Intel Making a HEDT Comeback??? W790 Sapphire Rapids Workstation & HEDT CPU Platform Detailed

CommanderAlex
40 minutes ago, gRaN-Ma project said:

Thanks for your info. I think they are only supplying pc manufacturers for now. Meanwhile, the Supermicro motherboard in Europe is only available for pre-order and they talk about 30 days of waiting. Frankly I don't believe it. I think that if I make the transfer they will take all the time they want. Also I wouldn't even be able to verify the motherboard without cpu.

No problem! I think for OEMs and SI, they'll get a first hands-on chance with them before they sell systems with the new Xeon 2400/3400 series processors. The new chipset should definitely launch in March (going from my first post where I found the information about) and may cross over into April 2023. 

Projected Release Timeline: Q1 2023

The expected launch time of the new W790 chipset is Q1 2023, towards the end of March as the leaked sales embargo dates for the Xeon 2400 series and W790 chipset is 08 March to 22 March 2023. For the Xeon 3400 series, 12 April to 26 April 2023.

Found it!!! 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update coming from ASUS and their W790 motherboards...ASUS PRO WS W790-ACE will be £899 and the ASUS PRO WS W790-SAGE will be  £1279

Haven't heard anything about the processors besides the flagship W-3495X achieving a Cinebench R23 World Record of 132484cb at 5.4GHz. 

https://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-w9-3495x-sapphire-rapids-56-core-cpu-achieves-cinebench-r23-world-record/

https://wccftech.com/asus-w790-motherboards-for-sapphire-rapids-workstation-listed-for-pre-orders-1279-for-sage-899-for-ace/

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile and haven't heard anything new since...but the fact that a heavily overclocked Xeon W9-3495X can pull close to 1,900W is insane!!!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-w9-3495x-can-draw-1900w

• 8 months later...

i personally wish the mother boards would go more consumer oriented in this class. If there isn't an asus rampage board it isn't hedt =).

I really only need the pcie lanes. If intel would release cpus in the gaming market with double or triple what they are doing now hedt would be a moot point for me personally. But between storage and higher end networking (100+ mellanox) the current desktop class just doesn't cut it. I have been stuck on x299 for a while now as a result. It runs fine but pcie 3.0 is an issue at this point..

29 minutes ago, cryptz-2k said:

i personally wish the mother boards would go more consumer oriented in this class. If there isn't an asus rampage board it isn't hedt =).

Unfortunately, I feel those days are over with the advancements made in increased bandwidth and limiting crosstalk between lanes, resulting in increased manufacturing costs and motherboard manufacturer's taking advantage of it by charging a premium. 

IMO, Ryzen's introduction to 16 core processors on the consumer platform created a rift where if you want more PCIe lanes, they (manufacturers) will segment the market steeply and charge more for it. 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Unfortunately, I feel those days are over with the advancements made in increased bandwidth and limiting crosstalk between lanes, resulting in increased manufacturing costs and motherboard manufacturer's taking advantage of it by charging a premium. 

IMO, Ryzen's introduction to 16 core processors on the consumer platform created a rift where if you want more PCIe lanes, they (manufacturers) will segment the market steeply and charge more for it. 

Intel support for ECC = Xeon.

AMD doesn't "officially" support ECC on their desktop CPUs, but they don't actively prevent you from using ECC as success is contingent upon the MB vendor (though not required to do so)

Lack of PCIe lanes is more understandable, but having x4 or x8 more lanes would be helpful.

Edited by StDragon
When counting lanes, X should come before number.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Intel support for ECC = Xeon.

AMD doesn't "officially" support ECC on their desktop CPUs, but they don't actively prevent you from using ECC as success is contingent upon the MB vendor (though not required to do so)

Lack of PCIe lanes is more understandable, but having 4x or 8x more lanes would be helpful.

That's true, I forgot about the whole ECC and Xeon, however don't forget HEDT CPUs like the X-series processors with extra PCIe lanes don't officially have ECC support, where they are cheaper than their Xeon cousins. 

I definitely agree with that, at least 30-32 PCIe lanes on the consumer platform would be nice. I could think this could be possibly reserved for higher end CPUs like i9, Ryzen 9 etc. (where they can charge more for them). 

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's true, I forgot about the whole ECC and Xeon, however don't forget HEDT CPUs like the X-series processors with extra PCIe lanes don't officially have ECC support, where they are cheaper than their Xeon cousins. 

I definitely agree with that, at least 30-32 PCIe lanes on the consumer platform would be nice. I could think this could be possibly reserved for higher end CPUs like i9, Ryzen 9 etc. (where they can charge more for them). 

There's limited native ECC within a DDR5 chip, but it's not ECC between the DDR5 DIMM and CPU unless it's a bonified ECC DIMM.

Performance impact is negligible, and frankly should be a requirement. I wonder how much Intel would stonewall the industry if DRAM standards set ECC as the baseline standard?

Computers shouldn't error out on DRAM bitflips when there's ECC/CRC in practically everything else from storage to PCIe communications on the bus. It's so stupid as to actually be a legitimate conspiracy in the face of known computer science.