Nothing but issues with Nvidia Drivers!

A.Hruskach

This all began when Cyberpunk 2077 froze on fast travel back in February. I have followed all the recommended steps to fix it but nothing worked, it just started a new nightmare...

To fix this crash, I did the following...

• Rebooted computer
  • Verified Game files via Steam (3 different times, all passed!)
  • Reinstalled Nvidia Driver
  • Complete uninstall / Reinstall of Cyberpunk 2077
  • Clean Install of Nvidia Driver
  • Cleared Shader Cache
  • Deleted associated game temp files / folders
  • Disabled In Game overlays / 3rd party software
  • Disabled Overclock (wasnt overclocked anyway)
  • Attempted Nvidia Graphics driver downgrade (**SIDE NOTE**)
  • Selected GPU preference in windows to select dedicated gpu.
  • Started with minimum graphics settings (With and without Vesync)
  • Got so frustrated that I wiped my system and did a clean install of Windows 11 (same as before).
  • Reinstalled GPU drivers and Cyberpunk 2077... CRASH!

I'm sorta stuck here because ever since that has started happening, I sometimes get HORRIBLE GPU hangs where not even task manager can display on top of the hung game window. I have to force a reboot to correct it. *edit* Other programs and windows experience the hang issue. Multiple other games, as well as other misc applications.

These are the drivers ive gone thru... 

GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    535.98    May 30, 2023 (will update to after posting this thread)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    532.03    May 24, 2023 (current)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    531.79    May 2, 2023 (Tried, Issue persists)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    531.68    April 18, 2023 (Tried, Issue persists)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    531.61    April 13, 2023 (Tried, Issue persists)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    531.41    March 23, 2023 (Issue started with this driver)
    GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL    531.29    March 14, 2023 (tried to downgrade to, but Corrupted on every download, skipped) (**SIDE NOTE**)

**SIDE NOTE**I tried downloading the previous driver from Nvidia's site, download always gets corrupted at end no matter how many times I retired. I did it on other browsers and other computers even and its always corrupted?? I started a support ticket but they insisted that it was my antivirus (bitdefender). No matter how I tried to explain it, he just kept saying uninstall it. Dead end there. Useless support)

There are very few logs / error messages when this happens. Cyberpunk 2077 gave an "assert error". Maybe DX12 related? but the windows 11 reinstall should of fixed that....

2nd edit:

System Specs: Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2020 Edition (RZ09-0330x)  i7-10875H / RTX 2070 Super Max-Q

Couple quick things to try as you didn't post any specs of the hardware that you're using:

- Is it overheating?

- Go to start, search, 'event viewer', 'windows logs' -> 'application', right click and go to 'filter current log', check on critical and error then click ok. Anything related show up there (there will likely be some random errors here and there but specifically looking for anything related to your crashes)? Most of the time it's useless info but sometimes you'll get a reason or actual error message in there. You can also check 'System' as well.

- Check RAM with Memtest. One 'pass' should do.

- Check SSD SMART health with CrystalDiskInfo or the tool released by your drive's manufacturer (Samsung magician, wd dashboard, etc).

Not so 'quick and easy' but I had a client's computer with the same kind of issues as what you're having. His problem ended up being a bad PSU, replacing it made all the errors go away.

Hopefully this helps lead you somewhere towards a solution.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

On 6/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, Darkseth said:

Which GPU?
Did you try it in another PC / anotehr GPU in your PC?

Its on my gaming laptop, so no. But Cyberpunk 2077 used to run great for extended periods of time. I would run high settings without ray tracing and record / save replays for hours on end every day. Never had an issue. Its ever since the previously mentioned GPU driver was installed around February. 

On 6/5/2023 at 5:38 PM, gen_angry said:

Couple quick things to try as you didn't post any specs of the hardware that you're using:

- Is it overheating?

- Go to start, search, 'event viewer', 'windows logs' -> 'application', right click and go to 'filter current log', check on critical and error then click ok. Anything related show up there (there will likely be some random errors here and there but specifically looking for anything related to your crashes)? Most of the time it's useless info but sometimes you'll get a reason or actual error message in there. You can also check 'System' as well.

- Check RAM with Memtest. One 'pass' should do.

- Check SSD SMART health with CrystalDiskInfo or the tool released by your drive's manufacturer (Samsung magician, wd dashboard, etc).

Not so 'quick and easy' but I had a client's computer with the same kind of issues as what you're having. His problem ended up being a bad PSU, replacing it made all the errors go away.

Hopefully this helps lead you somewhere towards a solution.

Great suggestions, thank you! 

It might be a power / thermal issue, but its a tough call. My Razer Blade that i run cyberpunk on has a long list of user reviews saying it gets hot, and yes, it does. But I never had it thermal throttle, and it never goes above 81C, normally runs at 74C. But the PSU in the charging block gets insanely hot (users complain about that too!) and sometimes even triggers a thermal cutoff. But that did not occur anytime near this GPU issue and ive played cyberpunk for months after this happened with no issues at all.

Event logs did not show anything about power or thermals, and also didnt say much of anything regarding the crash either.

I run an OEM Samsung M.2 SSD and the samsung SSD utility doesnt give much info on it. Il try crystaldisk and see if its better.

On 6/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, Rayyan9400 said:

did u ddu it?

Ill try that! Thanks! I sometimes thought that remaining drivers from old installations might still be lingering around.

50 minutes ago, A.Hruskach said:

Its on my gaming laptop, so no. But Cyberpunk 2077 used to run great for extended periods of time. I would run high settings without ray tracing and record / save replays for hours on end every day. Never had an issue. Its ever since the previously mentioned GPU driver was installed around February. 

Consider having a defective Hardware. It's always possible you got unlucky with your model.

I upgradet to a 13600k last week, and my Corsair Vengeance DDR5 Ram was probably faulty, causing instability (like activating XMP gave me an instant freeze).

If it doesn't run stable, i suggest using the Warranty as if you still can.

Is it crashing to desktop or is your computer rebooting? I can't tell which from the info you provided. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

are you on high performance in windows and nvidia control panels

have you figured if this switching to integrated?