"I pay, therefore I am" - Twitter paywalls features to "address bots"

Would you buy a subscription to vote in polls?   

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a subscription to vote in polls?

• Yes!
    • [this option is not available with your current subscription status]

On 3/31/2023 at 10:55 PM, RedRound2 said:

You know for all the weird moves and tantrums the guy causes he really sounds genuine in what he believes in. Last night (or I guess morning in US time) he hosted a Twitter spaces discussing open sourcing the algorithm, and he was answering questions from the audience. And you know what, he sounds really genuine - even tho I have absolutely no idea why he isn't able to see the obvious issues with his methods

Oh, I don't doubt he believes something, just what he believes does not align with reality most of the time.

You will find that pattern exists when different wealth or age groups are put in the same room. All the time.

Few people will accept reality as-it-is. There is always some kind of reality filter going on, be that the person's friends, employees, family, gaming group, "Card carrying" political affiliation, or whatever else.

Like something I've observed on this forum are a few posters making political statements by talking about people who are basically political clowns as though they should be taken seriously. You undermine your own argument when you do this. Elon lost all credibility way back with the "Thailand cave rescue" story, so there is nothing Elon can say that will restore that credibility as long as he continues to dig himself a deeper hole. When you shoot your mouth off, right or wrong, you look like a fool, and Elon has done that enough times on Twitter, even before buying it, and he keeps doing it. He hasn't learned, and he is not going to learn.

And that's what happens every time we have an argument about Elon "being human" rather than "being born into wealth, and has no concept of how people live who make 5-digit salaries, let alone minimum wagers." You can see that with the price he wanted for Twitter Blue the first time. $20/mo? That is Netflix levels of money, and I'm certainly not getting 13-episodes of 45 minute shows out of twitter every month.

What price would I pay for blue? I wouldn't pay for this version of blue at any price, but you could probably convince me to pay $2/mo for it it if all the ads were removed, or $5.00/mo for it if I could post/watch 15 minute 4K videos to/from it. I jest, but that is one of the beefs I have with Tiktok and Youtube's "short form video" formats. They suck. They are time wasters. You can't create an informative or educational video in 2 minutes, because that's not even what Tiktok is for. Tiktok is all people being stupid, and the occasional cat video.

Text? IS NOT worth paying for at ANY price. Ads have destroyed "text" as a medium. News sites, completely useless. You're not going to read a newspaper site anymore because you'll be assaulted by a pile of ads. Video ads. 

Twitter is a text medium. When ads are images or videos, it destroys the value of the TEXT on the site. When every 2nd post is a video or image without a caption, it destroys the medium for people who only wanted a text site.

There are only two things I think Twitter "may still recover, if it implements it" and that is it's own payment platform THAT ALLOWS payments/tips to/from NSFW accounts (if it doesn't allow NSFW payments, it's dead on arrival, you can get that from anyone else, and Patreon already has that market.) And a VOD/Stream system that can complete directly with Youtube shorts and Tiktok.

Right now, Twitter is how people discover content OUTSIDE of twitter. Elon breaking this trust so that only content posted TO and HOSTED BY twitter is discoverable means that there is presently NO possible way to discover content on the internet.

Google? Broken. It's amazing how many times I can search for something, and get nothing but garbage.

Twitter was how content was being discovered organically. Not Youtube's own algorithm. Not Twitch, not Tiktok. And now Elon has destroyed that.

18 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Wonder where does that put China on the ranking who probably does both

No idea, I don't make quick judgments, Suffice to say if I were told I had to move to either china or the US I don't  think I would have to think about it long. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/2/2023 at 12:54 PM, mr moose said:

No idea, I don't make quick judgments, Suffice to say if I were told I had to move to either china or the US I don't  think I would have to think about it long. 

Since one of these countries sees Taiwan as being part of their country would that mean you would be able to move to Taiwan? Please don't turn this into politics but it could be a technicality that changes your answer. 😉

On 3/28/2023 at 6:22 AM, mr moose said:

Meh, I can't think of a single reason anyone would want to rely on a twitter poll for anything other than maybe proving an opinion is more popular than another opinion when we ignore facts.

a lot of streamers i watch use it for stuff like deciding the next game they play. ofc they can always post a strawpoll or something so its not the end of the world but its still dumb. 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:55 AM, RedRound2 said:

You know for all the weird moves and tantrums the guy causes he really sounds genuine in what he believes in. Last night (or I guess morning in US time) he hosted a Twitter spaces discussing open sourcing the algorithm, and he was answering questions from the audience. And you know what, he sounds really genuine - even tho I have absolutely no idea why he isn't able to see the obvious issues with his methods

idk he doesnt seem like a genuine person to me ever since the thai soccer team thing way back then where he threw a big tantrum when his "submarine" wasnt being used and tried to pit people on the rescue team against each other. and after i watched a documentary on that I agree with the divers that theres no way it would fit around the bend. 

51 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk he doesnt seem like a genuine person to me ever since the thai soccer team thing way back then where he threw a big tantrum when his "submarine" wasnt being used and tried to pit people on the rescue team against each other. and after i watched a documentary on that I agree with the divers that theres no way it would fit around the bend. 

all to inflate his image, other stuff around him is cool. but he is never addressing serious issues.

14 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Since one of these countries sees Taiwan as being part of their country would that mean you would be able to move to Taiwan? Please don't turn this into politics but it could be a technicality that changes your answer. 😉

Talks about politics, then asks not turn this into politics.    My answer has not changed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.