Is the salesmen telling the truth?

latiosx
Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

Well im trying to get a gtx770 into my system, salesmen recommend me to buy at least 700W gold rated power supply. im not convinced, according to nvdia webpage, gtx 770 required minimum wattage of 600W, also i have calculated the system(including little future upgrades), it shows me that i will need about 430W, i know it is better to have about 100-200W more than what the wattage calculator shows. The question is, should i go 700W gold rated or 600W bronze rated PSU. higher wattage definitely is better, but is it necessary?

P/S :i cant expand my budget any bigger 

here is my build,

CPU: i5 4670

GPU: msi gtx 770 twin frozer 2 gb

HD: 1TB HDD WesternDigital

SSD: 1 unit(not buying now due to budget)

RAM: 2 stick kingston 4gb hyperX

Casing: K820 cooler master 

FANS: total 3

Motherboard:G1sniper B5 gigabyte or MSI b85-G43

note: not planning to overclock cpu, adding sound card, network card, raid card, DVD rom or any other device in future. 

500w would be enough. 600w is plenty.

Well im trying to get a gtx770 into my system, salesmen recommend me to buy at least 700W gold rated power supply. im not convinced, according to nvdia webpage, gtx 770 required minimum wattage of 600W, also i have calculated the system(including little future upgrades), it shows me that i will need about 430W, i know it is better to have about 100-200W more than what the wattage calculator shows. The question is, should i go 700W gold rated or 600W bronze rated PSU. higher wattage definitely is better, but is it necessary?

here is my build,

note: not planning to overclock cpu, adding sound card, network card, raid card, DVD rom or any other device in future. 

here is my build,

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I use 600W and had no problems whatsoever.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

If he's thinking you might add 2 GTX770's in SLI, then he's covering you for the future. Otherwise 500w should be ample enough to run that hardware, 600w just in case you add say 3 more hard drives and a cpu radiator cooler or something.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You're more than fine with 600w. As ZetZet said, you could get by with a good 500w.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

600W is enough, especially since you won't be overclocking. However as a salesman recommending a 700W PSU is perfectly fine in my opinion.

A friend of mine has a 770 and uses a 550W Gold PSU. It works just fine.

I use 600W and had no problems whatsoever.

If he's thinking you might add 2 GTX770's in SLI, then he's covering you for the future. Otherwise 500w should be ample enough to run that hardware, 600w just in case you add say 3 more hard drives and a cpu radiator cooler or something.

A 500watts PSU would be enough.

You're more than fine with 600w. As ZetZet said, you could get by with a good 500w.

600W is enough, especially since you won't be overclocking. However as a salesman recommending a 700W PSU is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Thanks for the information, it really helps.

450 is probably enough, look at me!

you should be golden with what you got.