Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

When is the next WAN show usually scheduled for? I usually don’t watch them live but this one will be interesting…

Are there random videos of other channels mixed in or something? There are random videos of people I've never seen on LTT.

2 hours ago, MrAeral said:

I don't know why people are doing this. If it says do not upload, then it must contain something bad in it. People are so mean nowadays, I can imagine how Linus is feeling right now, his day is probably ruined.

Not only that, the bigger question is how did this happyweekend2343 channel get access to this content in the first place and why did they release it after the hack.

Just now, Fasterthannothing said:

Are there random videos of other channels mixed in or something? There are random videos of people I've never seen on LTT.

There are a ton of videos showing on the channel right now that aren't supposed to be public. They're supposed to be private or unlisted videos. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just got a couple of hours of 'somewhat sleep' (actually lost sleep over this event), waking up to see LTT is coming back. LMG staff for sure have been working hard on this to get their channel back. Geez this has been a scare, damn hackers. Very gald it's back because what else am i going to watch when eating!

I unsubbed last night (Australian time) when it all happened as it was wrecking my subscription feed.  

Might wait until the dust dies down to resub since it still seems to be all over the place.

2 minutes ago, SuperDLOC said:

When is the next WAN show usually scheduled for? I usually don’t watch them live but this one will be interesting…

Tomorrow evening.

7 minutes ago, dpt17 said:

The LTT handle is fixed but the videos are the old ones accidentally shown earlier this AM.

if you scroll down, the newer ones will show up.

If Linus is planning to do WAN show tomorrow and update the public, where will it be streamed from?

I saw the LinusTechTips channel name change to linustechtipstemp in the early hours. I also saw the Adobe video being commended - though it didn't play when I tapped on it. I admit, that would've been interesting to watch!

2 minutes ago, SuperDLOC said:

Scheduled? xD

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

There are a ton of videos showing on the channel right now that aren't supposed to be public. They're supposed to be private or unlisted videos. 

Thankfully they are all from a million years ago. God forbid something more recent becomes available. 

Apparently some genius got flags mixed up and all the private videos are public... 

image.png.dc7ea62de88600f84f84a69bee8f31c6.png

Can't believe this is what the recovery process is. I've seen it happen before on other channels, still can't believe it is this much of a clusterfuck. And why the channel is public during this. 

1 minute ago, Leon K said:

I unsubbed last night (Australian time) when it all happened as it was wrecking my subscription feed.  

Might wait until the dust dies down to resub since it still seems to be all over the place.

I unsubscribed this morning when I saw it was weird live stream nonsense. I didn't realize it was the LTT channel; I thought a kid subscribed to something on my account through the Nvidia Shield. But when the channel came back moments ago I was still subscribed to it.

Just now, Ferkner said:

I unsubscribed this morning when I saw it was weird live stream nonsense. I didn't realize it was the LTT channel; I thought a kid subscribed to something on my account through the Nvidia Shield. But when the channel came back moments ago I was still subscribed to it.

same here, but now my sub box has a million old LTT videos pushing other subscribed channel content down

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

Just now, SLN said:

If Linus is planning to do WAN show tomorrow and update the public, where will it be streamed from?

I saw the LinusTechTips channel name change to linustechtipstemp in the early hours. I also saw the Adobe video being commended - though it didn't play when I tapped on it. I admit, that would've been interesting to watch!

While they will probably have their YouTube back by tomorrow https://www.twitch.tv/linustech is a good alternative free source of the WAN Show if you don't have floatplane. Just be prepared to be made fun of by Linus for being a part of Twitch chat. He makes a strong effort to avoid ever making fun of his audience but Twitch chat deserves it. xD

2 minutes ago, lowstrife said:

Thankfully they are all from a million years ago. God forbid something more recent becomes available. 

I'm pretty sure this video is not intended to be public. Apparently some genius got flags mixed up and all the private videos are public... 

Can't believe this is what the recovery process is. I've seen it happen before on other channels, still can't believe it is this much of a clusterfuck. 

Wow what the heck an 8k monitor!!

You know what may be the hardest thing to get back ALLL the old video descriptions.  LIke who the heck would think to backup video descriptions.  

4 minutes ago, lowstrife said:

Apparently some genius got flags mixed up and all the private videos are public... 

image.png.dc7ea62de88600f84f84a69bee8f31c6.png

Can't believe this is what the recovery process is. I've seen it happen before on other channels, still can't believe it is this much of a clusterfuck. And why the channel is public during this. 

oh there are definitely new videos that are supposed to be private

Damn ... who was opening spam email on the PC that had cookies installed to access the LMG account?

Or maybe it could be done on a phone?

----------------------------
        Weem

8 minutes ago, Leon K said:

Yeah for some reason the flood is happening now... I need to unsub until it wrecks my entire youtube home.... having all crypto nonsense after I watched 2 mins of the silly live last night and now its flooding me

The bilibili Channels is OK? Be Capful the hacker! 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

You know what may be the hardest thing to get back ALLL the old video descriptions.  LIke who the heck would think to backup video descriptions.  

I doubt they are gone forever. The hack was stopped relatively quickly and YouTube would be foolish to delete video files, descriptions, and comments immediately from their records. I am sure if the channels are public again that everything will be back by tomorrow.

So the posting of videos that were never meant to be posted… for example the one of his kid as a baby or the ones that say do not post. Is this YouTube’s fault or the hackers fault? I would sue the hell out of YouTube if it’s their fault honestly. 

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz