Metro: Last Light Complete Edition FREE on Steam May 18th

Paul Rudd

Great games. I can recommend anyone liking this type of game and genre to try it out.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed it. Doubt I'll play anytime soon through.

I insist you try giving it at least 20 minutes. It's less a game and more a story and a feel.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

1 minute ago, FIXXX said:

I insist you try giving it at least 20 minutes. It's less a game and more a story and a feel.

Unfortunately I've already been spoiled at this point. I've watched playthroughs of the game story years ago. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

6 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

Unfortunately I've already been spoiled at this point. I've watched playthroughs of the game story years ago. 

I replay GTA every 5'ish years. A few other games too. As soon I realize I don't remember it too well.

It's tens of hours of enjoyment I can relive and it's marvelous.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

8 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

That happened with The Last of Us, I still loved that game. Metro is really good, I recommend trying it again regardless.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Free lunches do exist~!

I edit my posts more often than not

11 hours ago, FIXXX said:

I replay GTA every 5'ish years. A few other games too. As soon I realize I don't remember it too well.

It's tens of hours of enjoyment I can relive and it's marvelous.

10 hours ago, Bismut said:

That happened with The Last of Us, I still loved that game. Metro is really good, I recommend trying it again regardless.

I'll get around to it at some point if I have time and am bored enough.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

3 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

I'll get around to it at some point if I have time and am bored enough.

I have time but with a thousands of games library it's tough to get around to one random game.

So I'm gonna do it anyway and give the game a go even if it's for just 15 minutes. I'll be sure to give some insight on my experience with it in this thread.

There much of a difference between Last Light: Complete, and the Last Light: Redux I'd also gotten free on GoG?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

34 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There much of a difference between Last Light: Complete, and the Last Light: Redux I'd also gotten free on GoG?

A quick Google search brought up this Steam discussion created a couple days ago. After reading through it all this is the best answer...

"Last light complete is the 2013 game version, with all dlcs and the LL's early engine version. Seems to work on older windows versions. Has more achievements than redux.

Redux is based on the new LL engine, integrating all the DLCs that were previously distributed separately. Fewer achievements, some QOL like the watch. Some lighting changes so really action and cutscenes in dark areas are a bit brighter."

I own both versions myself but I'm installing this complete version literally as I'm typing this. I read it has an in-game benchmark so I'm gonna look to balance out performance with visual fidelity by fiddling around with individual graphic settings and use the PCGamingWiki page to see if I can find some QoL improvements as well. Changing FOV stood out immediately after skimming through it.

Will post them here if I find a dramatic change with individual settings.

2 minutes ago, Paul Rudd said:

A quick Google search brought up this Steam discussion created a couple days ago. After reading through it all this is the best answer...

"Last light complete is the 2013 game version, with all dlcs and the LL's early engine version. Seems to work on older windows versions. Has more achievements than redux.

Redux is based on the new LL engine, integrating all the DLCs that were previously distributed separately. Fewer achievements, some QOL like the watch. Some lighting changes so really action and cutscenes in dark areas are a bit brighter."

I own both versions myself but I'm installing this complete version literally as I'm typing this. I read it has an in-game benchmark so I'm gonna look to balance out performance with visual fidelity by fiddling around with graphic settings. Will post them here if I find a dramatic change with individual settings.

I was pretty surprised by how well Redux ran on my laptop with Iris XE graphics though. There are certainly games that run, about as expected, on integrated, and then there are games that really don't have any business running as well as they do.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Well I just put in about an hour and a half and it's a pretty engaging game when you give it just a little bit of time. It plays sort of like a linear Fallout 3 game without being much of an open world(so far). The loot is quite lacking though but there's at least looting bodies and notes as you progress.

Hit detection doesn't feel super satisfying so I'm hoping for it to pick up as enemies vary. Shooting rats for example feels somewhat good but shooting the games first creature enemies didn't exactly feel much more than decent. Maybe this has to do with the guns and their sights and nozzles, I do not know yet.

Fiddling around with the graphic settings, there's definitely major fps killing settings, starting with antialiasing. Luckily I game at 1440p so I have chosen to turn AA completely off and there's not a major hit to visuals in terms of what it does for the frame rate IMO. The subtle sacrifice to visuals is easily worth playing without AA. There's a 0.5x setting that skyrockets your frame rate but I read about why that is and it's because it renders the game at half the resolution(720p) and then it upscales to 1440p. So obviously I've chosen to not play the game that way and am sticking with no AA. Even though it does look good using 0.5x AA IMO. Reminds me of how well upscaling looks on my Xbox One S on my 4K TV, in the games that support upscaling of course.

Tesselation hits performance but in a minor/moderate way. So I choose Very High for it. However, I will be fiddling around with this setting more for sure as the moderate hit to performance and visuals is worth analyzing.

The game doesn't allow you to tweak the rest of the individual graphic settings unfortunately and has just one more setting to change that's basically a preset of all graphic settings. I have chosen High but changing each interval definitely changes performance significantly. The bright side of all this is that since this game looks pretty dated/darkish/faded to begin with, playing the game on Low is actually great because it skyrockets the frame rate(in certain areas) while not making visuals look like crap. You can notice the difference in shadows though but each interval looks pretty bad in terms of shadows anyway so this is another reason the Low setting actually is beneficial. If you can ignore what it does to shadows then I think a lot of people will like using the Low setting, especially if they have 160-240 Hz 1440p monitors. Mine is just 144 Hz at 1440p so that's why I'm sticking to the High setting here. I'm able to hover around 125-145 fps with my 1070 using the High setting.

Motion Blur makes no difference to performance but I play with it on Low regardless(it won't let you turn it off).

As for PhysX, this seems to do nothing to performance or visuals but I could definitely be wrong here as different areas of the game change frame rate no matter what you do to graphic settings in general.

And for those interested, here's a few pics of using the benchmark utility which takes 172 seconds to complete each run. Make sure to notice that the frame rate intervals on each picture graph is different in each picture.

Ultra shows fps hitting around 40 to 60.

Low shows fps hitting around 90 to over 200+.

Ultra with no AA shows fps hitting around 60 to 110. (single fps killing setting in the game and why I turn it OFF)

Ultra(Motion Blur on Low)...

01metrolastlightultra.thumb.png.f6474974e96729c2bf8363ae4a0e7e17.png

Low(Motion Blur on Low)...

01metrolastlightlow.thumb.png.5a1b48b7843b9a1979fef41490d536b4.png

Ultra but no AA(Motion Blur on Low)...

01metrolastlightnoAA.thumb.png.059a84b799bea0341ad04c7bec838a80.png