Community in the forum for IT professionals

barzaka12

After talking with people in the live chat on Floatplane during the WANShow and asking Floatplane staff questions about Floatplane's infra setup. We found out that we would like to share what we would, what tools we are using, and what strange bugs we have found. Is it possible to create such a community where we can share ideas and knowledge and also help new people get their way into this world?

Whilst more activity on that kind of stuff would certainly draw me back to being active on here, I think it's such a small corner of the community it wouldn't see much activity, and I don't think many professional would detour towards Linus Tech Tips as their forum of choice (no offence Linus)

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

I believe that section already exists.

image.png.866f66af232c15ea2de1032943ad5a44.png

None of those really apply to what OP is asking for.

OP is talking more about IT Infrastructure, to which 90% of the content on this forum doesn't apply. This forum is targeted more towards the hobbyist rather than professionals, which makes sense given the community. You couldn't come to this forum to discuss CVEs, virtualisation stacks etc. which is more what OP is aiming towards i think. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

21 hours ago, wANKER said:

Whilst more activity on that kind of stuff would certainly draw me back to being active on here, I think it's such a small corner of the community it wouldn't see much activity, and I don't think many professional would detour towards Linus Tech Tips as their forum of choice (no offence Linus)

None of those really apply to what OP is asking for.

OP is talking more about IT Infrastructure, to which 90% of the content on this forum doesn't apply. This forum is targeted more towards the hobbyist rather than professionals, which makes sense given the community. You couldn't come to this forum to discuss CVEs, virtualisation stacks etc. which is more what OP is aiming towards i think. 

so we are talking more like r/sysadmin ?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 hours ago, Levent said:

so we are talking more like r/sysdadmin ?

Yes, but with a somewhat more structured forum structure and with a more tech-hobbyist community. In the end, it would probably be part home labs, part CVEs, part Infra questions and discussions, part ranting, part general tech discussions and trends in the IT world and a bit of everything else.

Of our subforums, Servers and NAS is the one that is sudoname for enterprise gear. Unless its specifically networking. Also, for general discussion about education, certificates and such, GD works fine.

We have professional IT personel even on moderator team, so I won't comment on whether there could be good to have such named subforum for professional IT crowd or not. Just noting that overall theme of the whole community is geared more to hobbyist space. Of youtubers who have much broad audience, Level1 would be the place with forums for professional users too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah I'd like a place that is for professionals. I do not like that users in some of these threads

On 5/6/2023 at 7:34 AM, Arika S said:

I believe that section already exists.

image.png.866f66af232c15ea2de1032943ad5a44.png

are half children, half hobbyists. We need a place that caters to professionals, not amateurs like the rest of the forums.

4 hours ago, randy123 said:

Yeah I'd like a place that is for professionals. I do not like that users in some of these threads

are half children, half hobbyists. We need a place that caters to professionals, not amateurs like the rest of the forums.

We were all amateurs at one point.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting a place for professionals, but I'd rather focus our efforts on teaching and helping the "amateurs" when and where we can instead of shunning them because they're not the same knowledge and skill level as others.

If all the "professionals" did was shun the "amateurs", nobody would ever learn anything here. You can go back to my earliest posts from 2016 and you can see I had no idea what I was doing, but I was able to learn from the other people I interacted with, gained knowledge, and built a number of skills.

We need more of that, not less.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 hours ago, randy123 said:

If this is how "professionals" behave, then no we don't

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Following is my own opinion and doesn't apply to other moderators nor LMG.

17 hours ago, randy123 said:

This won't ever happen, I hope. This forums is not that kind of place where we would make choices on who can post and discuss and who can't. Any way of distinguishing who has enough knowledge and career to post would be impossible to do (privacy concerns among other things). You have LinkedIn for that.

If you don't like the forums, why are you here? You joined forums created around Youtuber who doesn't have education of what he makes content on. Who has worked on marketing and sales for retailer, so he even isn't the kinda professional you probably are after. If we would use your gate-proposal, the owner of the forum would be too hobbyist to participate.

This kind of people are what I don't like on forums. Thinking just because they have education or experience makes them better than the rest and wanting some glorification for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv