Off Topic Chit Chat

Let’s hope that this doesn’t end up like PCPP’s Off Topic forum. 

Well you DO realize the first message in this specific topic was about 8 years ago right.
I have a feeling it will be fine. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

If there is loki , doctor strange , spiderman , ms marvel, and scarlet witch to save the universe , what would be the name of their grp 

• 4 weeks later...

the first snow I've had up in Seattle anyone else exited or just me

Wew, in 2024 the forum is still alive 🙂 hi everyone!

My Setups:

• CASE: » CoolerMaster C700M » •  MB:     » ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME »»» LGA 2066 •  CPU:    » Intel i9-9980XE Extreme Edition - 18-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB  GDDR6X •  RAM» Corsair Dominator Platinum - 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » DeepCool Matrexx 4F » •  MB:     » MSi GodLike Gaming X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6950x Extreme Edition - 10-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » MSi GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING  - 8GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » CoolerMaster CMP 320L » •  MB:     » Atermiter X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6900K - 8-Core @ 3.20Ghz •  GPU:   » Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic Edition - 2GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» G.Skill TridentZ - 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz

17 minutes ago, MrPsych0 said:

Wew, in 2024 the forum is still alive 🙂 hi everyone!

Hell yeah, and Hello.
Up for another 4?!! 😛

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Hell yeah, and Hello.
Up for another 4?!! 😛

let's rock and roll 😄 hey there!

My Setups:

• CASE: » CoolerMaster C700M » •  MB:     » ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME »»» LGA 2066 •  CPU:    » Intel i9-9980XE Extreme Edition - 18-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB  GDDR6X •  RAM» Corsair Dominator Platinum - 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » DeepCool Matrexx 4F » •  MB:     » MSi GodLike Gaming X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6950x Extreme Edition - 10-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » MSi GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING  - 8GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » CoolerMaster CMP 320L » •  MB:     » Atermiter X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6900K - 8-Core @ 3.20Ghz •  GPU:   » Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic Edition - 2GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» G.Skill TridentZ - 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz

I made a thread about slowing down music without the robotic or choppy timestretching.  VLC in advanced settings and Audacity can do this and I highly recommend it.  Join the thread and share what music you play slowed down,

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, EllieCat said:

One word story. I start:

Once

10/10 better than any book that's come out this year

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

10/10 better than any book that's come out this year

give it the new york times bestseller award too, because any book seems to be a new york times bestseller anyways

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

1 minute ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

give it the new york times bestseller award too, because any book seems to be a new york times bestseller anyways

This is the best New York Times bestseller in my opinion 

IMG_3535.webp

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

4 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

This is the best New York Times bestseller in my opinion 

IMG_3535.webp

DAMN I remember seeing this book somewhere at my house as a kid and just screwing around with the buttons

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

DAMN I remember seeing this book somewhere at my house as a kid and just screwing around with the buttons

see it’s a book that influenced us even as children 

if that doesn’t scream best book of all time I don’t know what does

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

see it’s a book that influenced us even as children 

if that doesn’t scream best book of all time I don’t know what does

🤣 I suppose you're right 

it's pretty applicable to everyone too 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:18 PM, MrPsych0 said:

let's rock and roll

Try slowing the roll to really rock out!  Play your favorite rock n roll at a reduced speed without trying to match pitch.  This is called timestreching, and can have a very robotic effect.  VLC can allow this, but you need to disable a default setting in advanced.  Unchecking the time stretching option will play a song slower like a tape or big 12 inch record.  This allows a very smooth playback and creates a much different listening experience.  It may seem trivial or not a big deal, but give it a go and you'll be amazed how nice of a change it can be.

Bob Seger with a 10-15% lower speed is a good place to start, but anything can work.  Don Felder's "Heavy Metal" can allow the song a longer experience, heavier bass, and the guitars high pitch will still shine.  I really believe people are missing a great experience if you haven't tried this.

Audacity can do this by just sliding the playback slider, and finding the tempo that suits you best at that time.  Keep the mouse button held or use the arrow keys.  I've made a thread about it, it's on page 2 off-topic.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:46 AM, E-waste said:

Try slowing the roll to really rock out!  Play your favorite rock n roll at a reduced speed without trying to match pitch.  This is called timestreching, and can have a very robotic effect.  VLC can allow this, but you need to disable a default setting in advanced.  Unchecking the time stretching option will play a song slower like a tape or big 12 inch record.  This allows a very smooth playback and creates a much different listening experience.  It may seem trivial or not a big deal, but give it a go and you'll be amazed how nice of a change it can be.

Bob Seger with a 10-15% lower speed is a good place to start, but anything can work.  Don Felder's "Heavy Metal" can allow the song a longer experience, heavier bass, and the guitars high pitch will still shine.  I really believe people are missing a great experience if you haven't tried this.

Audacity can do this by just sliding the playback slider, and finding the tempo that suits you best at that time.  Keep the mouse button held or use the arrow keys.  I've made a thread about it, it's on page 2 off-topic.

These where the advertisements, now back to the show...

4 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

These where the advertisements

What have you been smoking... Or not smoking?  I'm not advertising anything more than an idea, another perspective of musical entertainment.

Software suggestions

22 hours ago, E-waste said:

What have you been smoking... Or not smoking?  I'm not advertising anything more than an idea, another perspective of musical entertainment.

'Twas but a joke, sorry for not making that more clear.
And what does it matter for what particulate one inhales?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, antonymagnus said:

Hey dude isn't that the guide book for new political peoples? hahahahha

Where do you think they get the ideas for all those ads?

Oh no... The forum went all Comic Sans again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Oh no... The forum went all Comic Sans again.

I did a refresh and it was the most entertaining refresh of my life

I'm usually as lost as you are

• 3 weeks later...

There coming for us

• 2 weeks later...

I finally created my account just to ask this. Was reading an article on Ars Technica about an HIV outbreak that started because of a process called "Vampire Facials". It mentions "microneedling" which I remember Linus mentioning when he shaved his beard. Does anyone know if that is the cosmetic procedure he got done? 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/04/dirty-vampire-facials-behind-first-hiv-outbreak-linked-to-spa-treatments/