"I pay, therefore I am" - Twitter paywalls features to "address bots"

Would you buy a subscription to vote in polls?   

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a subscription to vote in polls?

• Yes!
    • [this option is not available with your current subscription status]

Summary

Twitter's CEO announced on March 27th that only verified accounts AKA Twitter Blue subscribers will be able to vote in polls. To be shown in the "For You" recommendations will also require a verified account. All these changes are allegedly "to address advanced AI bot swarms" and will take effect on April 15th.

Quotes

image.png.969d20aca1ccb145783edc52a608efa0.png

This might not sound like a big deal, but in order to be a verified user on the platform, you need to be subscribed to Twitter Blue, which at minimum costs $8 per month —more if you're subscribed through Apple's App Store. In addition, the 'For You' tab is great for discovery, as it uses an algorithm to populate the feed with Twitter users that you don't follow and shows you tweets that the platform thinks that you might find interesting or relevant.

My thoughts

How do other platforms manage to fight bots? Is a captcha no longer a viable option? Looking popular features behind a paywall will not make Twitter more attractive or profitable. This could just accelerate the demise of Twitter.

Edit:

Since a blue checkmark shows that you are verified and new users have to wait 90 days to receive a blue checkmark, how is this going to work? Are you now automatically verified if you have Twitter Blue and the impersonation spam is back on the menu?

image.png.22afb0c5532eda1b7496628a4b9604e7.png

Sources

https://www.xda-developers.com/twitter-verified-users-polls-for-you/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/only-verified-accounts-can-vote-twitter-polls-april-15-says-musk-2023-03-28/

2 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Summary

Twitter's CEO announced on March 27th that only verified accounts AKA Twitter Blue subscribers will be able to vote in polls. To be shown in the "For You" recommendations will also require a verified account. All these changes are allegedly "to address advanced AI bot swarms" and will take effect on April 15th.

Quotes

image.png.969d20aca1ccb145783edc52a608efa0.png

My thoughts

How do other platforms manage to fight bots? Is a captcha no longer a viable option? Looking popular features behind a paywall will not make Twitter more attractive or profitable. This could just accelerate the demise of Twitter.

Sources

https://www.xda-developers.com/twitter-verified-users-polls-for-you/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/only-verified-accounts-can-vote-twitter-polls-april-15-says-musk-2023-03-28/

saw this today. It's bullshit, its so obviously for the money. Even the for you page will be removed unless you have the blue tick, what the hell. I used to like Elon and think he was smart, I was wrong. Next thing you will need to pay to get a twitter account.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Also what bots are we trying to kill out? What do the bots do that they can't be here. Why is he being so vague, this screams I WANT MONEY to me.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Slowly changing Twitter into the 'platform for the privileged (& rich bots)'.

And somehow this fits into his idea of addressing inequality, smh. 

If he really wanted to tackle bot problem, you can ask users to provide some form of KYC - like a phone number or government ID. I know not everyone will be a fan of this move, but this would actually go about solving the problem equally for everyone instead of segregating the crowd based on who has disposable income to spend on such a unnecessary first world luxury status of Twitter Blue

6 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

saw this today. It's bullshit, its so obviously for the money. Even the for you page will be removed unless you have the blue tick, what the hell. I used to like Elon and think he was smart, I was wrong. Next thing you will need to pay to get a twitter account.

Ofcourse its for money.

He bought it for 40 billion, and yesterday (or the day before) he said Twitter was worth only 20 billion

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Hah bots, sure. Also lol paying for social media site and Twitter out of one...uuuuu..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Summary

Twitter's CEO announced on March 27th that only verified accounts AKA Twitter Blue subscribers will be able to vote in polls. To be shown in the "For You" recommendations will also require

plot twist, he just wants to make twitter fall just like the rest of us, but wans some quick cash before he ruins it lol

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

The poster of the poll should be able to choose if the poll is open to all users or only available to those with Twitter Blue.

This change might be fine for somebody like Musk with a huge following that gets millions of responses to a poll but it ignores all the people with only a small following who might only get a dozen or so responses to a poll, many of which probably aren't coming from Twitter Blue members. By slashing the number of users who can participate in polls this will effectively kill [posting] polls for everyone but those who have substantial reach and influence on the platform.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The poster of the poll should be able to choose if the poll is open to all users or only available to those with Twitter Blue.

"Free" users (we would have simply called them users a few month ago) could solve a capture to vote, if "bots" are an actual problem. This would be an annoyance factor to "incentivise" the subscription.

Depending on how it works I think this would be a setting you can turn off, as now it would be that you do not see post of people without blue-check.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

58 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Even the for you page will be removed unless you have the blue tick

I think most if not all Twitter users I know would actually call this a good thing. Does anyone actually like the "for you" feed? Let's run a poll on it!

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

By slashing the number of users who can participate in polls this will effectively kill [posting] polls for everyone but those who have substantial reach and influence on the platform.

This was my thought also. I'm so insignificant even the bots don't show up 😄 

7 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

"Free" users (we would have simply called them users a few month ago)

Elon needs to play p2w games. Whales need f2p players to exist otherwise they wont have anyone to be superior to and stop paying.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I think most if not all Twitter users I know would actually call this a good thing. Does anyone actually like the "for you" feed? Let's run a poll on it!

The for you area is how you find other people with content you may like, people would not be getting as many followers as they are now without the for you page.

My First PC

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Surely this has nothing to do with it.

image.png.e3b78f44928d1bfaca80d9e8c538e834.png

Though he would abide by the poll

My First PC

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

The for you area is how you find other people with content you may like, people would not be getting as many followers as they are now without the for you page.

The most common complaint I see about social media in general is the algorithm shows irrelevant stuff, and not the stuff people are following which is why people are there in the first place. Finding the following chronological setting in old Twitter is the best thing most people find. The recent push back to "for you" resulted in posts from many people I follow saying they're seeing crap on the timeline until they're told to switch to "following" and restore the desired behaviour.

"for you" doesn't work well as I feel there's advertising money involved. It's not what you like, it's what advertisers want you to like. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

The most common complaint I see about social media in general is the algorithm shows irrelevant stuff, and not the stuff people are following which is why people are there in the first place. Finding the following chronological setting in old Twitter is the best thing most people find. The recent push back to "for you" resulted in posts from many people I follow saying they're seeing crap on the timeline until they're told to switch to "following" and restore the desired behaviour.

"for you" doesn't work well as I feel there's advertising money involved. It's not what you like, it's what advertisers want you to like. 

yep, that part I understand. For You is a big for advertising and money but then that makes you wonder, why is Elon making it a limited feature?

My First PC

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

yep, that part I understand. For You is a big for advertising and money but then that makes you wonder, why is Elon making it a limited feature?

According to OP you need to pay if you want the chance to be featured in "for you" but it doesn't sound like viewing it is being limited. So it is a form of p2w for those people who are trying to grow on Twitter.

4 minutes ago, porina said:

According to OP you need to pay if you want the chance to be featured in "for you" but it doesn't sound like viewing it is being limited. So it is a form of p2w for those people who are trying to grow on Twitter.

ok. From what i saw he said for you was going if you dont have blue.

My First PC

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

ok. From what i saw he said for you was going if you dont have blue.

Emphasis added:

To be shown in the "For You" recommendations will also require a verified account.

Yep just checked again u were right, I honestly am not a fan  of that. never knew P2W would come to social media too.

My First PC

28 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

never knew P2W would come to social media too.

Once a platform can be leveraged as a weapon, it's inevitable. Throw money at the thing (either through advertising or "some are more equal than others" features), and you get your message out in front of millions of eyeballs. The platform gets your money, but your voice becomes louder than your opposition's unless they throw at least as much money into the pot.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

The more Elon speaks the more im glad i dont engage on Twitter in positive capacity anymore. Only ambivalence or just plain criticism.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Yep just checked again u were right, I honestly am not a fan  of that. never knew P2W would come to social media too.

Economic and social classes exist in physical life. If it happens naturally there whether people like or agree with it, or not, then it's most likely going to happen online/virtual life.

Meh, I can't think of a single reason anyone would want to rely on a twitter poll for anything other than maybe proving an opinion is more popular than another opinion when we ignore facts.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.