Volvo is now also into self-driving cars like Google

Sharif

Volvo has joined the group of self driving cars,it makes me wonder what will the future of cars be.

volvo-self-driving-2014-05-06-01.jpg

Not much info but here is quote of the whole article :P from Engadget

Volvo has now joined Google and others by testing autonomous cars on public roads, in its hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden, no less. This is the first phase of its "Drive Me" project, and will be limited to semi-autonomous vehicles on 50km (30 miles) of set commuter routes. The vehicles have progressed to where they can now adapt their speeds, follow traffic and deal with merging vehicles, according to Volvo. That means drivers still need to give their undivided attention, but eventually, the automaker intends to have 100 fully autonomous vehicles on the road operating in full "Autopilot" mode. Volvo hopes to avoid the kind of collisions that its cars are famous for surviving by eliminating the main cause -- us.

Source --> Engadget

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Awesome. Although I wonder how "unmanned" cars will react to each other. I have to assume they are programmed to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot to ensure the safety of the passengers so I imagine it would behave differently to another unmanned than to another car. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Volvo... or should we call them SKYNET! 

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Volvo have been in this sort of business for quite a long time now, especially with their trucks. AFAIK they were doing trials at some stage of a truck following another truck, simply by replicating the first truck's movements.

I love Volvo's car designs, it's really cool to see them doing something besides integrating driver assistance programs.

144Hz goodness

Considering that Volvo has been at the forefront of care safety for.. well, all of it's existance.. I'd probably trust them with something like this, more than google.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

Volvo has been working on this for years, currently they are demoing a cool concept where only truck drivers need to drive, and all cars behind it simply follow it.

Volvo has a ton of other car AI coming, like: Letting the car drop you off at work and then finding a parking spot itself somewhere, and then picking you back up again when you're going home. 

Cheers,

Linus

Volvo has been working on this for years, currently they are demoing a cool concept where only truck drivers need to drive, and all cars behind it simply follow it.

Volvo has a ton of other car AI coming, like: Letting the car drop you off at work and then finding a parking spot itself somewhere, and then picking you back up again when you're going home. 

volvo's market here isn't so great (i mean there cars aren't in every corner,these days i hardly see them,well atleast i have seen many volvo trucks)

So how is it over there?      (just curious :D ) i kind of forgot about that company becasue of the poor popularity here............

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

volvo's market here isn't so great (i mean there cars aren't in every corner,these days i hardly see them,well atleast i have seen many volvo trucks)

So how is it over there?      (just curious :D ) i kind of forgot about that company becasue of the poor popularity here............

Well, since they are being manufactured like 30-40 minutes away, you can expect there to be a lot of them in the area—Like 10-15% of the vehicles seen on the roads are new Volvos (since they are practically free on leasing contracts). When SAAB was still manufactured here in the city in bigger quantities, those were another 15-20%, haha. So just about every other car you saw on the road was either a Volvo or a SAAB.  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Linus

Well, since they are being manufactured like 30-40 minutes away, you can expect there to be a lot of them in the area—Like 10-15% of the vehicles seen on the roads are new Volvos (since they are practically free on leasing contracts). When SAAB was still manufactured here in the city in bigger quantities, those were another 15-20%, haha. So just about every other car you saw on the road was either a Volvo or a SAAB.  :rolleyes:

thats nice :) i think :ph34r:

didn't SAAb die?

oh wait it was something else i herd in topgear

its completly diferent here mainly hyundia > toyota > Kia > GM etc > nissan > i feel like i am missing something > then the rest

Hyundia got crazy sales after there new desighns

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

thats nice :) i think :ph34r:

didn't SAAb die?

oh wait it was something else i herd in topgear

They died, like 2 times, but they are resurrected now, and are actually manufacturing some cars now again. Some Chinese company bought them.

Cheers,

Linus

They died, like 2 times, but they are resurrected now, and are actually manufacturing some cars now again. Some Chinese company bought them.

its completly diferent here mainly hyundia > toyota > Kia > GM etc > nissan > i feel like i am missing something > then the rest

Hyundia got crazy sales after there new desighns

PS my editing was slower then your extension informing you :D

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

30-40 minutes away!?. I am locking my doors as i am typing this  :o

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

30-40 minutes away!?. I am locking my doors as i am typing this  :o

How am I supposed to get out then? Fine.. I'll just break a window!

Cheers,

Linus

How am I supposed to get out then? Fine.. I'll just break a window!

Hey! That window was from 1940!  :angry:

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

As a Scandinavian, I heard about this AGES ago. Nonetheless it's still awesome.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014