Adieu AGESA - AMD switching to open-source CPU firmware

Summary

During the OCP Regional Summit, AMD announced a plan to deprecate their current AGESA CPU firmware family, citing lack of flexibility and difficulty with scaling as the primary motivations. Replacing is is what AMD is calling "openSIL", a platform-agnostic open-source set of libraries. openSIL is not yet production-ready, and isn't expected to be until around 2026. Priority is being given to server platforms, but the intention is to eventually migrate AMD's entire processor stack.

Quotes

We had a silicon initialization product called AGESA, and the AGESA firmware was written specifically for interfacing with the UEFI firmware, so it had a lot of UEFI-isms in there and we could not scale it to other host firmwares. So when AMD got some projects to do with Chrome OS, we tried to convert AGESA, change the facets there, and try to change AGESA into Intel FSP and then integrate with CoreBoot. That was a huge Herculean effort, and definitely not scalable. So, we sustained that for a few years until we realized that we need to do something about it, because it's very resource intensive, takes a long time to convert AGESA into Intel FSP and then integrate with code.

Today, we are at the POC phase. POR phase for the server is not until 2026. We have proven the openSIL and its feature set [is at] very close parity with AGESA firmware and we've done that with the Genoa platforms, which is epic 4 generation. We do plan to open source the Genoa POC, which is going to be soon released, and same with Gen 5. That is going to be POC as well, and 2026 is when we make it a POR for the gen 6 Epic CPUs.

We do we do plan to intercept all client and server platforms by the 2026 time-frame.

My thoughts

Assuming this pans out as advertised, this could make AMD king of the coreboot community.

Sources

https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-openSIL-Replace-AGESA

18 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Summary

During the OCP Regional Summit, AMD announced a plan to deprecate their current AGESA CPU firmware family, citing lack of flexibility and difficulty with scaling as the primary motivations. Replacing is is what AMD is calling "openSIL", a platform-agnostic open-source set of libraries. openSIL is not yet production-ready, and isn't expected to be until around 2026. Priority is being given to server platforms, but the intention is to eventually migrate AMD's entire processor stack.

Quotes

My thoughts

Assuming this pans out as advertised, this could make AMD king of the coreboot community.

Sources

https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-openSIL-Replace-AGESA

More importantly, it potentially makes it more practical to have a fully open source UEFI, fixing the garbage dump that is current motherboard firmware.

Granted we'd need a vendor to be on board as BIOS images are signed, but we just need one vendor to really disrupt this mess.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

This might mean that we might see competitors create AMD-based CPUs in the future. A rather interesting way to diversify against Intel and ARM.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

More importantly, it potentially makes it more practical to have a fully open source UEFI, fixing the garbage dump that is current motherboard firmware.

Granted we'd need a vendor to be on board as BIOS images are signed, but we just need one vendor to really disrupt this mess.

This doesn't change the fact that the firmware is going to be proprietary. openSIL itself is going to be MIT, so vendors can just use it without a care.

The only possibility would be if those vendors base their firmware out of coreboot, which is gplv2, but I believe that vendors can work around this. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

This might mean that we might see competitors create AMD-based CPUs in the future. A rather interesting way to diversify against Intel and ARM.

I don't see how opening up the CPUs firmware will allow people to clone the CPU, that will remain legally protected and is still far too cost prohibitive for any third-party to do, even ignoring the legal issues.

This is about having more flexibility in developing the motherboards BIOS.  We've had Open Source UEFI for a long time now, AGESA is the closed component that interfaces that to the CPU itself.  So it should open up a lot more flexibility in how motherboards interface with the CPU.  Though it also has its scary side given vendors are managing to still mess it up WITHOUT full control over that part of the BIOS.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, igormp said:

This doesn't change the fact that the firmware is going to be proprietary. openSIL itself is going to be MIT, so vendors can just use it without a care.

The only possibility would be if those vendors base their firmware out of coreboot, which is gplv2, but I believe that vendors can work around this. 

Open Source by definition means open to freely use, change and redistribute.  Its not Open Source if it has a restrictive license.

3 minutes ago, igormp said:

I dont think the differing license would cause anything if coreboot loads the CPU FW as a module......

58 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Open Source by definition means open to freely use, change and redistribute.  Its not Open Source if it has a restrictive license.

Well, insert the whole permissive vs copyleft thing here, but this is not relevant for this topic.

55 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont think the differing license would cause anything if coreboot loads the CPU FW as a module......

Yeah, hence why they could easily work around this. If it were GPLv3 or any other more viral license then there could be issues.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Mmmm not really, it currently only means literally what the name says and nothing more. Rights to actually modify and distribute aren't inherent with something being open source, open to see etc.

I might make something open source so people can see it, analyze it, report bugs, contribute fixes but I may not allow usage of my thing to be incorporated in to someone else's product even if there's is also open source.

Then you also have open source but not free usage vs open source free usage situations, granted honesty system obviously but that is still a thing.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Mmmm not really, it currently only means literally what the name says and nothing more. Rights to actually modify and distribute aren't inherent with something being open source, open to see etc.

I might make something open source so people can see it, analyze it, report bugs, contribute fixes but I may not allow usage of my thing to be incorporated in to someone else's product even if there's is also open source.

Then you also have open source but not free usage vs open source free usage situations, granted honesty system obviously but that is still a thing.

https://opensource.org/osd/

Woah. How would this affect consumer platforms in terms of regular updates though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm struggling to understand what this might or might not allow in future. As far as I understand it, AGESA/openSIL acts as an interface between UEFI and silicon. If it does indeed go open, as opposed to the blob that AGESA is, does that mean there is in theory scope for someone to really break they hardware? I mean, tweak it?

From a mainstream consumer hardware perspective, I presume AMD will still issue openSIL blobs to the mobo vendors to integrate into their BIOS. It'll still be their choice of UEFI front end. In that sense, I don't feel anything changes at all. Do organisations outside AMD have any ability to adjust that openSIL module for AMD CPUs? For what benefit?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, igormp said:

If it were GPLv3 or any other more viral license then there could be issues.

Off the top of my head you only have to make public and freely available what you changed inside the gplv3 code, it doesnt cover "external" modules thats loaded without changing any of said code.

2 hours ago, porina said:

From a mainstream consumer hardware perspective, I presume AMD will still issue openSIL blobs to the mobo vendors to integrate into their BIOS. It'll still be their choice of UEFI front end. In that sense, I don't feel anything changes at all. Do organisations outside AMD have any ability to adjust that openSIL module for AMD CPUs? For what benefit?

For the most part I doubt much will change with the process now, just the technology used being switched so I agree there.

2 hours ago, porina said:

If it does indeed go open, as opposed to the blob that AGESA is, does that mean there is in theory scope for someone to really break they hardware? I mean, tweak it?

Most likely yes, the 3 areas I think that will be utilized the most is high security environments who only what their specific things to work stripping out the rest, hyperscalers to optimize further, probably though not sure XOC (probably useful somehow I guess 🤷‍♂️)

8 hours ago, porina said:

Do organisations outside AMD have any ability to adjust that openSIL module for AMD CPUs? For what benefit?

Hyperscalers that have custom servers/firmware, like Meta and Google, so they can have their own quirks added.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

I'm pretty happy about this. AMD and opensource almost always go well together, like how OpenGL performance was completely busted in their crap closed source Radeon drivers for Windows for over a decade, but the opensource community on Linux fixed it for them ages ago. (I say they go well together, but it could just be that AMD just likes having their crap code fixed for them for free lol)