I'm sick to death of RGB on everything (RANT)

Spazthe magician

RGB crap directly impacts me as a consumer and it's beyond infuriating now!

I absolutely despise how RGB has basically become a default staple in just about every part, I also cannot stand the mentality people have gotten saying things like "you can just not use them" or "Just shut them off". I shouldn't have to shut them or or not use them because I didn't ask for them. Everyone who says that acts like I asked for this crap on it and I'm now complaining about it. This non sealant attitude is toxic.

The comment that really frosts my ass is when people say you don't have to buy them you can go with a lower end part...Umm no. RGB is and always has been an accessory, and as such it doesn't belong as default on half the components it's been put on. Parts should only have RGB on them IF and only IF the customer PAYS to have it put on and that crap is now directly impacting my ability to buy quality parts at a decent price.

In a nutshell, RGB literally makes the parts it's on run worse because the part it's on now has to take part of it's full performance, and have it dedicated to a secondary pointless function which in turn now makes the component less effective. No matter how small that changes is doesn't matter, it's still now causing the parts it's on do two dedicated things instead of one. This would be exactly like putting a light on a blender instead of the blender just having blend functions, it now has a useless and totally unnecessary feature that could and should be used for blending, so you no longer have the full use of the blender. Even though it may not seem like much, make a single part now have 2 unrelated functions is bad. Get rid of the light and it's functions and make a better more efficient blender. Of course people who love lights on blenders will defend having it on there and defend it to the death but in the ends everything I just explained is a fact because that's how things work. A better analogy would be putting a spare tire on a car for the sole reason of it looks cool.

This RGB crap actually affects me as a consumer because RGB is being used to jack up the prices of components so while I can find components without them, those components are becoming scarce or you would have to go with lower grade parts. This it's now coming as the default standard with everything, pisses people off. People's obsession with RGB is directly impacting me as a consumer. You know how difficult it was for me to locate DDR5RAM at the speed I wanted without RGB built into it...it was obnoxious.

If people want to color their system great go for it, but because people are doing that, companies are catering to that and forgetting about the people who don't, and as such, it's being forced down our throats at just about ever turn.

END RANT

8 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

In a nutshell, RGB literally makes the parts it's on run worse because the part it's on now has to take part of it's full performance, and have it dedicated to a secondary pointless function which in turn now makes the component less effective.

Wow, youre stuck in 2018. Please be mad about the trade war for me, the graphics card price in the future sucks. /satire

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

I absolutely despise how RGB has basically become a default staple in just about every part, I also cannot stand the mentality people have gotten saying things like "you can just not use them" or "Just shut them off". But the comment that really frosts my ass is when people say you don't have to buy them you can go with a lower end part...Umm no. RGB is and always has been an accessory, and as such it doesn't belong as default on half the components it's been put on. Parts should only have RGB on them IF and only IF the customer PAYS to have it put on.

In a nutshell, RGB literally makes the parts it's on run worse because the part it's on now has to take part of it's full performance, and have it dedicated to a secondary pointless function which in turn now makes the component less effective. No matter how small that changes is doesn't matter, it's still now causing the parts it's on do 1 dedicated things instead of one. This would be exactly like putting a light on a blender instead of the blender just having blend functions, it now has a useless and totally unnecessary feature that could and should be used for blending, so you no longer have the full use of the blender. Even though it may not seem like much, make a single part now have 2 unrelated functions is bad. Get rid of the light and it's functions and make a better more efficient blender. Of course people who love lights on blenders will defend having it on there and defend it to the death but in the ends everything I just explained is a fact because that's how things work. A better analogy would be putting a spare tire on a car for the sole reason of it looks cool.

This RGB crap actually affects me as a consumer because RGB is being used to jack up the prices of components so while I can find components without them, those components are becoming scarce or you would have to go with lower grade parts. This it's now coming as the default standard with everything, pisses people off. People's obsession with RGB is directly impacting me as a consumer. You know how difficult it was for me to locate DDR5RAM that ran at the speed I wanted that had no RGB on it...it was obnoxious.

Agreed, the extra cost associated with a feature you don't want but are forced to accept is annoying, hopefully the fad dies out and we get back to paying for performance without an extra tax for aesthetics, the problem is so many people are willing to shell out extra to make there computer "pretty" that companies are happy to add cost, there are high performance non rgb options but you have to dig through so much garbage to find them, even the computer cases themselves, most are focused on the looks but not the function as in limited cable management space, less then stellar airflow (some cases basically no airflow) all for the sake of looking good

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Loads of products have an RGB and non RGB product. 

If you dont like it, then just don't buy it

Im sorry to say, i know its our personal problems, but you are too angry with this

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

I've got my problems with RGB RAM as well, but it's more for the fact that it's made their heatsinks nonfunctional. DDR5 runs insanely hot, and if you're going for higher voltage settings it basically requires active airflow. Plastic heatspreaders like what's common with RGB RAM does not make for good heat dissipation, so it runs hotter still. Give me the heat spreaders from the old DDR3 Corsair Dominator GTs any day over the Trident Z5 heatspreaders and the ones like it, those are what should be on DDR5 and with the high voltage kits (say G.Skill's 8000 CL36 1.45V rated kit) the plastic heat spreaders don't do anything in the slightest. Problem is even the non-RGB heatspreaders have the same problem of not being functional in the slightest, so it's more a fact that the entire RAM industry forgot what a heatsink is because of how unnecessary it was on DDR4. 

With everything else though, it really doesn't matter. The difference in cost between having RGB and not having RGB is less than a dollar on a lot of implementations, with it likely being more expensive to manufacture an RGB and a non-RGB SKU, let alone added logistical complexity from having double the SKUs on the high end. As long as there's a way to shut it off without needing to have software running in the background, I really don't see a downside. For the people who want to have it, let them have it (which don't kid yourself, most gamers do want it for whatever reason), and for those that don't it's not gonna save you any money to get it without it so just put a setting in the BIOS that disables it immediately. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I've got my problems with RGB RAM as well, but it's more for the fact that it's made their heatsinks nonfunctional. DDR5 runs insanely hot, and if you're going for higher voltage settings it basically requires active airflow. Plastic heatspreaders like what's common with RGB RAM does not make for good heat dissipation, so it runs hotter still. Give me the heat spreaders from the old DDR3 Corsair Dominator GTs any day over the Trident Z5 heatspreaders and the ones like it, those are what should be on DDR5 and with the high voltage kits (say G.Skill's 8000 CL36 1.45V rated kit) the plastic heat spreaders don't do anything in the slightest. Problem is even the non-RGB heatspreaders have the same problem of not being functional in the slightest, so it's more a fact that the entire RAM industry forgot what a heatsink is because of how unnecessary it was on DDR4. 

With everything else though, it really doesn't matter. The difference in cost between having RGB and not having RGB is less than a dollar on a lot of implementations, with it likely being more expensive to manufacture an RGB and a non-RGB SKU. As long as there's a way to shut it off without needing to have software running in the background, I really don't see a downside. For the people who want to have it, let them have it (which don't kid yourself, most gamers do want it for whatever reason), and for those that don't it's not gonna save you any money to get it without it so just put a setting in the BIOS that disables it immediately. 

True, if I could have the heatsinks from my Reaper DDR2 or Samsung DDR2 FBDIMMs on modern RAM I would be very happy.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Problem is even the non-RGB heatspreaders have the same problem of not being functional in the slightest, so it's more a fact that the entire RAM industry forgot what a heatsink is because of how unnecessary it was on DDR4. 

Yeah, to be honest i agreed on that sentiment. I thought OP is still wallowing on how RGB signalling causes memory speed to be bad compared to non RGB ram back in early RGB ram days.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah, to be honest i agreed on that sentiment. I thought OP is still wallowing on how RGB signalling causes memory speed to be bad compared to non RGB ram back in early RGB ram days.

Yeah, on DDR4 it really doesn't matter. I've had a lot of different DDR4 kits, 5 of which were Samsung B die, in a combination of RGB and non-RGB, and my best performing one was a low binned kit from ADATA of all places, specifically the AX4U360038G17-DT60, a kit with about as much RGB as you can get.

Difference between DDR4 and DDR5 though is that PMIC. DDR4 kits without that PMIC just don't run all that hot, and even when running 1.5V into those ADATA DIMMs I've never seen them get above 50C, even though the heat spreader is basically non-existent. Both of my kits of DDR5 (Corsair Vengeance and G.Skill Flare X5) however when running at 1.4V (where a good chunk of the faster XMP speed specs are rated) will easily get above 60C in memtest on open air, at one point I've seen 80C with that test setup. Temps could be so much lower and not require active airflow to keep it in a sensible heat range, DRAM manufacturers just need to start actually using a real heatsink like they used to do rather than a fashion accessory they call a heatsink. 

@ the 2 people that replied with the toxic attitude of you're mad about this, I got news for you, all lights emit heat. Guess what, RGB are lights and as such you generate more unnecessary heat inside your case.The more RGB you have, the hotter the inside.

The issue of heat isn't just inside the case either take for example DDR5. DDR5 already runs hot to begin with, add RGB and now you create even more heat, More heat = degrades the part, more, and it does it faster.

The most hypocritical thing involving RGB is how people complain things like DDR5 is too expensive, yet those same people complaining, invest 3 times more into RGB.

So while you both can say whatever you want the fact is I have every right to be pissed for this intrusion. Not only because of the pricing, but the parts shorter lifespan so being TOO MAD about this isn't a thing. I don't think I'm mad enough.

You both like to pay more and have a shorter lifespan for you parts but I don't. It's also clear that you don't like to take care of your expensive things. I'm starting to wonder is the people who have your attitude aren't paying for their own parts which would explain a lot.

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

No, what I said was adding a useless feature onto any competent dedicated to doing a single thing, now causes the component it's on to function worse. BEcause instead of having a single component doing it's function, you have a single component now doing two things (One being dedicated to a useless feature)  See teh blender explanation above.

It's also a known fact that parts with RGB, wear out faster for reason i stated above but also because they generate more heat.

Other than wasting a few cents or dollars in the Bill of Materials, I don't think RGB has any negative effects.  Don't like it, turn it off.  End of story.

12 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

@ the 2 people that replied with the toxic attitude of you're mad about this

It's not toxic to say that you're mad when you clearly are. There's nothing wrong with being mad... if it's for a good reason, and a reason you can do something about.

12 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

I got news for you, all lights emit heat. Guess what, RGB are lights and as such you generate more unnecessary heat inside your case.The more RGB you have, the hotter the inside.

You can't really be serious with this. Do you use your PC in a pitch-black cave with all of the lamps turned off? Because the room lighting heat changing the ambient temp of the environment will have way more of an impact than any heat generated by RGB inside the system. 

3 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

It's also a known fact that parts with RGB, wear out faster

wikipedian_protester.png

You're entitled to the opinion of not liking RGB but this hyperbole trying to make it sound like a functional drawback rather than just an aesthetic choice you don't like is rather silly. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Other than wasting a few cents or dollars in the Bill of Materials, I don't think RGB has any negative effects.  Don't like it, turn it off.  End of story.

No it isn't end of story because that isn't the reality of the situation.

I'm really starting to wonder about the people who have this don't like it turn it off attitude aren't actually paying for their own parts which would explain a lot.

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

You can't really be serious with this. Do you use your PC in a pitch-black cave with all of the lamps turned off? Because the room lighting heat changing the ambient temp of the environment will have way more of an impact than any heat generated by RGB inside the system.

UMM All light emits heat. The more lights you have in a single enclosed area the hotter it becomes, to act like RGB doesn't make your internal components hotter is delusional because now you're just arguing against science now.

BTW you probably won't watch it or if you do you will ignore key points in it but here you go this debunks your entire attitude:

1 minute ago, Spazthe magician said:

No it isn't end of story because that isn't the reality of the situation.

I'm really starting to wonder about the people who have this don't like it turn it off attitude aren't actually paying for their own parts which would explain a lot.

What are the downsides?  What am I missing from reality?

I pay for all my own computer parts with my limited income, and I am technically living below the poverty line in Canada.  The few LEDs and the associated controller chips etc, that provides the RGB are not a meaningful expense on the total cost of my machine.

1 minute ago, Spazthe magician said:

UMM All light emits heat. The more lights you have in a single enclosed area the hotter it becomes, to act like RGB doesn't make your internal components hotter is delusional because now you're just arguing against science now.

BTW you probably won't watch it or if you do you will ignore key points in it but here you go this debunks your entire attitude:

but you can turn it off...

Just now, Spazthe magician said:

You're not addressing my point. 

There are a few dozen things that have more of an impact on your PC's temps than any minute amount of heat generated by RGB lighting. Unless you've addressed and optimized every single one of them, it's pointless to even start worrying about the heat of the RGB, and even if you did it wouldn't make a measurable difference. 

You may as well start arguing that RGB will give us cancer because light is radiation. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

You're not addressing my point. 

There are a few dozen things that have more of an impact on your PC's temps than any minute amount of heat generated by RGB lighting. Unless you've addressed and optimized every single one of them, it's pointless to even start worrying about the heat of the RGB, and even if you did it wouldn't make a measurable difference. 

You may as well start arguing that RGB will give us cancer because light is radiation. 

Your information is false logic. RGB is bad for your system period. The problem with the entire RGB modding community, is you are all are so wrapped up in defending it, you don't even know how much harm you're actually doing to your system for a multitude of reasons. which you have tricked yourself and been tricked into things that are just simply not true.

The information in this video comes from an actual engineer on how it relalyw orks compared to how you people are under the impression is works:

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Wow, youre stuck in 2018. Please be mad about the trade war for me, the graphics card price in the future sucks. /satire

Well, in retrospect, if RT & Frame Generation becomes a staple, and AMD can't catch up fast enough, I predict NVIDIA gonna tear a hole on everybody's wallet with a jack hammer soon enough. 🤣

1 hour ago, Spazthe magician said:

But it actually does degrade performance that's exactly how things work because it's something that just happens.

When a part that's dedicated to something specific, winds up having an additional unrelated element added to it, that part will now under perform. Instead of one part doing one thing, you now have one part doing 2 things. It's why boards that have BOTH DDR4 and DDR5 use cannot perform as well as a board being dedicated to one or the other. Use DDR4 and the DDR5 part of the board sits there doing nothing and vice-versa. So instead of one board doing one thing, you have one board using half of it do do half the function. I know it's not half but that is putting it in simple terms. While that may not seem like much the fact is the board is not being fully used which means it's under performing. one board doing a single thing, performs better than one board doing 2 things and not using it's full potential.

Instead of leaving one part of the board unused, get rid of the unused part and use that to making the board function better

No offense but I'm just honestly baffled as to how do you and a lot of people do not understand that's just how things work.

I replied here instead of that other thread, since it's OOT there.

I don't think there's a motherboard that has DDR4 and DDR5 slot at the same time, CMIIW.
Anywho... what does an unused DDR4/5 slot have to do with leds ?

If that is a comparison to how RGB on something works, it is not a good comparison....

Could they make a better board using the money used for LEDs for something else ? somehow doubt it, leds are pretty dirt cheap.

The real question though (pretending the money would be enough to upgrade the VRM or something) : Would they ?

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, I don't favor rainbow puke lights.
But yea, like I said, I won't go as far as to call it a performance degrader, at least not unless it was made sloppily, or intentionaly made so, because if we're claiming such things without a real valid proof, it's misinformation and might be bad for the cause. If there is such a cause that is.

If you buy a 1700RPM ARGB Fan, then it should run like so.
If it becomes 1400RPM max when you turn on the RGB, then return & refund. Fake advertisement.

Heat wise... I don't think a few LEDs is enough to cause even a minor damage. I mean... my 3080's hotspot can be quite scorching hot, if there is something on my GPU that I get to blame for degradation due to heat, it's that one. If anything, the hotspot heat would kill parts faser than the LEDs than otherwise.

And PCBs used for quite a lot of PC parts are seriously efficient at dissipating heat.

Not saying LEDs don't emit heat, but yeah... compared to other stuffs on a PCB.... it's like throwing a grain of salt into the ocean.

Price wise , for me, if the one with RGB costs me less while perform the same, I'd just get the RGB one then turn off the light. Why? simple.... I get to save more money.
I mean, I want EVGA Dark series, but goddamn they are expensive, and I don't XOC.

I can be angry about stuffs having RGB on them all day long, manufacturers still gonna make them since most of the community likes them. So I just reap what profit I can off of it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

I don't think there's a motherboard that has DDR4 and DDR5 slot at the same time, CMIIW.

There is one Chinese H610 board that has a DDR4 and a DDR5 slot, though it can only run in single channel. It does perform worse, but saying it's because it has both slots is just wrong, it's because the manufacturer didn't design it properly. 

7 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

The information in this video comes from an actual engineer on how it relalyw orks compared to how you people are under the impression is works:

That guy is a water cooling engine, and he's talking about system modding. Yeah he mentions that RGB lights add heat, but he's talking about the poorly implemented ones, and water cooling gear also uses LEDs that generate a lot more heat than whatever you find on say a motherboard or GPU. For the ones that would say go on a RAM stick or go on a motherboard, it's below a watt for the amount of heat they generate, you're gonna get more heat generated by other stuff, and again, they don't output heat when they're off. The bill of material difference between them is gonna be a quarter maybe, so saying that you're "saving money" by getting a non-RGB product is just wrong, especially since that extra quarter is not gonna mean much when it costs the manufacturer more in just dealing with the extra logistics of double the SKUs and odds are they'd just round to the nearest $10 anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Spazthe magician said:

I've bought every single part I've ever owned. Only things I haven't bought are the keyboard I'm typing this on (it was a Christmas gift) and a pair of spare monitors I have (hand-me-downs from my ex-GF's dad). Some of the stuff has been RGB because it was cheaper and not worse, other stuff is not RGB because it was cheaper and/or better. It's about 50/50 between brand new components and 2nd hand components. 

I think all RGB is cheesy... But every type of product has tons of non-RGB options. Tons of fans, coolers, cases, RAM without RGB. 

What's the exact problem with lot of choice?

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Lurking said:

I think all RGB is cheesy... But every type of product has tons of non-RGB options. Tons if fans, coolers, cases, RAM without RGB. 

What's the exact problem with lot of choice?

The problem is people have a choice that I don't like!!!!

That seems to be the jist of it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

I never said there was. I said motherboards that can use BOTH aka supports either. I never once ever said anything about them having a slot for both on one motherboard.