Western Digital is releasing Dual-Actuator HDD with performance close to SSDs

MC_MAN
7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

If you experienced (lived) it, it's the truth or you're making yourself out to be a liar... To yourself no less if you deny it. 
Or maybe when you woke up this morning that never happened yet there you are, wide eyed and fully awake.

If I buy a lottery ticket and win, does that mean I should tell everyone that there is a 100% chance of winning on the lottery?

My experience with the lottery ticket does not trump statistics, logics and probability. Personal experience (anecdotal evidence) is the lowest form of evidence. Anecdotal evidence is not even considered evidence, despite its name.

You saying "I had a few SSDs die on me" means nothing. It might mean something to you, but as evidence it does not hold water, and we certainly should not use that to draw any conclusions.

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah 15K or even 10K ones are definitely more faster than 7200RPM standard drives, just even in random read. Also today there are definitely enterprise SSDs that will last longer and are far more resilient too.

Random read and seek times is indeed where they excel, in part due to the higher RPM but also because the platters are smaller. Head doesn't have to move quite as far as on a higher capacity drive to find the next sector over.

35 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I don't think 20K made it to production. 15K is the fastest you can buy. I own several for my servers and workstations, a RAID array I have of four 15K 2.5" drives gets a solid 850mbps read/write and doesn't wear out like an SSD would. (Not 2.5" like a laptop, 15mm 2.5" used in servers)

Yeah, if I had a use case that involved constant writing, a 15K RPM drive sounds like it's the one to beat, with the exception of maybe a pure-SLC SSD, though those are probably vastly more expensive.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

22 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

To answer your previous question, yes, everything I need is backed up to multiple drives. If I experience a sudden failure in my laptop’s SSD at this very moment, recovering would not be especially difficult. 

So you are saying that if the SSD right now went down you would be able to recover the work you worked on for the last 2 hours?  Unless you have some form of raid, which would be a whole different discussion in terms of price to performance.  Most people I know only run backups nightly on their consumer hardware (or weekly for some).

22 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I use a combination of SSDs and HDDs. However, even with the supposed advantage of HDDs being able to limp along, I would never advise anyone use a HDD for a boot drive in this day and age. The speed advantage of even inexpensive SSDs vastly outweighs this minimal drawback, when said drawback is easily obviated by backups, or even a stupid-simple RAID 1 array if you want real-time protection(which is similarly beneficial to HDDs as well). 

As told by my college professors, data does not exist unless it exists on three separate medium, preferably with one remote. The ability for HDDs to limp along does zero to change that. This is why I do not place any value in this particular trait.

The whole mentality behind, "oh you didn't do proper backups" I find has a very condescending feeling about it.  As the example where I didn't have the money, and having people saying "oh create a backup".  It's like someone in the US who couldn't afford health insurance and missing a finger they couldn't afford to reattach having someone say to them "you should have bought health insurance".  The fact is having the harddrive able to limp along is a feature for some, it shouldn't be relied upon...but it can make your life a lot easier when it does limp along

It's why when I talk to small businesses and recommend equipment, I recognize that the ideal equipment might not be in their price range (and offer the best solution that would be, but giving them the choice)

Would I trust being a HDD giving a warning sign before it dies?  No, but it does offer benefits.  A real world example, aguys laptop (This is an older story, back before SSD's were widely a thing) started making weird noises.  He had a presentation for a client (with research from that day with notes he took from the client meeting).  You can claim "backups" but no one would realistically backup while working remote like that, the fact there was the weird noises meant he was able to go buy an USB thumb drive and copy everything over to it.  Had that been an SSD, the data would have effectively been toast.

Countless times, I've been able to get people out of a jam because the hard-drives were just limping along...I've yet to have good news for people who had broken SSD's though (except in one case where it was read only mode)

Even myself, I know when my drives in my system are dying and can purchase a new one (because again, I'm not going to go spend more money having a spare drive that does nothing but sit on a shelf gathering dust waiting for a harddrive to crash).  That is a convenience that isn't afforded by an SSD.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I'm assuming the answer is in something I don't want to read right now, but does anyone know how the drive functions if one fails, or is this a "increasing the number of points of failure" thing as well?

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

I'd be cool if every 10 years WD would engineer the fastest hard drive that their technology allows, just as a low volume single product to show what they're really capable of.

Imagine a 15,000 RPM drive with one actuator per platter, 1GB cache, and an NVMe cable. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If I buy a lottery ticket and win, does that mean I should tell everyone that there is a 100% chance of winning on the lottery?

I see what you did here and I ain't falling for it.

My experience with the lottery ticket does not trump statistics, logics and probability. Personal experience (anecdotal evidence) is the lowest form of evidence. Anecdotal evidence is not even considered evidence, despite its name.

I stated things on what I've had to happen, just like anyone else would and why I'm not "Sold" on SDD's but hey - You do you and I'll do the same because I can and will.

You saying "I had a few SSDs die on me" means nothing. It might mean something to you, but as evidence it does not hold water, and we certainly should not use that to draw any conclusions.

Means nothing?
Niiiice

With how the above is worded, It comes across to me as no one is allowed to disagree with you in whole or part - That's what it sounds like to me....
I mean really.

Well - Guess what?
I DO and dare to.

Why not just straight up say you don't give a shit about anyone else's opinion, actual experience or whatever else because to you, it doesn't matter since it wasn't YOUR own personal experience or what YOU think yourself.

I never asked anyone to base their own decision making on my own example either - I said what I had to happen and why I think as I do about it, just like you or anyone else would.
And it's only fair to since this is supposed to be a discussion, not a series of what to think/believe mandates posted by others.
No one is obligated to go with what I decide for myself - That's just for me and myself alone. 

As for it being evidence, yes it happened but will agree at least compared to all the rest it's just a drop in the bucket and doesn't matter in that context.
I personally don't think of them as being so reliable based on what happened here for me, what I lost over it and because of that I'm not going to use them for critical things/data and stuff like that.
Everyone has a different experience and I respect that.

If you have a problem with folks thinking for themselves (And they should).... That's your problem but not mine, do as you will over it because I am and will myself - No permission from you required.

I said what I've said earlier, I'm not changing my mind and that's it - If it's not good enough for you, so be it.

And since this is NOT how I wanted this to go simply by stating my experiences as to why, I can see further discussion about it is useless except for more bickering which we don't need anyway.

~Done with this.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, leadeater said:

Ah right, I forgot about boot. I never restart or turn off my computer lol.

Another member of the 24/7 gang, glad it's not just me.