Off Topic Chit Chat

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You didnt see it? /summon @Stefan1024

no... what, is there some big secret project going on I don't know about? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Great job guys! That must have been a rather stressful 24 hours :P

Plan on making a passive PC with a shitload of CPU heatsinks

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Plan on making a passive PC with a shitload of CPU heatsinks

But how could you possibly use that many?  Where would they be attached?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, the virus of passive cooling is taking over the forum ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But how could you possibly use that many?  Where would they be attached?

Here you are: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/541339-potential-passively-cooled-400w-tdp-system-under-100/

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

So, all those heatsinks will be combined into one massive heatsink for the entire machine?  That should be an interesting challenge... 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

So, all those heatsinks will be combined into one massive heatsink for the entire machine?  That should be an interesting challenge... 

Yes it is. It's the same approach as I do (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/539814-the-number-cruncher-triple-xeon-passive-mineral-oil-cooling/) but way more cost effective. (For yoshi at least, even used CPU heatsinks are super expensive here in Switzerland).

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes it is. It's the same approach as I do (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/539814-the-number-cruncher-triple-xeon-passive-mineral-oil-cooling/) but way more cost effective. (For yoshi at least, even used CPU heatsinks are super expensive here in Switzerland).

Well that looks like one solid custom made piece, like the cube one you did.  (They are one piece aren't they?)  I'm curious to see how all these random scrap heatsinks get combined into one.  Let's just say there's a reason we need paste between the CPU and the cooler... I would think the same will go for trying to fuse all of the heatsinks.

Well that looks like one solid custom made piece, like the cube one you did.  (They are one piece aren't they?)  I'm curious to see how all these random scrap heatsinks get combined into one.  Let's just say there's a reason we need paste between the CPU and the cooler... I would think the same will go for trying to fuse all of the heatsinks.

Yes the transport of the heat is the main chalange of projects like this. Once you managed to spread the power over a wide area, getting rid of it is relatively easy.

Is there a place to request videos? i've had some random ideas that have come to mind that I thought might be intresting to LTT.

The main one was sata to Micro sd card raid adapters, it's been a intresting thing i've been playing around with since its upgradable and the price per Gb is about equal to or lower than standard ssd's for 128Gb sdcards. just seemed like a intresting idea(maybe not convenient, but I've seen LTT do weirder things). 

51 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

Is there a place to request videos? i've had some random ideas that have come to mind that I thought might be intresting to LTT.

The main one was sata to Micro sd card raid adapters, it's been a intresting thing i've been playing around with since its upgradable and the price per Gb is about equal to or lower than standard ssd's for 128Gb sdcards. just seemed like a intresting idea(maybe not convenient, but I've seen LTT do weirder things). 

They seem to popup from time to time.  I think the standard procedure is to collect together many ideas from many users, then send it all to nicklmg and he will pass it along.

As for that idea, I did see a while ago a pcie (I think... maybe it was sata) "RAID card" that would allow you to insert and put like 4 micro SD cards in RAID 0 and use it like an SSD.  Totally impractical because at the time the cost of those plus the card was more than an equivalent SSD, and of course that setup would be incredibly unreliable and probably have a pretty bad lifespan, but you're right, it would be fun to see them run some tests with something like that :D

Is this what american TV has become?  I have no idea how I got into watching this.  I just found it hilariously stupid.  

The guy with the cheese wheels acting is diabolical!

38 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They seem to popup from time to time.  I think the standard procedure is to collect together many ideas from many users, then send it all to nicklmg and he will pass it along.

As for that idea, I did see a while ago a pcie (I think... maybe it was sata) "RAID card" that would allow you to insert and put like 4 micro SD cards in RAID 0 and use it like an SSD.  Totally impractical because at the time the cost of those plus the card was more than an equivalent SSD, and of course that setup would be incredibly unreliable and probably have a pretty bad lifespan, but you're right, it would be fun to see them run some tests with something like that :D

yeah i agree with the possible the fact they may be unreliable(mainly coz of the fact it's in raid0), but i just liked the idea of a a upgradeable sdd that only takes up a single sata port, also they have 10 card versions now http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Memory-Card-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01AHRB23E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454707489&sr=8-4&keywords=sata+micro+sd and 128GB cards are selling for 35$ US so the price is right up there with best bang for your buck SSD at 27cents a Gb, checked via pcpartpicker

also if anyone cares heres the 10 micro sd to sata card on Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Memory-Card-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01AHRB23E/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454702778&sr=1-10&keywords=micro+sd+to+sata

3 minutes ago, hoodyracoon said:

yeah i agree with the possible the fact they may be unreliable(mainly coz of the fact it's in raid0), but i just liked the idea of a a upgradeable sdd that only takes up a single sata port, also they have 10 card versions now http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Memory-Card-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01AHRB23E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454707489&sr=8-4&keywords=sata+micro+sd and 128GB cards are selling for 35$ US so the price is right up there with best bang for your buck SSD at 27cents a Gb, checked via pcpartpicker

Seems like an incredibly terrible idea, but equally cool! :D

Seems like an incredibly terrible idea, but equally cool! :D

yeah i wouldn't run anything critical on it, but i was mainly intrested in how it would perform, since sdcard speed are all over the place, some are around 10MB per second for UHS 1 cert and some are around 60MB you never know what you'll get. the plus side is if you get sandisk ultras or extremes there warranty is for life so or SSD dieing on you and having to fork out a new one would never be a issue

I was bored so I decided to make a 

"hotline clock"

u used to clock me on my front bussssssss
late night when you neeed myyy cooores

clock me on my front buussss 

and overvolt my cooore volllll taage

I know when that core temp blings !
that can only mean one thing

I know when that core temp blings !
that can only mean one thing

ever since the summer you..
settled back  my oc'd core clock

ever since the hot temps you
've dropped the race and I feel left off

you used to stress me now youv got me left out

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Do aliens fart?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, Kierax said:

Do aliens fart?

I would imagine they have a similar systems to humans; though instead, to release gas they shoot it out of their finger tips.  

Any fitness/health freaks in here?

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Does freakishly bad count?

Meaning you're the opposite of a health/fitness freak? 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

my health and fitness are freakishly poor

Then you're no use to me. Begone child and stop wastin' my time!

/s

What's your favourite pizza?

3 minutes ago, LoneRangerS said:

Then you're no use to me. Begone child and stop wastin' my time!

/s

What's your favourite pizza?

The whole nine yards from http://www.lamppostpizzareno.com/