Seriously back up your important data. Many people everyday lose their data for good. Reporting's of hacking at a sky high.

Seriously back up your important data. Many people everyday lose their data for good. People are losing data, drives busting, hackers robbing data...

Hacking is a serious problem and the thing is any data can be breached including military systems. 

If you backup your photo's, work, etc you can relax knowing you have it backed up, many people have not backed up and say yes I need to do that, but then bam! bam! bam! out of the blue two drives you're using fail and die, losing all your data. If you have multiple devices you can then make backups. If one device fails you still got your backup. 

Ideally though you are better off having an offline backup, because it simply cannot be hacked or fail. If you just have online backups that is okay but not ideal because it can be targeted by hackers and corrupted or the drive can fail, components fail all the time. 

I would be happy If someone read this and thought ohhh yes! I must backitup!!! At least it would have helped someone. 

It's truly awful for anyone if you lose a lifetime of photo's, what you cannot ever get back. 

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

3-2-1...three backups, two onsite and one offsite. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yes very good Commander. You are always prepared. 🙂

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

5 minutes ago, Trinity-W said:

Yes very good Commander. You are always prepared. 🙂

Although I don't have 1 offsite, but I get the logic. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Although I don't have 1 offsite, but I get the logic. 

Yes good. Data can be very precious or even worth $1000's. The amount of times I heard people who have been hacked and their photo's have been all corrupted. Backups don't take that long either, also it can be very cheap to back up data, of course depending on what size backups you need.

-= Moved to Storage Devices =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Trinity-W said:

Ideally though you are better off having an offline backup, because it simply cannot be hacked or fail. If you just have online backups that is okay but not ideal because it can be targeted by hackers and corrupted or the drive can fail, components fail all the time.

Offline backups can and do fail. Drives can go bad, tape can be rendered inoperable. Regularly check your offline backups. Don't assume that it works just because it is offline.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Offline backups can and do fail. Drives can go bad, tape can be rendered inoperable. Regularly check your offline backups. Don't assume that it works just because it is offline.

Or your name is Linus and you drop your offline backup, and its gone... 😛

I have no signature

14 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Offsite in general, or offsite & offline?

Because "offsite" only won't necessarily protect against hacking that OP warns about if someones computer has credentials/access to the offsite backup.

One offsite backup is the toughest for me, and I can imagine many other people...

• I could get BackBlaze, but backups would take a long time with my internet connection of only 20 mbps upload, aside from despising paying for a monthly service when I have a backup drive I could use.
  • I can store an offline backup drive at someone else's house, but it would be a pain even monthly to connect it to my system, run the backup again, and get it back to them.
  • I could store the backup drive in my backyard shed, but I would be concerned about the high humidity & high heat in summer and below freezing cold in winter. At least I wouldnt have to bother anyone to store my drive. If someone sold a drive sized small fire safe that also protected against extreme cold & hot temps, I'd likely buy it.

So the closest thing I have to "offsite" is putting an offline backup drive in a fire safe at home.

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Yes indeed, backup backups. Any data can be lost anytime.

1 hour ago, NobleGamer said:

Because "offsite" only won't necessarily protect against hacking that OP warns about if someones computer has credentials/access to the offsite backup.

One offsite backup is the toughest for me, and I can imagine many other people...

• I could get BackBlaze, but backups would take a long time with my internet connection of only 20 mbps upload, aside from despising paying for a monthly service when I have a backup drive I could use.
  • I can store an offline backup drive at someone else's house, but it would be a pain even monthly to connect it to my system, run the backup again, and get it back to them.
  • I could store the backup drive in my backyard shed, but I would be concerned about the high humidity & high heat in summer and below freezing cold in winter. At least I wouldnt have to bother anyone to store my drive. If someone sold a drive sized small fire safe that also protected against extreme cold & hot temps, I'd likely buy it.

So the closest thing I have to "offsite" is putting an offline backup drive in a fire safe at home.

Now that is a very good idea. 

7 hours ago, Helly said:

Or your name is Linus and you drop your offline backup, and its gone... 😛

Haha yes we get it. 😄

5 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

I could get BackBlaze, but backups would take a long time with my internet connection of only 20 mbps upload

I use backblaze B2 to backup truenas, and my upload is only 25mbps. The initial backup took a few weeks, but now I just run incremental backups twice a week at 2am, and they rarely take longer then 10-20 minutes… not like I’m dumping THAT much important data to my NAS that requires cloud backup. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

Offsite and offline such as a monthly backup stored not at the same physical location as the two that are located on site. This is to reduce the chance of losing all data that could be involved in theft/water damage/fire damage/natural disaster. 

2nd bullet point is similar in ideology to what you would want it to be. This could also be a storage unit that you may rent. Again, the basic premise is having that one backup not in the same position as the two backups. 

55 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Offsite and offline such as a monthly backup stored not at the same physical location as the two that are located on site. This is to reduce the chance of losing all data that could be involved in theft/water damage/fire damage/natural disaster. 

2nd bullet point is similar in ideology to what you would want it to be. This could also be a storage unit that you may rent. Again, the basic premise is having that one backup not in the same position as the two backups. 

Yes well said. The more seperate backups, the less likely to lose your data.