Can I put together this hifi system with pc?

Boren
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

At a bare minimum just to get stereo working, you just need a 1/8" TRS (headphone jack) to dual RCA connector cable. Connect the PC's line output to one of the amp's line inputs.

If that's a full surround setup, check to see if your motherboard has a "digital" S/PDIF output from one of its audio jacks. You'll want to connect that to one of the orange RCA jacks on the back of the amp, or the TOSLINK port if it's optical. That will get you digital surround audio with only one wire.

Hi!

here are a few photos of this hifi system that my parents used...

i was wandering if you could help what do i need to put these together and connect to my pc, z390 gigabyte motherboard.

is it possible?

What cables do i need and do i need a soundcard for the pcto make this work or some extra accessories?

Thanks,

Boren

74E784C5-FC41-4698-9034-2B2EDC390223.jpeg

75274A8E-F8E4-4C11-BA81-C90653822B29.jpeg

AF7E6CA6-AC19-445E-BB15-948AC309E05A.jpeg

6E19CBD2-40DD-44E5-96CF-3CC724FE1042.jpeg

88D3597C-09C8-407F-9067-564709881B02.jpeg

B7F8D2B2-753B-4641-8E3D-5CA613BBD991.jpeg

F73B4E76-042C-4781-A9F0-F27665384601.jpeg

At a bare minimum just to get stereo working, you just need a 1/8" TRS (headphone jack) to dual RCA connector cable. Connect the PC's line output to one of the amp's line inputs.

If that's a full surround setup, check to see if your motherboard has a "digital" S/PDIF output from one of its audio jacks. You'll want to connect that to one of the orange RCA jacks on the back of the amp, or the TOSLINK port if it's optical. That will get you digital surround audio with only one wire.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Or if their pc has a 6 port audio interface they can hook the channels up that way if need be

Pretty much any computer can do 5.1, because the MIC and Line In jacks in the back can be repurposed for 5.1 

You can use either of them or both at the same time, but there may be a small delay between them which would result in some weird noise. 

The Panasonic has loads of inputs - see manual here : panasonic-sa-xr45-user-manual.pdf

You have digital inputs : Optical IN (multiple)  and Coaxial IN   for example if your computer has optical out, then you could use a TosLink cable between your sound card and any optical in connector (The DVD 1 optical in seems to a more fancy one), and then simply select DVD using remote control or whatever and the unit will take sound from computer and play it in the speakers. 

If you don't have digital outputs, you can use plain old analogue ones. 

Again, the unit has multiple sets of inputs ... ex stereo input for CD player, TAPE, DVD/VCR stereo input for VHS etc ... but you can see it has at least a  5.1 input  for DVD player .. you can see it highlighted in the picture below 

image.thumb.png.724dfa4d54552a1d787be792d4aebd34.png

So you could get 3 x  STEREO (TRS) ---> 2 x RCA male  cables and connect them between your sound card analogue outputs and those 6 RCA jacks , or you could use toslink / coax input (but uncompressed 5.1 is tricky, stereo works for sure).  Then you must select the input (ex dvd  even though it's a computer)

To the right of the 5.1 input  that's a subwoofer jack - I think that can be used to take the UNAMPLIFIED signal and route it to a subwoofer amplifier like that Yamaha because I don't see any amplified subwoofer output - to the right you have  the output, you see there front left and right, then center , surround left and right and "back" which I don't think it's subwoofer, more like similar to "center" speaker. 

So you could probably use a male rca - male RCA to take signal from this panasonic to the yamaha subwoofer amplifier (goes in the rca jack labeled INPUT  (mono) I think. 

53 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

looking at the ''hifi'' components.............they're begging to be retired.............🤣

Some speakers are usually better than no speakers. Not everyone needs to have four years earnings poured into their audio setup, the amp and speakers are probably pretty alright still

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Assuming all the system components work, yeah, you can get it to work. You just have to get an audio signal to it. Either, as mentioned above, with a 3.5 to dual RCA or with the onboard/AIB 6 port audio out. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup