I'm Stepping Down..

James
1 hour ago, Levent said:

Well luckily there are companies/YouTubers out there who do a better job than LTT when it comes to “factual reporting”

LTTs videos have been riddled with issues for so long that I wouldn’t even recommend them for that purpose. Sure there fun videos here and there but I wouldn’t rely on their numbers at all.

It seems since at least 2020 Most of the LTT  videos were basically  building a PC video. And so far the videos have been: Nvidia's GPUs are a ripoff. I agree that nvidia GPU's are are ripoff. and so are amd's.   But they took a long time to do any tech upgrade follow up videos, to the point intel dropped them. And only one AMD one.  GN and  Jayz videos are pretty depressing compared to LTT's. and GN can't give a straitforward answer without steve hedging his bets a lot of the time. Although They did have sort of recent video finally pointing out the insanity of the GPU part size and prices. I just don't see LTT doing that.

Can't imagine it was easy rejecting a $100M offer 😲

But best of luck in your new role, Linus!

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

11 minutes ago, Gork said:

It seems since at least 2020 Most of the LTT  videos were basically  building a PC video. And so far the videos have been: Nvidia's GPUs are a ripoff. I agree that nvidia GPU's are are ripoff. and so are amd's.   But they took a long time to do any tech upgrade follow up videos, to the point intel dropped them. And only one AMD one.  GN and  Jayz videos are pretty depressing compared to LTT's. and GN can't give a straitforward answer without steve hedging his bets a lot of the time. Although They did have sort of recent video finally pointing out the insanity of the GPU part size and prices. I just don't see LTT doing that.

same here...

also.

linus tip to new ceo..

why do you keep coltan around....

fall guy......

new ceo... smart idea!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

2 hours ago, idmb said:

just don't let Terren cancel the badminton project 

Pretty sure that’s Linus’s personal project, completely independent (financially at least) of LMG. 

2 hours ago, Exit7568 said:

He said 9 figures, so $100M minimum (likely much much more than that)

On the WAN show he left it ambiguous, on this video he said plainly $100M. 3:56

2 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

There are a few other C suite positions there's Luke who is the CTO, and Nick Light who is the COO. Though I don't know if they would count as board of director equivalents.

Don't forget that Luke is COO of Floatplane, adding a whole other layer of complexity. I assume Nick Light is also COO of Creator Warehouse, but I don't know for sure. Then there's Labs, which is just a division of LMG whose main reason for not being its own company is that it was it would be too much work to administer another company. And I'm not sure if the badminton project will be another company underneath the holding company that owns LMG, Floatplane, and Creator Warehouse, or if it will be its own completely separate thing. 

Good for Linus 🙂. Also, Mr. Beast said no to 1 billion, he shouldn't sweat about a measly 100mil.

I hope with these changes, the videography of some videos could improve. I would love to see a consistent/cleaner video quality comparable to mkbhd, Peter McKinnon, etc. 

4 hours ago, Levent said:

Yeah nah this ain’t going to last. I have seen this behavior from others couple of times, you either retire or you still run your company

FYI Linus, you should have taken the $100M offer.

Linus and Von still own the company. Linus really needed to do this a while ago, but finding someone that would work was going to take time. This is actually a really good hire for LMG.

2 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

I'm surprised he didn't take the 100M offer, that would have been enough for a downpayment for a house in Vancouver when his oldest is 18 /s

If the offer was 60 million cash and 40m in equity, that means the transaction viewed LMG as outright worth 60 million in cash that day. As strange as it sounds, that's probably a significant low-ball.  There's a pretty well founded understanding that LMG's revenue was over 15 million a couple of years ago. It's probably closer to the >20 mil USD. The 100 Employees point to that being at least the range. A acquisition at below 8x Revenue would be weird unless there was massive debt.

Whoever was offering that was actually after Creator Warehouse, as strange as that sounds. Which is also why it doesn't really behoove Linus to sell the company. If the company is worth 100 million and Linus can turn it down, it means the parties can see the future value in the Brand. LMG has already carved out a solid high-quality merchandising brand with global reach.  It's the classic reality some understand with Star Wars: it was the 300+ million profit in Toy Sales each year for Decades that was the value of the IP.  Same situation with LMG. As they keep pushing products forward and building out the infrastructure, the merchandising side of the business becomes its own ever expanding venture. 

3 hours ago, idmb said:

just don't let Terren cancel the badminton project 

I must have missed that WAN show. What's the badminton project?

4 hours ago, Levent said:

Yeah nah this ain’t going to last. I have seen this behavior from others couple of times, you either retire or you still run your company

You have seen too many Movies and Tv Shows.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I must have missed that WAN show. What's the badminton project?

Linus bought a badminton center. At this point it will have 14 courts and a 1600sqft gym. 

My understanding is that while I’m sure Luke and co might help with tech infrastructure, it’s overall Linus’s personal finances and not associated with LMG. 

Short version why: Cause he’s tired of dealing with other centers scheduling and just cause he can. Also might give excuse to check out machine vision and other tech (like to keep score, recently said doubt he’ll actually do that). 

Also might be able to convert it occasionally to LAN center. 

10 minutes ago, swimtome said:

Linus bought a badminton center. At this point it will have 14 courts and a 1600sqft gym. 

My understanding is that while I’m sure Luke and co might help with tech infrastructure, it’s overall Linus’s personal finances and not associated with LMG. 

Short version why: Cause he’s tired of dealing with other centers scheduling and just cause he can. Also might give excuse to check out machine vision and other tech (like to keep score, recently said doubt he’ll actually do that). 

Also might be able to convert it occasionally to LAN center. 

There's a reason he can turn down 100 million, haha. 

More seriously, while the CEO part of his business has run him pretty dry for years, Linus has really good business sense. I do think I vaguely remember a WAN show where the idea had come up. If it's a viable business he can just let someone else manage, it also can create other opportunities for things he does with LMG.  Not every business needs to grow to a megacorp (something lost on a lot of folks, oddly enough). Linus in the Badminton Court Franchise system might be hilarious. 

About 10-15 years ago, I worked for a startup pop culture Web site (as a moderator) - just after it was sold by the founders to a mega-corp - who sold it off to another mega-corp.  The heart of it basically got gutted, and it sputtered on for a few years before vanishing into pop culture history.

I'd say Linus did the right thing.

Can't deny it, i'd be really interested to know who made the $100M offer. I'm sure there is an NDA preventing LTT to reveal the interested party, but speculating could be fun:

• "Disney Tech Tips": Everyone's cuteness factor is dialed up to 11
  • "Google Tech Tips": Now with ten sponsoring messages per video rather than the regular two!
  • "Microsoft Tech Tips": Blue Screen of Death whenever the WAN show hits the 4hrs mark
  • "Marvel Tech Tips": The sponsor message in the end of each video gets to be an epic 3d animation

1 hour ago, JohnYeh said:

Good for Linus 🙂. Also, Mr. Beast said no to 10 billion

What the actual fuck

39 minutes ago, Lupino said:

Can't deny it, i'd be really interested to know who made the $100M offer.

It's probably newscorp in my opinion.

So, how long until LTT rebrands. Linus has been annoyed with the "Linus" Tech Tips for several years now. Now it's a new CEO. You know Linus will push for a rebrand/rename as soon as the situation allows.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Hopefully, there will be a Q&A on Youtube, preferably live.

To make it Floatplane exclusive is an affront to all the Youtube community, which made you in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Trombomaniac said:

Hopefully, there will be a Q&A on Youtube, preferably live.

To make it Floatplane exclusive is an affront to all the Youtube community, which made you in the first place.

Youtube is an affront to the youtube community. The less the people I enjoy content of use that place, the better.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

7 minutes ago, eldergeek said:

Youtube is an affront to the youtube community. The less the people I enjoy content of use that place, the better.

Despite all the flaws, which YouTube does have, I stand by my previous post.

6 hours ago, Levent said:

I think he made the intelligent decision to not take the money. As he said in the video, with that kind of money would he buy a bigger house? A faster car? Make it so his kids and their kids never work a day in their life? That's not winning. That's a curse.

People often think the dream is to get FU money and never work again. But the true dream is to find a job you enjoy and make just enough money to live in comfort. Seems to me Linus has figured out the secret to happiness and it's NOT more money. He's smarter than many people twice his age.

At first I was sad to read the title, but it does make sense and having been in the same position but for a much, much smaller company, I totally understand it.

Hopefully this works out the way intended, keeping your morals and not selling out is good, long term planning. Fingers crossed and awaiting the future.

Some times the best thing to do is step back and start to enjoy life, time is so short in this world, so now there should be more of it to spend with family.

So "so long and thanks for all the fish" 😜

Will be interesting if he can actually do it and stay out of the business side of things or if he ends up like the old boss who can't stop meddling even after handing it over to his kids.

Yeah, different scenario but in some ways still the same.

To those being confused. It’s actually a really common thing to happen in owner companies. 

What this does is allow The new CEO (or MD or whatever title you want to call it) to run the business side of things. Manage suppliers, the costs, the multiple sign offs etc, but it still allows the owner to set the direction, and then the CEO works on executing the direction. 

linus and Yvonne are still the owners and so can still fire the CEO, it’s just a reporting shuffle to allow Linus to focus on creativity and content and not admin functions and employee relations

7 hours ago, Levent said:

They hired someone to run part of their company. A proper CEO won't try to dictate everything, so what they found is someone who will take a lot of the work away from Linus. Obviously if a CEO gets out of line and tries to change the company, in a way that the owners don't want, they get called on it. Since both Linus and Yvonne will be there every single day, that shit won't fly.

But that's not what will happen, because Linus knows who he hired, and Terren knows they own the company, so they will empower each other, make each other better.

Taking the 100m is stupid. What is he gonna do? Take it and build a new LMG? Retire and do nothing for the next 50 years. He is loaded already, the best thing you can offer him is better work hours, which is what he did with this choice.

That or they had no idea what to do for their thursday video, and hired a CEO so they could get some content out of it.

47 minutes ago, Chris_UK said:

To those being confused. It’s actually a really common thing to happen in owner companies. 

What this does is allow The new CEO (or MD or whatever title you want to call it) to run the business side of things. Manage suppliers, the costs, the multiple sign offs etc, but it still allows the owner to set the direction, and then the CEO works on executing the direction. 

linus and Yvonne are still the owners and so can still fire the CEO, it’s just a reporting shuffle to allow Linus to focus on creativity and content and not admin functions and employee relations

31 minutes ago, Neroon said:

They hired someone to run part of their company. A proper CEO won't try to dictate everything, so what they found is someone who will take a lot of the work away from Linus. Obviously if a CEO gets out of line and tries to change the company, in a way that the owners don't want, they get called on it. Since both Linus and Yvonne will be there every single day, that shit won't fly.

But that's not what will happen, because Linus knows who he hired, and Terren knows they own the company, so they will empower each other, make each other better.

Exactly. Linus is effectively the chairman now, and he and Yvonne are the board of directors. This way, he can focus on the creative side and set the company's trajectory in broad strokes (his strong suit) while Terren keeps the business running day to day, advancing toward that goal (which should be his strength). Linus didn't mention it in the video, but hopefully this gives Yvonne some more breathing room too.

I've said this move has been due since the Sad Linus Video went up, and it sounds like Linus bided his time until he had an opportunity to nab his #1 pick instead of settling. A smart leader surrounds themselves with people who fill in their weaknesses. There looks to be a lot of mutual trust and respect between Linus and Terren, so hopefully they'll both be able to rely on each other's guidance instead of leaning on each other's supervision (if I'm articulating that right).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I've been through a similar thing. My company has 180 FTE rightnow and it has been a real challenge for me. On the one side I would like to continue doing the things I love todo which has made my company so big but on the other hand I have 180 people who depend on me to keep things running smoothly which takes up alot of my time and energy. Now I'm older I'm starting to notice that I just can't do everything anymore, I'm just too tired. It's alot more then it used to be and I don't have the energy anymore. Although it was a real moral boost for my employees I just can't go down to the production floor and start helping there when we are missing a person.

People who have never hired workers (even just 1 person) do not realise how time consuming, costly, just everything humans can be. I used to think HR departments are stupid but now I can understand why big companies have a complete seperate department. Humans are just so annoying, they never do what you want them todo, they are so unreliable and the constant nagging and childish behaviour! Oh my god, the stories I have of just sitting there and thinking: "really, this is what you had to bother me for! You are a full grown person just figure it out and stop bothering me!".

I decided to go the other way around. I've decided to focus on the managing, take on new tasks and new challenges. For me it was a slow realisation process and just letting go and truting others todo a as good or even beter job. Why am I doing this or this, when I'm paying that person todo that for me.

In your case I can understand. You are the face of your company, you just cant stop producing videos and start focussing on management. I think in the long run this is the best sollution for your company and for us as your fans and viewers.