Chips should be retired.

Megageek
1 minute ago, Megageek said:

Do you think celeron chips should be retired forever?

They have their place. So no.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just saw a new celeron chips promo.

If you did they still have a place so no, shoudn't be retired just yet.
Retirement - That's for when sales drop to the point of market extinction or a dumbassed boardroom decision but until then, they'll be around.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Celeron is a marketing gimmick to give consumers less chip real estate for the same price as premium intel chips. People have been getting ripped off since its inception.

4 minutes ago, Megageek said:

Celeron is a marketing gimmick to give consumers less chip real estate for the same price as premium intel chips. People have been getting ripped off since its inception.

The early Celeron CPUs were created to give a cheaper alternative to the Pentiums of the era, usually through the absence of on CPU cache. At the time this made little to no difference so was a great saving for most but the most demanding.

Today it is little more than a marketing name. Even if the name goes away, the low end position they fill will exist in some form or other. They exist because low cost chips are needed in some area. You get less than premium CPUs because it costs far less than high end CPUs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Celeron is a brand name. 

Are you just suggesting that Intel shouldn't offer any chip for the low end of the market at all? Or they just shouldn't call them "Celeron" as if that makes a difference?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Sometimes a turtle should be called a turtle. Intel should lose the celeron and replace with photonic equivalent.

Celeron is a marketing gimmick to give consumers less chip real estate for the same price as premium intel chips. 

Copy and pasting this response does nothing to allay doubts you actually understand what you're talking about.

Can you point to an example of a Celeron which is "the same price as premium Intel chips"? 

For reference, the only desktop Celeron chip from the current Intel platform has an MSRP of ~$50. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, Megageek said:

Sometimes a turtle should be called a turtle. Intel should lose the celeron and replace with photonic equivalent.

I'm pretty sure photonic processors aren't ready for desktop use and would certainly cost a bit more than a Pentium.

Celeron is here to stay. They will always need a base model CPU, it's the Chevy Spark of Intel's lineup and has been for many years. People not liking the name won't change a multi-billion dollar company's marketing designs. Besides they'd just replace it with something else people would complain about.

"Intel Baby Carrot? That's a stupid rip-off chip, consumers are losing out man!"

Also... 

I've had a strange craving for Dill Pickle chips. I'll have to go pick some up after work tomorrow.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

The celeron chips in designed to make intel money by dupeing consumers. There are some who dont like pickles.

3 minutes ago, Megageek said:

The celeron chips in designed to make intel money by dupeing consumers. 

"Dupeing" them in what way?

I would like to point to the fact that the cost to produce a celeron vs I9 chips is tens of thousands of dollars per one wafer...

Just now, Megageek said:

I would like to point to the fact that the cost to produce a celeron vs I9 chips is tens of thousands of dollars per one wafer...

This isn't a coherent sentence. It seems like you're trying to make some sort of argument about a difference in the cost of production between a Celeron and a high-end chip, but you didn't actually state what you think that difference is.

Celerons are a low-capability chip with a low price that reflects that. In what way is selling them "dishonest" or "dupeing" anyone? 

Its understandable that intel needs to catch up to AMD but I have had two celerons in two different computers and they seem to be getting worse in the on board memory dept compared to regular chips and performance is bad I mean really really bad.

Do you like celeron and can you point out anything good about huh.

If you haven't used one then you shouldn't comment.

Celeron in a low wattage chip, its there for a reason, I have a feeling op isn't aware of the history and design reason behind the Celeron brand, nothing duping customers.

Just now, Megageek said:

Low wattage processing, many device dont need the high wattage processor.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, Megageek said:

Its understandable that intel needs to catch up to AMD

Catch up to them in what regard? The performance of Intel's CPU's is competitive with or better than AMD's offerings at most price points right now. 

but I have had two celerons in two different computers and they seem to be getting worse in the on board memory dept

What do you mean by "the on board memory dept"? Cache?

and performance is bad I mean really really bad.

You bought an entry level chip meant for basic day to day computing. If you were expecting high performance that was your mistake. 

For argument sake this is a disscussion there is not argument intel should do the right thing as right things go.

7 minutes ago, Megageek said:

Are you going to answer any of the questions people have asked about what you mean by your weird statements, or back up any of the claims you've made? Or is this just a rant thread because you're upset the cheap CPU you bought performs like a cheap CPU? 

6 minutes ago, Megageek said:

For argument sake this is a disscussion there is not argument intel should do the right thing as right things go.

Your making a pretty weak argument here, do you have an actual positon to come from or you going to keep replying with an opinion. Opinions are fine but they have no merit if the opinion cant be back up with something.

Your topic so bring something to the table here.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER