Russian tech giant Yandex had a massive leak - more than 40GB of source code leaked

Denis Rakhmanov

User of a hacker forum (removed by Moderators) posted a torrent link to a hacked git repository of russian techno giant Yandex

Quotes

Important details about torrent:

• It just content of repository without anything else.
  • All files are dated back to 24 February 2022 (day when Russian war in Ukraine started).
  • It does not contain git history, mostly just code
  • No pre-built binaries for most of software with only few exceptions
  • There are no pre-trained ML models with some exceptions

What’s inside

It looks like at least source code for all major services of Yandex been leaked:

• Search Engine and Indexing Bot
  • Maps - Like Google Maps and Street View
  • Alice - AI assistant like Siri / Alexa
  • Taxi - Uber-like taxi service
  • Direct - Ads service like Google Ads / Adwords
  • Mail - Mail service like GMail
  • Disk - File storage service like Google drive
  • Market - Marketplace like Amazon
  • Travel - Like a Booking.com plus Airplane, Train and Bus tickets
  • Yandex360 - Like Google Workspaces for services on your own domain
  • Cloud - Probably not all infrastructure code was leaked.
  • Pay - Payment processing like Stripe, but with limited set of features
  • Metrika - Like Google Analytics

Security implications.

Since this is leak only contain contents of git repositories there is no personal data. There are at least some API keys, but they are likely only been used for testing deployment only.

Yandex denies that hack happened and blames it on former employee

Since Yandex is techno giant, that combines Google, Uber, Netflix and Spotify analogs this might be huge, and many exploits might be discovered.

Many already joked that this might be the biggest contribution to open source this year.

Sources

https://arseniyshestakov.com/2023/01/26/yandex-services-source-code-leak/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/yandex-denies-hack-blames-source-code-leak-on-former-employee/

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Cant wait to ask chatGPT to analyze the source code for more security issues.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

21 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

User of a hacker forum posted a torrent link to a hacked git repository of russian techno giant Yandex

Quotes

Since Yandex is techno giant, that combines Google, Uber, Netflix and Spotify analogs this might be huge, and many exploits might be discovered.

Many already joked that this might be the biggest contribution to open source this year.

Sources

https://arseniyshestakov.com/2023/01/26/yandex-services-source-code-leak/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/yandex-denies-hack-blames-source-code-leak-on-former-employee/

Fun-fact, Yandex owns the internet and google. Deny everything! REEEEE!!!

The yandex wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex

just because this was released doesn’t necessarily limit the amount actually taken.  It’s a suspiciously apropos date.  I can see something like “how far back do you want to go?”  “How ‘bout the first day of the invasion.  Let’s send a message”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Yandex denies that hack happened

and

blames it on former employee

are mutually exclusive. The former is plainly spoken, the latter insinuates it did happen. So... did it happen or not?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

are mutually exclusive. So... did it happen or not?

Denies that it was a hack, just a leak by former employee.

If you have data already on your computer it's not really hacking

Sorry for bad Ingrish

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

and

are mutually exclusive. So... did it happen or not?

Not necessarily if the former employee made a false claim.  I would want to know more about that employee.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Denies that it was a hack, just a leak by former employee.

If you have data already on your computer it's not really hacking

If you have 40 gigabytes of source code on a company laptop and was able to take it off the device, then I would highly question companies security policies.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

If you have 40 gigabytes of source code on a company laptop and was able to take it off the device, then I would highly question companies security policies.

There was an implication to an association to the Ukraine war.  May or may not be a red herring.

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

But it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I know I could do this for my employer's entire codebase of the last 30 years if I wanted to; it's not as sensitive as the type of software that is involved here but still.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

I only use Yandex to reverse image search the P*rn I find on google images 

emoji-hello-chat.gif

I thought that Google could do that, why not use Google lol

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Quotes

No open source project will ever accept stolen code.

That said, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a former employee. When "hacks" typically happen, they tend to get access to things like active development environments or public-facing filesystems that are browsable.

When you see a copy of a git clone/pull, that means it was likely pulled that day, and probably on somebody's laptop before they fled the country.

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

No open source project will ever accept stolen code.

That said, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a former employee. When "hacks" typically happen, they tend to get access to things like active development environments or public-facing filesystems that are browsable.

When you see a copy of a git clone/pull, that means it was likely pulled that day, and probably on somebody's laptop before they fled the country.

So people can post it, but that doesn’t mean it’s open source or part of any project?  If so even looking at it could soil a reverse engineering attempt.   They may have made the thing stronger instead of weaker.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So people can post it, but that doesn’t mean it’s open source or part of any project?  If so even looking at it could soil a reverse engineering attempt.   They may have made the thing stronger instead of weaker.

that code is covered by some license almost 100% forbidding it to be used in open source solutions.

So no open source project would use it as it might lead to lawsuites.

I made this comment because there are already a lot of memes(at least in russian segment of internet) on Yandex contributions to open source this year

Sorry for bad Ingrish

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

I use Yandex for that purpose as well. I find the UX of finding more images easier with this search engine. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

21 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

that code is covered by some license almost 100% forbidding it to be used in open source solutions.

So no open source project would use it as it might lead to lawsuites.

I made this comment because there are already a lot of memes(at least in russian segment of internet) on Yandex contributions to open source this year

As in they did or they didnt?  I’ve seen ads for yandex but I had no idea what they were even about.

1 minute ago, mononymous said:

I use Yandex for that purpose as well. I find the UX of finding more images easier with this search engine. 

My default is duck-duck go.  I’ve never had a need for reverse image lookup though.

2 hours ago, sof006 said:

It’s not detailed enough and doesn’t give me the names 😹 

9 minutes ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

It’s not detailed enough and doesn’t give me the names 😹 

Thanks.. 😉

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

21 hours ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

(removed by Moderators)

This wasn't us I swear!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This wasn't us I swear!

It would be an entertaining username though

On 1/26/2023 at 9:57 AM, Denis Rakhmanov said:

I'm sure the joke makes sense in english as well "The biggest Russian contribution to open source this year, was the leak of X, thus proving that X used stolen code in their Y project."

Or something to that level. It might be fun for someone to mechanically actually compare any OSS modules found it against public ones to see if there are like GPL violations, but otherwise even looking at such projects is likely to taint any possibility of contributing to OSS projects in the same field.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

I'm sure the joke makes sense in english as well "The biggest Russian contribution to open source this year, was the leak of X, thus proving that X used stolen code in their Y project."

Or something to that level. It might be fun for someone to mechanically actually compare any OSS modules found it against public ones to see if there are like GPL violations, but otherwise even looking at such projects is likely to taint any possibility of contributing to OSS projects in the same field.

I suspect that has already been done and if there were any we’d have heard about it