Should I buy an i7 12th gen or an i5 13th gen?

Both the i7 12th gen and the i5 13th gen are around the same price in my area. Which is better? I checked some websites which said that the i5 13th gen is faster, but are there benefits of the i7 over the i5?

1 minute ago, Augustine PS said:

Both the i7 12th gen and the i5 13th gen are around the same price in my area. Which is better? I checked some websites which said that the i5 13th gen is faster, but are there benefits of the i7 over the i5?

i5 13 gen is currently fastest budget cpu for gaming, go with that

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

6 minutes ago, Augustine PS said:

Which ones?

If we are talking about the i7 12700k bs the i5 13600k then I would personally choose the i5 as the increased e cores in the i5 make the multithreaded performance very good while also having the higher IPC meaning better gaming performance in general. I mean you get 6 performance cores plus 8 e cores on the i5 with better IPC while the i7 you get 8 performance cores and 4 e cores but lower IPC than the i5. Also keep in mind that this analysis is based on the cpus being the i7 12700k bs the i5 13600k. I know some non k variant cpus have different cores co figurations.. 

30 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If we are talking about the i7 12700k bs the i5 13600k then I would personally choose the i5 as the increased e cores in the i5 make the multithreaded performance very good while also having the higher IPC meaning better gaming performance in general. I mean you get 6 performance cores plus 8 e cores on the i5 with better IPC while the i7 you get 8 performance cores and 4 e cores but lower IPC than the i5. Also keep in mind that this analysis is based on the cpus being the i7 12700k bs the i5 13600k. I know some non k variant cpus have different cores co figurations.. 

hey so if the processor wasnt an unlocked "k" one?

18 minutes ago, Augustine PS said:

im sorry?

Which 12th gen i7s and which 13th gen i5s?

There are differences and depending on prices one might be the better option over the other

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Which 12th gen i7s and which 13th gen i5s?

There are differences and depending on prices one might be the better option over the others? 

I am really not sure. Can you please PLEASE tell me which ones are better than the otherd

45 minutes ago, Augustine PS said:

I am really not sure. Can you please PLEASE tell me which ones are better than the otherd

You’re not sure which CPUs you looked up the price for?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also keep in mind that this analysis is based on the cpus being the i7 12700k bs the i5 13600k. I know some non k variant cpus have different cores co figurations.. 

? What

the whole idea of a k sku is its the same configuration as the non k, but unlocked with higher stock clocks

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

? What

the whole idea of a k sku is its the same configuration as the non k, but unlocked with higher stock clocks

ikr

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

You’re not sure which CPUs you looked up the price for?

its not that...i really dont know how many different variations of each generation is there. i used amazon.in for reference

40 minutes ago, Augustine PS said:

its not that...i really dont know how many different variations of each generation is there. i used amazon.in for reference

Basically list the 12th gen and 13th gen cpu's you find and the prices. Or give us the website you saw them at. Thats the easiest.

5 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

? What

While this is historically correct it has not been the case for 12th gen. Not sure about 13th Gen as I haven't looked but I know non k variants of the 12th gen i5 do not include e cores. Just looked it up and it looks like depends on the model of i5 but some have 8 e cores while others have less. 

If you've got a Microcenter nearby, it can make this a bit tricky. They often give away motherboards on 12th gen stuff. So it can make a good case for a 12700K.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, Augustine PS said:

For the 12th gen i7, there are basically just the locked and unlocked, and iGPU and no iGPU versions. The K suffix means "unlocked" and the F suffix means "no iGPU." The 12700K is unlocked and has an iGPU. The 12700F is locked and has no iGPU. Then there are the 12700KF (unlocked, no iGPU) and the 12700 (locked, with iGPU). All have 8 P-cores and 4 E-cores.

For the 13th gen, the i5 is complicated. There are tons of SKUs with nuances between them. The main ones are the 13600K(F), 13500, and 13400(F). The difference is the type of cores and number of E-cores. Also, the 13600K(F) is the only unlocked option. The 13600K features more CPU cache and Raptor Lake (13th gen) P-cores, making it better for gaming in many situations. The 13500 has Alder Lake (12th gen) P-cores instead, but it's E cores are Raptor Lake. But both have 6 P-cores and 8 E-cores. The 13400 has 6 P-cores and 4 E-cores, and has all Alder Lake style cores. Basically, the 13400 is just a locked 12600K with the iGPU downgraded, too (if the non-F model).

That's why people want to know the exact model numbers - there can be important differences.

57 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

For the 12th gen i7, there are basically just the locked and unlocked, and iGPU and no iGPU versions. The K suffix means "unlocked" and the F suffix means "no iGPU." The 12700K is unlocked and has an iGPU. The 12700F is locked and has no iGPU. Then there are the 12700KF (unlocked, no iGPU) and the 12700 (locked, with iGPU). All have 8 P-cores and 4 E-cores.

For the 13th gen, the i5 is complicated. There are tons of SKUs with nuances between them. The main ones are the 13600K(F), 13500, and 13400(F). The difference is the type of cores and number of E-cores. Also, the 13600K(F) is the only unlocked option. The 13600K features more CPU cache and Raptor Lake (13th gen) P-cores, making it better for gaming in many situations. The 13500 has Alder Lake (12th gen) P-cores instead, but it's E cores are Raptor Lake. But both have 6 P-cores and 8 E-cores. The 13400 has 6 P-cores and 4 E-cores, and has all Alder Lake style cores. Basically, the 13400 is just a locked 12600K with the iGPU downgraded, too (if the non-F model).

That's why people want to know the exact model numbers - there can be important differences.

Honestly I have to applaud Intel for how messed up and confusing their new product line is. Honestly if I think about its less about the naming being weird than it is about completely overturning what they have done in the past. I mean the cpu do have different model numbers so you might assume they are different but if you are used to the only difference being only clock speed and occasionally cashe size then when the new cpus have different  core configurations it can catch you by surprise. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I have to applaud Intel for how messed up and confusing their new product line is. Honestly if I think about its less about the naming being weird than it is about completely overturning what they have done in the past. I mean the cpu do have different model numbers so you might assume they are different but if you are used to the only difference being only clock speed and occasionally cashe size then when the new cpus have different  core configurations it can catch you by surprise. 

What really annoys me is that they are mixing Alder Lake and Raptor Lake cores into their 13th gen product stack together. At least with 11th gen, when they decided not to make a Rocket Lake i3 or Pentium, they just did a refresh and added a 5 at the end of their original product name, so i3 10100 and now i3 10105. This made it clear that it was a Comet Lake part that didn't have the core improvements of 11th gen, because they called it a 10th gen part.

The "new" i3 13100 is just a slightly higher clocked i3 12100. It should be called the 12105, because that's what it is. And the i5 13400 should be called something like the i5 12450 to make it clear that it's a large step up - adding 4 E-cores, not just a clockspeed bump. I'm okay with the 13500, because at least the E-cores have the improved Raptor Lake cache config, so that at least is a generational improvement of some sort. But if it was just 8 Alder Lake E-cores, I'd prefer it to be called something like the i5 12650 (as it has 8 E-cores).

I'm getting so sick of companies just lying with their product naming schemes. The AMD laptop chip naming debacle was bad enough. Now Intel is playing the same game, only worse, because there's no way at all to know from the model number what you're buying. At least AMD gave reviewers a decoder ring...

36 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would take differently named models having different core configurations over

i7-11700K vs i9-111900K being the same fucking thing except $200 more for a tiny stock bump in frequency.

This is not worthy of being an i9 class chip.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x