[Anandtech] Haswell Refresh Review + Benchmarking

Grave

http://anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested/5

Anandtech posted this about 2 hours ago now, just barely caught it after it was released. I've been frequently checking their site for AMD and Intel news on new processors, looks like we got a little bit of a treat.

Overall, it looks like a standard ~10% improvement but there are some surprises. In some benches, it looks like the i7-4790 can compete well with the Extreme Edition 4960X in hyperthreading. The singlethreaded performance of all the processors seems very good, as well. And the biggest surprise, to me anyway, was how well the IGPUs did in gaming. While AMD has the upper hand with HSA and dual graphics, I think Intel is on the right track with improving integrated graphics.

All in all, good read. Nothing major (to me anyway) but I figured I would share. Sadly, no K processors or overclock benchmarks just yet. We'll have to see if there's any major improvement in that department..

Nothing major, just the expected 10% increase

sigh.......

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

sigh.......

I think that despite the 'meh' results, assuming those prices released for the new Haswells last month are correct for retail, they'll at least make it more worthwhile for consumers to buy these. Perhaps not upgrade worthy (although in many cases, it's not really a necessity to upgrade), at least it's something. It's not like AMD where they've released a boatload of new stuff that's barely keeping up with processors from 2-4 years ago.

I'm probably buying a 4690k when it's released. Glad I held off on upgrading.

I think that despite the 'meh' results, assuming those prices released for the new Haswells last month are correct for retail, they'll at least make it more worthwhile for consumers to buy these. Perhaps not upgrade worthy (although in many cases, it's not really a necessity to upgrade), at least it's something. It's not like AMD where they've released a boatload of new stuff that's barely keeping up with processors from 2-4 years ago.

I'm probably buying a 4690k when it's released. Glad I held off on upgrading.

i'm more interested in haswell-E and what that will bring to the table. But hopefully I'll have a stable enough job by then to build a M-ITX rig (god-willing nvidia comes out with a real dual gpu card.

Why are people mentioning 10% increase? The i7 4790 is only 3-6% faster than the 4770k on average. And that is with a 100mhz base speed increase. Hardly impressive. If you don't have a new pc, and you want a haswell based system, this seems to be a bit cheaper, but if the OC potential is just that 100mhz smaller, is there a point? The new TIM might be worth it, but this is just a tiny increase.

Get a haswell refresh OR and old haswell for the z97 chipset, not for the sake of the refresh CPU.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

but if the OC potential is just that 100mhz smaller, is there a point?

The out-of-box clock is higher by 100mhz, but because of the soldered IHS it won't mean the max attainable OC is 100mhz lower.

Still not caring much about these CPUs.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The out-of-box clock is higher by 100mhz, but because of the soldered IHS it won't mean the max attainable OC is 100mhz lower.

Still not caring much about these CPUs.

You don't know that. OC is a lot more than just temp after all. We will have to wait and see until the 4790k gets reviewed. But yeah, they are not really new; just a kind of v2.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Its funny

sigh.......

Its funny how people imagine things...

First of all Haswell Refresh has increased clockrate,and if you know some basic math looking at the charts you could realize theres less than <5% increase in those tests,which can be entirely affected by those extra 100mhz OC.

So before your fanboyism tells you theres any improvement think about that.

Its just as expected lack of any competition has intel to release new motherboards with 0% new cpu imrpovement.The only thing about these cpu's is that they have better TIM and OC better or so? but who cares no one should upgrade from ivy bridge/haswell for this bullshit refresh.

No benefit for production,gaming,multitask,overall performance or anything to be worth mentioning.

Boring intel...

isn't Broadwell coming out end of the year?

That's a DDR4 platform, though, isn't it?

Would really love to see some 4790k/4690k overclocked vs 4770k/4670k overclocked

Shame we have to wait for Devil's Canyon for the release of the new unlocked processors.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yeah so basically I can still keep my 2500k for a tad longer than I would like to

Guru3D's review was terrible compared to this! Thanks (:

Looking at those charts make me want to switch to intel. I have an AMD 8350 at 4.2ghz, if I got a 4790 and new mobo, would I see a significant performance increase over my AMD stuff? It may be time for me to drop AMD.