Xc7 , 3 radiators and 13900k overheating?

FUSER

Ok so i did add a bit of thermal paste (arctic) on the xc7 prior to installing as I thought for some reason that the stock paste was not good enough and/or inadequate quantity. Maybe i did screw up but hear me out, maybe it’s not the paste:  

When i stress test the13900k at 5800mhz all cores it will reach 90+ and thermal throttle. My water temp before the stress test is around 26C. The max water temp I reach is 33C.

questions: 

Is that normal considering a stress tested overclocked 13900k?

what is the max temp my water should reach to suggest maximal heat uptake?

Is it known for xc7 to not be able to transfer heat efficiently (ie shall i replace it? If yes, with which?)

Is it a 13900k thing to be impossible to keep beloww 90C if oced and stressed?

Did i put too much paste, ie is it worth draining the loop and reseating the xc7 with a new set of minimal amount of paste (and which paste do you recommend)? 

thank you!

17 minutes ago, FUSER said:

Ok so i did add a bit of thermal paste (arctic) on the xc7 prior to installing as I thought for some reason that the stock paste was not good enough and/or inadequate quantity. Maybe i did screw up but hear me out, maybe it’s not the paste:  

When i stress test the13900k at 5800mhz all cores it will reach 90+ and thermal throttle. My water temp before the stress test is around 26C. The max water temp I reach is 33C.

questions: 

Is that normal considering a stress tested overclocked 13900k?

what is the max temp my water should reach to suggest maximal heat uptake?

Is it known for xc7 to not be able to transfer heat efficiently (ie shall i replace it? If yes, with which?)

Is it a 13900k thing to be impossible to keep beloww 90C if oced and stressed?

Did i put too much paste, ie is it worth draining the loop and reseating the xc7 with a new set of minimal amount of paste (and which paste do you recommend)? 

thank you!

Did you take of the original paste before you put on the Arctic paste or did you just add it on top?

4 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Did you take of the original paste before you put on the Arctic paste or did you just add it on top?

I added small spots in between the pre-pasted spots

1 hour ago, FUSER said:

I added small spots in between the pre-pasted spots

Not recommended. I'd clean the block and use a single paste.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Not recommended. I'd clean the block and use a single paste.

do you think that's the only reason?

do we have any data to suggest that xc7 underperforms? I've seen some people on reddit complain about the xc5.

I am wondering whether this could also be an inherent xc7 issue at baseline that I likely exacerbated? (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/182292-thermal-throttling-with-i9-13900k-and-xc7-pro/)

What do you think when you see the above link? What are the maximum water temps I am expected to get when CPU reaches 90C ?

I have used an XC7 on a 10600K and my 11700K. It is... adequate but that's about it.

I switched to an EK Quantum Velocity, as I couldn't find actual hard proof that the XC7 is a "very good" block like all the reviews seem to suggest and I really wanted to see real world numbers. I dropped temps by almost 10C with the EK block and I honestly wasn't expecting that given my experience with EK blocks over the years. My 11700K pulls 270W with the limits removed, not as much as a 13900K of course, but I was pushing into the 90C territory with multiple configurations of radiators without going above 4.9GHz.

The XC7 is good for a chip like the 10600 or even 13600 but huge heat producer like a 13900? I doubt it's optimal. Your thermal paste application could definitely be adding to the issue as suggested as well.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

19 hours ago, FUSER said:

Did i put too much paste,

this is a myth. and has been debunked

XC7 is a middle of the road performer. But you mentioned 3 radiators. What case do you have? Wondering if you are hotboxing an O11. Something I see a ton of watercoolers do.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

These are my temps and fan/pump speeds:

I like to have the fans run 100% all the time to maximize heat transfer from the radiator.

Front fans #1-3 are intake. Side + Top fans (total 6) are exhaust. 

Back fan is intake fan. 

Excuse my lame RGB configuration (!)

image.png.a68f552c3924d84e63621023950d5df6.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.bd5d49a75c4def25cd5b9685ca7e914f.jpeg

On 1/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, Sir Beregond said:

XC7 is a middle of the road performer. But you mentioned 3 radiators. What case do you have? Wondering if you are hotboxing an O11. Something I see a ton of watercoolers do.

see above

intake is better for temps than exhaust. 4in, 6 out.. 

rads should be intake 

with that said, my 13900k also reaches 100c in stresstests, do i care that much, no.

why? cuz 70-75c in gaming is fine 😛

another bit of info we need is: how much power does ur cpu take/use 

17 hours ago, FUSER said:

see above

And what case is that...can't see is there a radiator mounted to the bottom or is the third one on the side?

One thing though, you should add coolant to your reservoir. As the biocide/inhibitors get used up, having that much of an air pocket in your reservoir provides a great humid environment for microbial growth to start. You can see all the droplets clinging to the reservoir, it's very humid.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

17 hours ago, NorKris said:

intake is better for temps than exhaust. 4in, 6 out.. 

rads should be intake 

with that said, my 13900k also reaches 100c in stresstests, do i care that much, no.

why? cuz 70-75c in gaming is fine 😛

another bit of info we need is: how much power does ur cpu take/use 

I think it will go up to 240-250 watt

7 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

And what case is that...can't see is there a radiator mounted to the bottom or is the third one on the side?

One thing though, you should add coolant to your reservoir. As the biocide/inhibitors get used up, having that much of an air pocket in your reservoir provides a great humid environment for microbial growth to start. You can see all the droplets clinging to the reservoir, it's very humid.

there is one in the front, one on the side and one on the top

I think I will switch the side fans to be intake, and change the back fan to exhaust, so I have 6 intake and 4 exhaust.

I will add more coolant as well. 

Question is with a water temp of max 32C is it an XC7 issue, the extra paste or both?

5 hours ago, FUSER said:

I think it will go up to 240-250 watt

"think"  :S   but yee thats not good

10 hours ago, FUSER said:

Question is with a water temp of max 32C is it an XC7 issue, the extra paste or both?

If the water temp tops out at 32c your cooling capacity is good, and the issue has to be related to getting the heat from the cpu to the water. It could be the block not being good enough, a bad mount, bad thermal paste application or a issue with the tim in between the cpu did and the heat spreader

On 1/19/2023 at 2:03 AM, NorKris said:

"think"  :S   but yee thats not good

How much should an overclocked i13900k consume? I wasnt as lucky so my silicon lottery only got me a “ 95 SP” score on the asus z790 hero..

1 hour ago, FUSER said:

How much should an overclocked i13900k consume? I wasnt as lucky so my silicon lottery only got me a “ 95 SP” score on the asus z790 hero..

Man count yourself lucky. My 11700K's rating is 57.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

6 hours ago, FUSER said:

my 13900k goes relativ quick to 100c, but thats at 350w+, i dont have as much rad as u 😮 

• 3 weeks later...

The corsair water cooling stuff is ment for a first timer with low end to middle of the road parts.You have a really hot cpu with a low end water block on it.I would be looking to replace it with https://optimuspc.com/ or heatkiller those are really the best blocks for cooling right now.

4 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

The corsair water cooling stuff is ment for a first timer with low end to middle of the road parts.You have a really hot cpu with a low end water block on it.I would be looking to replace it with https://optimuspc.com/ or heatkiller those are really the best blocks for cooling right now.

low end waterblock?

9 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

corsair stuff was sapos to be cheaper...but that never happened or was short lived...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

21 hours ago, NorKris said:

low end waterblock?

I would say the Corsair block is more middle of the road. Not bad, not great.

Test Bench: 

38 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I would say the Corsair block is more middle of the road. Not bad, not great.

but i wonder if the "take" is that there is a temp diff between waterblocks... i dont think there is