[Mini News] Latest Steam Hardware Survey update shows absolute Nvidia dominance, RTX 3060 reigns!

With over 82% GPU market share, Nvidia has squeezed everyone else in the margins and now 6 out of Top 10 GPUs in the chart are RTX models with RTX 3060 taking a sizable 10%+ of the market, while RDNA3 SKUs doesn't even dent the statistical error.

image.png.2b13e555d922d3663899d6ec23559a70.png

Source:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

3060 alone more users than all AMD dGPU! I'll have to sit down later and poke at the numbers in more detail.

The big jump in Chinese is interesting. The question is what happened? Is Steam suddenly doing better there? GPUs are still trending upwards, so bot or not, they're not potato PCs.

I've long asked, are AMD even trying? What would it take for them to increase dGPU volume? I don't think they want the fire sale route, so that means they're unlikely to make much progress unless they manage a halo product.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I've long asked, are AMD even trying? What would it take for them to increase dGPU volume? I don't think they want the fire sale route, so that means they're unlikely to make much progress unless they manage a halo product.

As long as AMD is (too) comfortable with the revenues from the console market, Nvidia will reign the PC world and manipulate it with odd VRAM size SKUs, while reaping meaty margins.

34 minutes ago, strajk- said:

I have a 7900xtx, last time I participated in those surveys I had a 8600GTS

when was the last time you participated?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

This survey has me very confused about a lot of things and I cant help but think this is a REALLY massive jump for a single month change. Surely there is something that makes sense of all this that I'm missing that isnt just "PC gaming got popular in china". 12% drop in English language preference? 25% RISE in Chinese language preference? Did everyone start installing Steam and taking the survey?

1 hour ago, Haaselh0ff said:

This survey has me very confused about a lot of things and I cant help but think this is a REALLY massive jump for a single month change. Surely there is something that makes sense of all this that I'm missing that isnt just "PC gaming got popular in china". 12% drop in English language preference? 25% RISE in Chinese language preference? Did everyone start installing Steam and taking the survey?

Let's assume that "something" happened and that there is a significant increase in Chinese users. The reduction in English users are a side effect of the same cause, not an actual reduction.

Rounding the numbers to try and make the maths easier, we saw a change of 27% to 52% for Chinese. Say last month there were 100 users, 27 of which were Chinese, 73 "others". If only new Chinese joined, how many would be needed to make 52% of the new total? Again assuming the others didn't change, 73=48%, then 100%=152. You'd need +52 Chinese to make 79.

To check this assumption: 23/100 of last month's were English. Now it would be 23/152 = 15% if above is only change. This is quite a bit lower than the reported 23% so the above assumption the user growth only happened in China is wrong. That's ok. It is likely there was some natural share change in other languages as well and I'm not going through all of them to try figuring that out. Maybe there's general growth, but just most regions were far smaller than China.

That still leaves two possibilities. Something happened in China to report many more numbers there, or conversely something happened outside China to reduce the share generally.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Maybe, people got their hands off a lot of mining GPUs in China for dirt cheap... So now you have not only the gaming coffees army of computers but now home computers.

Who knows. Also, isn't the Steam hardware survey only applying to a group of people it picks and not 100% of the use base that allows it?

But yes, AMD is very comfortable where they are at with their GPU sale. They had the opportunity with the 6000, and 7000 series to be really competitive and take Nvidia some serious market share, but no (I am talking about MSRP) They play the same game as Nvidia, with little $/fps difference, making it a hard sale to those who are used to Nvidia.

5 hours ago, strajk- said:

I have a 7900xtx, last time I participated in those surveys I had a 8600GTS

Wait, are these literally surveys? I'm obviously ignorant, but despite the "survey" in the name, I always assumed it was just through some sort of automatic detection.

16 hours ago, filpo said:

when was the last time you participated?

Only had that GPU for 2-3 years after release, so probably 2009 or 2010.

10 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

Wait, are these literally surveys? I'm obviously ignorant, but despite the "survey" in the name, I always assumed it was just through some sort of automatic detection.

You get a popup to collect and submit the data, if you just close it, it shouldn't submit it unless you said so, at some point I stopped getting the popup completely, has been so long ago that I don't know if I managed to opt-out of it somehow despite the fact that I don't think you can do that.