Do you think LMG should make their own PC case?

VinLAURiA

I'm sure Linus and co. all have some strong opinions on what makes a good PC case, and I'd like to see what their ideal case layout would be. Especially with LTTStore taking on bigger and more custom-tooled projects like with the screwdriver and backpack, I wonder if this would be within their design and manufacturing capabilities. The only real custom electronics to consider would be the front I/O panel as far as I'm aware, while I imagine the rest case would just be machined sheet metal and externally-sourced parts like thumbscrews and fans, the latter of which you could partner with manufacturers like Noctua or Corsair for. Or even an option to just go completely barebones so the buyer can provide their own fans.

Considering the channel's focus as a layperson's introduction to tech, I'd imagine it would be a case designed to be super easy for beginners to build in but with enough features and airflow that an expert builder could still be satisfied with the purchase.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

No they should not. Not worth the time or effort, especially not the expense. Case making is extremely expensive, especially making custom molds, getting a factory willing to take it on. Better spent elsewhere. 

Given they made a backpack that costs $250 and a glorified pencil case that costs $60, I dread to think how much they'd charge for a case!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

No, everybody talks about how stiff the competition is in that market. There are a ton of options in all styles, priceranges and different foci.

The R&D + production costs would make it very unlikely to turn a profit. Also Linus have often stated that a big part of the products they pursue are things he feels the existing market cannot provide and I REALLY doubt that is the case (pardon the pun) here.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On top of what everyone has already said; PC components are also extremely low margin. It's a waste of time, effort, expenses, and warehouse storage to join the PC case market.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I've seen tons of case unboxings where the case was completely mangled in shipping.  They have tiny margins on these things and the returns would probably kill them, especially since people love ordering LTT stuff from other countries.

I thought I recall them mentioning it once somewhere. Not sure where.

A from-scratch design? Probably not.
A partnership special edition case - absolutely possible. Take an existing case design & do a custom color combo & custom front and/or side panels, easy peasey. 

How much do you love him?

Must have moar Linus merch?

Pour quoi?

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

It's been mentioned as something he doesn't want to do. However, if you just want LTT colors, there's options to get you pretty close. Some are in that thread above, and there's also this case.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/pop/pop-air/rgb-orange-core/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's been mentioned as something he doesn't want to do. However, if you just want LTT colors, there's options to get you pretty close. Some are in that thread above, and there's also this case.

also dont forget the NR200p orange:

https://store.coolermaster.com/eu/masterbox-nr200p-sunset-orange

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

6 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Ah yes. I totally did forget something that the same person linked in the thread I linked. 
/s

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Ah yes. I totally did forget something that the same person linked in the thread I linked. 
/s

No reason to get snappy.

Edit: I didn't notice the link to the other thread. I just saw the fractal link 

14 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

And for everything else, there's spray paint.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Would love to see LTT Store collab with some case manufactures for niche cases for NAS, home servers, and gaming cases.  Especially interested in flat pack designs.  But a Luke edition caselabs case would be great.

On 6/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, VinLAURiA said:

I'd imagine it would be a case designed to be super easy for beginners to build in but with enough features and airflow that an expert builder could still be satisfied with the purchase.

there are literally hundreds of cases that fit these requirements.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒