The Year of Linux Gaming continues as Apple's Game Porting Toolkit turns out to be WINE

rcmaehl
16 minutes ago, da na said:

because the chocolate just melts and makes a mess, does not taste good with the raisin on a cookie

I can see your conclusion is logical. I still kinda want to find out for myself though 😄 

Oatmeal Raisin is too gooey and bland to be considered something as sugary and sweet as a "cookie"

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Now we need companies to allow anti-cheat to work on Linux using WINE/Proton - If I could play Destiny 2 on Linux i'd jump over to Linux in a heart beat.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

44 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Now we need companies to allow anti-cheat to work on Linux using WINE/Proton - If I could play Destiny 2 on Linux i'd jump over to Linux in a heart beat.

A lot of companies already allow anti-cheat (EAC/Battleye) to work.

The others like Bungie, who still refuse to have SteamDeck support, are just lazy blokes and blame it on "mah security".

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

2 hours ago, da na said:

Linux killed OP's pet hamster

lol 2 of them. And gave me partially melted tinroof sundae, in the neet baseball cap from baskin robbins, the one with all the trimming on top including fudge. And it got mad at my 2 penny tip.

In all seriousness. Every year is the year of linux something. If you can't even give away the OS, standardize around one distro, and have close to no one using it for games. Something went awry a long time ago. Even reddit subs dedicated to linux tend to say gaming is a headache on it.  I don't see that changing with a few dudes at apple potentially using proton for windows games. Proton works some of the times. Let tell you something, some of the time is just bad. I for one just want to go go GOG or steam or dolphin or yuzo and just play. With proton it asks you: so when you say play and just work? can you be more specific? with 9999 Haxorz Hogwarts will just work. Leaving out at 5FPS on 640x480. Untill it's works as well and better than windows proper. Normies  are going to say no, and bust out a Xbox, or maybe their PC.

15 minutes ago, Xiee said:

A lot of companies already allow anti-cheat (EAC/Battleye) to work.

The others like Bungie, who still refuse to have SteamDeck support, are just lazy blokes and blame it on "mah security".

Watch the videos on LTT/otherchannel on the  PTSD companies have for having mainstream Linux support.  And actually Bungie did have a few tittles native to Linux way back in the 90s. I think they even helped port marathon 2 and 3 to X11, with some nifty postscript stunts so enemies worked.   And a small tittle called Myth, and Myth 2, were native. Trying to support it even on native debian and I forget what else. Was pretty hard. Blizzard at one time had a internal and beta Warcraft Client. As far as I know that's never been released though. But they did try to officially support Wine.  As they put it, if they were a 25man raidboss, Linux users somehow had 60people show up.  On the other hand they did officially provide some help for getting the client running with Vulkan up to MOP, but stopped at that.  It wasn't worth it beyond keeping Warden from giving a linux and or wine user a hard ban. As in nuked account. A small percentage of people, for a huge cost, and staff time. As compared to windows and MacOS. Even then curseclient, addons, threat and DPS meters, spell efects and pain levels of lag in just a 5man dungeon or zoning into town was to quote MST3K "Deeeeeep Huuuurting.". 

2 minutes ago, Gork said:

Watch the videos on LTT/otherchannel on the  PTSD companies have for having mainstream Linux support.  And actually Bungie did have a few tittles native to Linux way back in the 90s. I think they even helped port marathon 2 and 3 to X11, with some nifty postscript stunts so enemies worked.   And a small tittle called Myth, and Myth 2, were native. Trying to support it even on native debian and I forget what else. Was pretty hard. Blizzard at one time had a internal and beta Warcraft Client. As far as I know that's never been released though. But they did try to officially support Wine.  As they put it, if they were a 25man raidboss, Linux users somehow had 60people show up.  On the other hand they did officially provide some help for getting the client running with Vulkan up to MOP, but stopped at that.  It wasn't worth it beyond keeping Warden from giving a linux and or wine user a hard ban. As in nuked account. A small percentage of people, for a huge cost, and staff time. As compared to windows and MacOS. Even then curseclient, addons, threat and DPS meters, spell efects and pain levels of lag in just a 5man dungeon or zoning into town was to quote MST3K "Deeeeeep Huuuurting.". 

Whoa, TLDR.

gamerant.com/destiny-2-dev-bungie-explains-no-support-steam-deck/

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

16 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

That is quite some misinfo you are spreading there. The massive amount of support takes place for already well established or large projects. Most companies rip off OSS projects and their devs. It is only the small percentage of large companies that contribute back with code. Sure you might read some blog post about hiring some guy who worked on OSS, but typically when these companies hire some of these folks in OSS positions, it is mainly the project leaders of large high profile projects. This is a big problem and why many people just get burnt out from OSS, because  realistically your project isn't going to be as big as linux. There are only few companies that are actually very pro OSS and help in the development of a thriving OSS ecosystem(ibm/redhat, google, ms, meta, intel etc)

And apple isn't even that well known for OSS. They sporadically contribute to BSD and other projects and their financial support is pithy when compared to their size. Heck, if you just want to have a laugh, try finding how much apple donates to the freebsd project(https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-donors/donors/?donationType=individual&donationYear=2023).

Before you accuse of spreading false information without stating any details, please specify what misinformation I am spreading.

Please include sources for the facts you are claiming.

FYI:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members

In reply to your second paragraph...
https://foundation.llvm.org/docs/sponsors/
https://opensource.apple.com/

Wine for mac has existed for years... just not a port for the apple silicon macs.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 6/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

That is quite some misinfo you are spreading there. The massive amount of support takes place for already well established or large projects. Most companies rip off OSS projects and their devs. It is only the small percentage of large companies that contribute back with code. Sure you might read some blog post about hiring some guy who worked on OSS, but typically when these companies hire some of these folks in OSS positions, it is mainly the project leaders of large high profile projects. This is a big problem and why many people just get burnt out from OSS, because  realistically your project isn't going to be as big as linux. There are only few companies that are actually very pro OSS and help in the development of a thriving OSS ecosystem(ibm/redhat, google, ms, meta, intel etc)

And apple isn't even that well known for OSS. They sporadically contribute to BSD and other projects and their financial support is pithy when compared to their size. Heck, if you just want to have a laugh, try finding how much apple donates to the freebsd project(https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-donors/donors/?donationType=individual&donationYear=2023).

Are you taking your time to prepare a complete list of the misinformation I am spreading?

On 6/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, Vishera said:

Wine Is Not an Emulator

I didnt know it was an acronym :^)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 6/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, da na said:

Linux mfs been like "This is my year" for the past two decades

Literally me. I think the current state of desktop Linux is basically bad from the perspective of regular users or gamers. I do run Ubuntu myself, but I don't recommend it to people the way I do iPads for reading, macOS for developers, or Windows 11 for gaming.

Nevertheless, I constantly find myself reading some Linux news and saying "oh, I think we might be turning a corner here". I've been thinking it since Ubuntu released the Unity desktop environment 12 years ago. 

On 6/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, ToboRobot said:

Aaaand, my point still stands. LLVM and Linux are massive developer facing projects. It is obvious they receive money. And if we are comparing donations and code contributions, Apple donated 250 bucks to the damn FreeBSD project with only sporadic contributions.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, ToboRobot said:

please specify what misinformation I am spreading.

Yeah, I apologize for that. I meant to remove that from my post but it slipped out of my mind.

Spoiler

If it counts, this was going to replace it:

what you said is a gross oversimplfication of how companies interact with OSS projects. The massive amount of support takes place for already well established or large projects...