Big news for Mac gaming: Crossover gains DX12 support

Obioban

Summary

Crossover on Mac is similar to Proton on Linux— lets you run windows games. Historically it hasn’t supported DX12, which significantly limited compatibility. The latest beta is adding it for the first time.

Quotes

It's with immense pleasure that we bring you an update on the much-anticipated DirectX 12 support for CrossOver Mac. Brace yourself as we reveal the remarkable progress we've made and the adventures that lie ahead!

My thoughts

This is a pretty big deal for Mac gaming. With every new Mac coming with at least a decent GPU on board and unprecedented compatibility currently, Mac gaming is making strides at a pretty remarkable rate.

Sources

https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/mjohnson/2023/6/1/unleashing-the-gaming-revolution-crossover-macs-directx-12-support-update

I imagine most games will still have to run through Rosetta, with x86 likely to reign supreme in gaming until the consoles go ARM. I'm also not sure how great all the GPUs are, particularly in the Air. Even the Pros, without a RAM upgrade, 16GB is not a lot for both the GPU and CPU if you're working it hard.

And who buys a Mac for gaming anyway? Macs have many strengths, but gaming is probably their most famous weakness.

34 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I imagine most games will still have to run through Rosetta, with x86 likely to reign supreme in gaming until the consoles go ARM. I'm also not sure how great all the GPUs are, particularly in the Air. Even the Pros, without a RAM upgrade, 16GB is not a lot for both the GPU and CPU if you're working it hard.

And who buys a Mac for gaming anyway? Macs have many strengths, but gaming is probably their most famous weakness.

M1 should be competitive with faster iGPUs, such as Iris XE, Vega APUs, etc. not terribly fast, but should offer up enough performance to play a lot. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

47 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

16GB is not a lot for both the GPU and CPU if you're working it hard.

That puts it at parity with current gen consoles, although how much is available may be less overall. Also it is unified like the consoles. The lower performance of the GPU might take pressure off since it'll be unlikely to be used with more demanding settings. Let's see where the performance really ends up.

47 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Maybe not bought specifically for gaming, but if you have one already for other uses, more accessible PC games is a bonus.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

image.png.1105442c3da626d8e90dfdc575895cf5.png

image.png.32300d2e9bf51e76a99a155d810c1b82.png

image.png.ae631df65a335298f589a4b24e16ebdf.png

The base original M1 GPU benchmarks a little bit below a 1650. Not amazing, but pretty solid for being the worst thing on offer for the last 3 years (and newer/higher end Apple Silicon chips being considerably more performant). 

GPU tasks have almost zero performance penalty when run through Rosetta. 

Nobody should currently buy a Mac for gaming, but if they get it as a bonus… Only better. But, in lots of ways at once, their most famous weakness is rapidly becoming less of a weakness. If they want the VR to succeed, they’re going to have to court game devs. They’ve rapidly been improving their graphics API stack recently. Apple silicon all has at least a decent GPU, and some quite performant. Most windows games will soon work through crossover, as DX12 support comes online. 

22 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Nobody should currently buy a Mac for gaming, but if they get it as a bonus

Exactly the way I see it too. If anybody ever asks me whether they should get a Mac, because they know I have used them for years, my first question is "Are you mostly just wanting to play games on it?", and if their answer is yes, then I steer them back to getting a Windows machine instead.

I've been enjoying RE:Village on my Mac though, the more games come available is just a bonus to me, as I very rarely game anyway (I gave up prior to Xbox One/PS4 era as I couldn't justify the time spent anymore), so the limited selection of games simply doesn't matter to me 🙂

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

If you have the source code then supporting ARM64 is not a big deal at all. 

As to memory 16GB is not that bad, remember modern consoles also have this amount.

10 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

Exactly the way I see it too. If anybody ever asks me whether they should get a Mac, because they know I have used them for years, my first question is "Are you mostly just wanting to play games on it?", and if their answer is yes, then I steer them back to getting a Windows machine instead.

I've been enjoying RE:Village on my Mac though, the more games come available is just a bonus to me, as I very rarely game anyway (I gave up prior to Xbox One/PS4 era as I couldn't justify the time spent anymore), so the limited selection of games simply doesn't matter to me 🙂

I have a gaming PC... 

... but since I had a kid, it almost never gets turned on. 90% of what I actually play these days is my switch, and 10% actually is on the Mac, since I'm already on it for other stuff. 

While we are elated with this breakthrough, we acknowledge that our journey has just begun. Our team’s investigations concluded that there was no single magic key that unlocked DirectX 12 support on macOS. To get just Diablo II Resurrected running, we had to fix a multitude of bugs involving MoltenVK and SPIRV-Cross. We anticipate that this will be the case for other DirectX 12 games: we will need to add support on a per-title basis, and each game will likely involve multiple bugs.

That sounds like far less of a "breakthrough" than the headlines would have us believe.

-kp

1 hour ago, kpluck said:

That sounds like far less of a "breakthrough" than the headlines would have us believe.

-kp

Per an interview I heard with him, that is the short term case— but over time they expect each game to need less fixes, eventually resulting in it being generic DX12 translation.

Sounds awesome. I just bought an M2 Mac mini, and while I'm not a huge gamer, I would love a bit more selection than what is currently available - I've been making do with CS:GO and Cities:Skylines. 😄 Honestly, I'd love to just have a decent gaming PC but I simply can't justify spending hundreds on something that I'll barely use.

43 minutes ago, AutumnVolume said:

Sounds awesome. I just bought an M2 Mac mini, and while I'm not a huge gamer, I would love a bit more selection than what is currently available - I've been making do with CS:GO and Cities:Skylines. 😄 Honestly, I'd love to just have a decent gaming PC but I simply can't justify spending hundreds on something that I'll barely use.

No man’s sky port is pretty freaking solid. And since I already bought it on steam for windows and never played it, “free”! 

Interesting. Apple made translation layer for DX12.