What is your experience with the crowd at LTT Expo?

e22big

I am interested to join the Expo and meet some more fellow tech enthusiasts and LTT fan. The folks here at this forum had been awesome. 

Then, I stumbled upon the rotting sh*t show that is the LTT subreddit... if that's the vibe of LTT fan in general, I kinda don't want to be in the same room with them any more. So before I've making a serious consideration (probably not going to be this year Expo regardless though), I just want to ask around from the people who experienced the event, how the crowd there's like? Were they super aggressive or anything?

Being a total asshole is something that is a lot easier to do on the internet when everyone is behind user names and and a bajillion miles from each other.  It's a lot harder to do in an in person event where if you push hard enough the other party can simply punch you square in the face.  Okay, realistically, if you're an asshole other people silly simply not socialize with you and you'll find yourself miserable in a corner by yourself thinking that everyone else is the asshole but you.  ...But there's still a non-zero chance of that punch in the face.

Don't imagine that internet behaviour represents how people will behave in real life.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I can't imagine the people who hate LTT enough to sit in the subreddit and complain are the same people willing to pay for tickets to go to their expo. I think it would only be the fans dedicated enough to sit in the FloatPlane comments and the forum who would go, which from my experience here has been some of the best communities I have seen.

Have you tried restarting it?

I never thought THIS forum was a shit show. It has a decent feel of community and from what I've seen people are mostly civil.
There are a few "experts" that think they know more than they do, but for the most part it's not too terrible (I also probably occasionally fall into that camp). 

Reddit is its own can of worms though. Too much of the moderation team is from San Francisco and the drive for engagement from the site creates circle jerks... also jerks. 

LTX 2019 seemed civil overall. My girlfriend joked that all the internet/weeb stereotypes were present (I was mildly surprised) and I definitely felt more like an alpha-nerd than usual... haha. I was "normal." (also let it be clear that Linus is clearly the alphanerd; he made his probably borderline unhealthy nerd obsession into a viable business and even got his SO to go along for the ride) Just be aware that if most of your experience with nerds comes from interacting with engineering types who went to "good schools" you'll run into a bit of that, but also a bit more of the unwashed masses/gamer types. 

I had positive experiences with everyone I interacted with for more than a moment (and neutral to good with everyone else) and my biggest regret (other than not coming in with more sleep) was not getting the contact info of a few people. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

9 hours ago, cmndr said:

I never thought THIS forum was a shit show. It has a decent feel of community and from what I've seen people are mostly civil.
There are a few "experts" that think they know more than they do, but for the most part it's not too terrible (I also probably occasionally fall into that camp). 

Reddit is its own can of worms though. Too much of the moderation team is from San Francisco and the drive for engagement from the site creates circle jerks... also jerks. 

LTX 2019 seemed civil overall. My girlfriend joked that all the internet/weeb stereotypes were present (I was mildly surprised) and I definitely felt more like an alpha-nerd than usual... haha. I was "normal." (also let it be clear that Linus is clearly the alphanerd; he made his probably borderline unhealthy nerd obsession into a viable business and even got his SO to go along for the ride) Just be aware that if most of your experience with nerds comes from interacting with engineering types who went to "good schools" you'll run into a bit of that, but also a bit more of the unwashed masses/gamer types. 

I had positive experiences with everyone I interacted with for more than a moment (and neutral to good with everyone else) and my biggest regret (other than not coming in with more sleep) was not getting the contact info of a few people. 

Well, I did say that this forum is awsome. I actually have quite a bit of grief with some aspect of LTT but I've never feel toxic about even voicing them here - LTT reddit on the other hands is quite literally full of sh*t, a full on toxic gamer sub is actually more welcoming than the folk over there. 

If the Expo is more like the people here than over there, then guess I am sold (well, sold after I can find the budget and time to travel across the world just to atten a fan event that is)

Reddit in general is filled with toxicity. You shouldn't take much of anything away from it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 4/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, dizmo said:

Reddit in general is filled with toxicity. You shouldn't take much of anything away from it. 

Except to stay far, far away.

This forum is the closest thing to social media that I use, and it's largely for reasons stated up above. It's a great community of people 🙂

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 4/24/2023 at 12:57 AM, dizmo said:

Here my hot take - reddit is actually pretty nice for me, most of the time.

I used to write a lot on Quora, it was nice back in the day but reddit looks like a paradise compared to the dumpster fire that they are right now. Twitter and Facebook are also just as bad, reddit on the other hand, is surprisingly civil in most of their subs. Just not the r/LTT - for some reason. You wouldn't believe the LTT Forum is actually this nice if all of your LTT community experience is from reddit.

I went with my son to LTX 2018 and 2019.  The "crowd" was a very respectful group of like minded individuals.  It was a safe/fun event and it appeared that a great time was had by all.  Even when waiting for long periods of time to participate in some activities people were positive.  Don't let the internet trolls deter you from attending, it was an inclusive welcoming environment.

• 4 weeks later...

I volunteered at ltx2019 and it had a great vibe. I'd def say the vast majority are more like those here on the forum, not reddit lol. Never had an issue with anybody and it was always fun chatting with people. I'll be volunteering this year as well and am very much looking forward to it.