How the **** does one choose a tv? Looking to buy a new one.

Mixzzz

Hi,

So I'm looking to buy a tv, preferably 65in, budget max 700-800$. But I started looking and there's like 10 different samsung models alone not to mention other brands. How does one choose a tv? Obviously not all of the are not reviewed so I'm kinda at a loss. 

I'd prefer android tv but image quality is more important, can always buy a android stick later. Do you people have any suggestions here? Keep in mind that Im still running a 43in plasma from like 2009 so anything will be an improvement :D

Thanks!

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

20 minutes ago, Mixzzz said:

Hi,

So I'm looking to buy a tv, preferably 65in, budget max 700-800$. But I started looking and there's like 10 different samsung models alone not to mention other brands. How does one choose a tv? Obviously not all of the are not reviewed so I'm kinda at a loss. 

I'd prefer android tv but image quality is more important, can always buy a android stick later. Do you people have any suggestions here? Keep in mind that Im still running a 43in plasma from like 2009 so anything will be an improvement 😄

Thanks!

OLED TVs are waaaaaaaaaaaaay better (I use one since a couple years) especially for these huge sizes, but are rather in the 1.5K USD range...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

It depends on what qualities you care about. Personally, I look for color accuracy and contrast. If you're a gamer who games on the TV, you might care about pixel response times and refresh rate.

As far as resolution and size 4k is all that you'll ever need and size is dependent on your space/desire. If you can I'd stick with QD-OLED displays as they look the best. The quantum dots give it better color accuracy than previous OLED displays and prevent burn in.

As far as software is concerned, IMHO they're all crap. Just make sure you get something that can handle your content and interface. Though if you ever run into this problem, you can always buy something like a firestick or any brand you desire. 

If you're as obsessive as me, I'd use something like rtings.com (or any other site with that much review data) to see specific details of areas that concern you and see how they perform.

Edited by P e r s e p h o n e

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

OLED TVs are waaaaaaaaaaaaay better (I use one since a couple years) especially for these huge sizes, but are rather in the 1.5K USD range...

Yeah...I know but I rather just buy oled after a few more years when they get cheaper. + Id end up with 2 tvs

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Just now, P e r s e p h o n e said:

It depends on what qualities you care about. Personally, I look for color accuracy and contrast. If you're a gamer who games on the TV, you might care about pixel response times and refresh rate.

As far as resolution and size 4k is all that you'll ever need and size is dependent on your space/desire. If you can I'd stick with QD-OLED displays as they look the best. The quantum dots give it better color accuracy than previous OLED displays and prevent burn in.

As far as software is concerned, IMHO they're all crap. Just make sure you get something that can handle your content and interface. Though if you ever run into this problem, you can always buy something like a firestick or any brand you desire. 

My main TV usage is just watching movies/shows through Jellyfin and most of that is 1080p, occasional YT video. I do 0 gaming on the TV.

every TV i've bought in recent years, aside from one, has been the exact same process (and i've bought quite a few, i'm the "smart person" of choice when my family needs a new TV)

- determine the required size

- go to big box store

- look at TV's

- buy whatever is there and has the least red flags

why has the one been different? there was a choice between 10 TV's, and only one had a center stand (instead of the little legs on either end) and it needed to go on a smaller TV stand.

buying a TV is an incredibly tedious process of nitpicking differences between douzens of similar-ish models.. unless you just make the choice about other things.

besides that, here's a protip: most big box stores have this greater wall of televisions all displaying the same content... this content usually comes from a carpetbombing of HDMI splitters, so they are basicly all getting the exact same signal at the exact same time.. the ones that are notably behind are the high input latency ones.

oh - and the ones that arent on the same system... usually are overpriced to heck and back.

4 minutes ago, Mixzzz said:

My main TV usage is just watching movies/shows through Jellyfin and most of that is 1080p, occasional YT video. I do 0 gaming on the TV.

Well can't go wrong with latest QLED, well at least one year behind the latest so you're not getting shafted on the price. 

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 65-Inch Class QLED Q80B Series - 4K UHD Direct Full Array Quantum HDR 8X Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q80BAFXZA, 2022 Model) : Electronics

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 65-Inch Class QLED Q60B Series - 4K UHD Dual LED Quantum HDR Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q60BAFXZA, 2022 Model) : Electronics

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

33 minutes ago, manikyath said:

every TV i've bought in recent years, aside from one, has been the exact same process (and i've bought quite a few, i'm the "smart person" of choice when my family needs a new TV)

- go to big box store

- look at TV's

Yup, this is pretty much how I do it.

The only specific thing I'll look for is having around 3 HDMI ports.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I would never trust the big wall of TVs at a big box store as unless a vendor comes out to calibrate the display, we just set them all to vibrant and the wrong settings cause aint no one here paid enough. 

Also the brightness of the store itself blows out the picture in ways that do not match the home environment. 

I would use trusted 3rd party reviewers. 

Consumer Reports. 
Rtings.
Digital Trends 
HDTV Test

Go as big as you can with your budget, with a baseline acceptable picture quality. 

Gaming requires you to look at gaming features, like low input lag, and then try to get one with VRR and or high refresh rate
For media consumption, just focus on picture quality, For bright rooms, microLED, for dimly lit or dark rooms, oled if you can swing it.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

For your budget and goal of 65 inch, look at the TCL 65" Class 5-Series

I also suggest shopping late q4 into early q1 time as thats when TVs refresh their models, and since TVs are so big and bulky, last year models get discounted hard at big box stores as they want their backroom space for new TVs

3 hours ago, Mixzzz said:

It's not that different from choosing a monitor. The first step will probably to determine whether you want an IPS or VA (or OLED but that would probably go way out of your reach at that size, but it never hurt to keep your eyes peeled.) IPS has better viewing angle and motion, while VA has better contrast. 

Among the budget options, you would be looking for the basic like how bright is the TV, colour coverage (can be important because you will start to run into something genuinely terrible at that price range) etc.

Among the midrange to higher end option, you would be looking more at HDR capability, the dimming zone count, the colour volume and the extra HDR contrast and brightness too could be a consideration. 60hz low end OLED can also be an option, if you look hard enough. I would personally give Samsung QN85B a special consideration, as although they are IPS-type LCD, the HDR performance on this model isn't terrible and can be quite a lot cheaper than their flagship QN90B. The type of content you enjoy don't really benefit from HDR but that could change in the future as more and more movies started to become available at that price range.

If you got money to spend - OLED. 

Budget - VA but don't request image quality is important. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

I've got my eye on an LG C2 OLED TV.

When you put it side-by-side with other TVs, the color and contrast is just insane.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c2-oled

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Going for OLED really is a game changer. But in your budget, that'll give you a current-gen 42-48" model or a last gen 55" model at best.

If you don't want to spend as much money then have a look at Hisense models. Their mid-range TV's like te U8H are very good.

Also, have a look at this list: The 4 Best 4k TVs Under $1,000 - Winter 2023: Reviews - RTINGS.com

The way i shop for reviews is usually like this.

- First determine budget and size, then see what model gets you the best image quality.

- Use sites like RTINGS.com and their lists like "Best TV's under $1000" or "Best 65" TV's" to narrow it down to a few models

- Look at detailed reviews for these models

.- If i'm still not sure, create a forum thread asking other people about your shortlisted models

- Buy one

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

- go to big box store

- look at TV's

why has the one been different? there was a choice between 10 TV's, and only one had a center stand (instead of the little legs on either end) and it needed to go on a smaller TV stand.

buying a TV is an incredibly tedious process of nitpicking differences between douzens of similar-ish models.. unless you just make the choice about other things.

besides that, here's a protip: most big box stores have this greater wall of televisions all displaying the same content... this content usually comes from a carpetbombing of HDMI splitters, so they are basicly all getting the exact same signal at the exact same time.. the ones that are notably behind are the high input latency ones.

oh - and the ones that arent on the same system... usually are overpriced to heck and back.

Well, the issue I have with this approach is that I dont think there aren't that big strores in my country anymore. Like everything has moved online. The have a few TVs but not many on display.

7 hours ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

Thanks, these seem to be within my price range. Or at least the Q70 does and it has a more suited stand for me.

2 hours ago, TechlessBro said:

Whatever is on special on at Easter.

spending more is not worth it currently too much processing and useless features.

If it’s google TV then you can choose basic mode and have no apps.

Not a thing here to have discounts at Easter.

5 hours ago, starsmine said:

For your budget and goal of 65 inch, look at the TCL 65" Class 5-Series

I also suggest shopping late q4 into early q1 time as thats when TVs refresh their models, and since TVs are so big and bulky, last year models get discounted hard at big box stores as they want their backroom space for new TVs

Hmm, in EU TCL apparently has a different naming scheme. One that seems to be around my price range is 65P731. 

I mean ok, Im not in a hurry to buy a new tv as I have a lot of other expenses for the house this year but I'm just getting annoyed by my current tv right now. So not sure if I'll be able to wait for q4 😄

23 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Going for OLED really is a game changer. But in your budget, that'll give you a current-gen 42-48" model or a last gen 55" model at best.

If you don't want to spend as much money then have a look at Hisense models. Their mid-range TV's like te U8H are very good.

Also, have a look at this list: The 4 Best 4k TVs Under $1,000 - Winter 2023: Reviews - RTINGS.com

The way i shop for reviews is usually like this.

- First determine budget and size, then see what model gets you the best image quality.

- Use sites like RTINGS.com and their lists like "Best TV's under $1000" or "Best 65" TV's" to narrow it down to a few models

- Look at detailed reviews for these models

.- If i'm still not sure, create a forum thread asking other people about your shortlisted models

- Buy one

I dunno, Im kinda not pushing for OLED right now. I know it looks great but I'm a little suspicious about the cheaper OLED models as I don't want it get the burn in. 

The problem with looking at rtings is that there is way to many tv models or EU just has different naming for some. And I did look at some of the "Best TVs under....". Your technique is not that different from mine. The problem for me with this approach for TV shopping was that a lot of options were left out so that kind of frustrated me. 

1 minute ago, Mixzzz said:

The problem with looking at rtings is that there is way to many tv models or EU just has different naming for some. And I did look at some of the "Best TVs under....". Your technique is not that different from mine. The problem for me with this approach for TV shopping was that a lot of options were left out so that kind of frustrated me. 

Yeah there are so many TV models (especially in the mid range where you're shopping) that many models are not even reviewed. But i'd rather get one that has been reviewed even if that narrows it down a lot. At least you know what you get in this case.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.