, the Samsung 980 pro is a pcie gen4. so no its not compatible.

That's not true at all. PCI-E gens don't matter for it to work.