Question related 5800X3D temps

lambo603

Hello

I know it's been discussed already but I'm finding it so weird still that I'd kinda want to ask on my own.

I have recently bought the 5800X3D, installed it with my rather small tower cooler (be quiet pure rock 2 FX with 150 watt TDP) but it started overheating immediately when running Cinebench and then in games it would hover at 80-87C. I have remounted it but it remained the same. I am using TG Kryonaut each time, spreading it manually over the CPU evenly.

Thus I decided to buy an AIO as I wanted 1 for quite some time, went with the "Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT" as I found 1 open box for cheap and it's the biggest cooler that I can fit in my case.

So while it is a lot better in games, 10-15C less compared, it still jumps to 80C immediately in R23 and then slowly creeps up to 90-91 and starts throttling.

PS: The radiator is mounted on the top of the case, pulling fresh air into the PC, not exhausting hot air out.

I have heard that they are hot CPUs bcs there's the 3D cache in between the cores and the IHS, but is that normal behaviour for it?

I know it won't hurt it technically, but it is not ideal.

Hope anyone can help me?

Kind regards

lambo603

11 minutes ago, lambo603 said:

Hello

I know it's been discussed already but I'm finding it so weird still that I'd kinda want to ask on my own.

I have recently bought the 5800X3D, installed it with my rather small tower cooler (be quiet pure rock 2 FX with 150 watt TDP) but it started overheating immediately when running Cinebench and then in games it would hover at 80-87C. I have remounted it but it remained the same. I am using TG Kryonaut each time, spreading it manually over the CPU evenly.

Thus I decided to buy an AIO as I wanted 1 for quite some time, went with the "Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT" as I found 1 open box for cheap and it's the biggest cooler that I can fit in my case.

So while it is a lot better in games, 10-15C less compared, it still jumps to 80C immediately in R23 and then slowly creeps up to 90-91 and starts throttling.

PS: The radiator is mounted on the top of the case, pulling fresh air into the PC, not exhausting hot air out.

I have heard that they are hot CPUs bcs there's the 3D cache in between the cores and the IHS, but is that normal behaviour for it?

I know it won't hurt it technically, but it is not ideal.

Hope anyone can help me?

Kind regards

lambo603

your airflow in your case may not be good enough to keep up with all the hot air in the case you said the radiator is pulling air in but you need space still for the air to leave, you may also need a better computer case to make airflow better

Just now, rust_naked1 said:

your airflow in your case may not be good enough to keep up with all the hot air in the case you said the radiator is pulling air in but you need space still for the air to leave, you may also need a better computer case to make airflow better

be quiet pure base 500FX

3x 120mm fans in the front and 1x140mm in the back as exhaust.

Front fans and AIO are intaking and rear fan is exhausting.

Plus it doesn't have any issues cooling the water, so doubt the AIO fans or configuration are to blame for that

It's more of an issue in heat transfer from the CPU to the AIO in the first place, water stays below 35C in gaming.

Would that indicate a bad mount somehow or would you consider these temps to be normal for a 3D?

Yes that is normal. Also, you can severely reduce the temp by setting a CO offset. Some people just say to set it to -30 but from my experience that is not stable on every CPU. On mine I have to settle to -22 to -23 offset. That reduces the temp by around 11C with around 15C reduction at -30 offset (on my CPU) but I'm only barely stable for benchmarking purposes at -30 offset.

CO (Curve Optimizer) offset should be available in BIOS somewhere near PBO settings. It basically moves the voltage/frequency curve so that you get the same clocks on lower voltages. The offset does not go lower than -30 even if you can set it so.

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes that is normal. Also, you can severely reduce the temp by setting a CO offset. Some people just say to set it to -30 but from my experience that is not stable on every CPU. On mine I have to settle to -22 to -23 offset. That reduces the temp by around 11C with around 15C reduction at -30 offset (on my CPU) but I'm only barely stable for benchmarking purposes at -30 offset.

CO (Curve Optimizer) offset should be available in BIOS somewhere near PBO settings. It basically moves the voltage/frequency curve so that you get the same clocks on lower voltages. The offset does not go lower than -30 even if you can set it so.

I will give that a try, I will just do -20 and leave it there honestly 

23 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It doesn't appear that I can do that in my BIOS, there's no such option.

Is there any other way to do it?

1 minute ago, lambo603 said:

It doesn't appear that I can do that in my BIOS, there's no such option.

Is there any other way to do it?

Do you have the newest BIOS? Most boards should have that available now in new BIOSes but if not you can still do it the old way... which I don't really like as it's just too much cumbersome vs just setting a number in BIOS and call it a day.

https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

Just now, WereCat said:

Do you have the newest BIOS? Most boards should have that available now in new BIOSes but if not you can still do it the old way... which I don't really like as it's just too much cumbersome vs just setting a number in BIOS and call it a day.

https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner

Yes, I am sure.

Asrock only added that feauture with the Agesa 1.2.0.8 update and mine board only has 1.2.0.7 still in the latest bios 😕

I think I'd rather not use that software as it seems quite easy to mess up 😂

Think I'll leave it as is, I only do gaming and there it's below 80C still.