What the strongest cpu for the HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8?

Hello
I recently purchased a HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 on ebay and i am woundering whats the strongest cpu or it... the way intel names its processors for that time is very confusing and they dont say which lga2011 they use since apparently there multiple versions?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

id asume its the E5-2687W?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

Given that it’s HP the cpu is probably soldered down.  I don’t know of a socketed cpu laptop for a long long time does the thing even have a socket?  If it’s soldered down (BGA) the one that’s in it is the only one that can ever be in it without a full innards swap. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Given that it’s HP the cpu is probably soldered down.  I don’t know of a socketed cpu laptop for a long long time does the thing even have a socket?  If it’s soldered down (BGA) the one that’s in it is the only one that can ever be in it without a full innards swap. 

It's a server, not a laptop.

1 hour ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

Hello
I recently purchased a HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 on ebay and i am woundering whats the strongest cpu or it... the way intel names its processors for that time is very confusing and they dont say which lga2011 they use since apparently there multiple versions?

What CPU is currently in it? There is indeed a 2011 socket and 2011-3 with the -3 socket being the newer one.

2 hours ago, Naijin said:

It's a server, not a laptop.

Ah.  Then it might.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Naijin said:

What CPU is currently in it? There is indeed a 2011 socket and 2011-3 with the -3 socket being the newer one.

E5-2630L

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 hour ago, Naijin said:

This is an LGA2011 socket processor, do others will fit. A full list of 2011 socket processors can be found here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011#Server_processors

These include sandy bridge, ivy bridge, haswell and broadwell architectures.

so only the LGA2011 sockets? no LGA2011-1, 2 or 3?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

2 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

so only the LGA2011 sockets? no LGA2011-1, 2 or 3?

Yup 2011 only.

Make sure you have newer firmware if you want to use the v2 cpu(and you really should use the v2 cpus there a good amount better).

Note that it can't run v3 and v4 CPUs, those were LGA2011-3. You can only run Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge in that chassis.

Which CPU is "best" depends on whether you need high clock speeds or a lot of cores. You can probably find 10-core E5-2680 v2s for a song and dance these days, but their clock speeds are going to be lower than an E5-2637 v2.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Note that it can't run v3 and v4 CPUs, those were LGA2011-3. You can only run Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge in that chassis.

Which CPU is "best" depends on whether you need high clock speeds or a lot of cores. You can probably find 10-core E5-2680 v2s for a song and dance these days, but their clock speeds are going to be lower than an E5-2637 v2.

im searching vor mix of both...
i can prob find it on my own...

Dual X5690 my beloved.

would 4xxx and 8xxx cpus work?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

12 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

im searching vor mix of both...
i can prob find it on my own...

Basically, you have your pick from this list (any E5-26xx v2):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_processors_(Ivy_Bridge-based)#Xeon_E5-26xx_v2_(dual-processor)

Price the CPUs out on eBay, they should be pretty cheap. Here's a pair of 10-core E5-2680 v2s for $20 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325665314207

I sold my soul for ProSupport.