Occasionally very long loading times on the forum

Stahlmann

Browser, version and OS:

Edge on Windows 11 both on the latest public version.

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Can't replicate, sometimes it just happens.

What happened?

Forum sometimes has very long loading times, like 10 seconds or so before a page opens. I don't have this issue with any other website i use.

What did you expect to happen?

Side instantly loading like everything else.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Whole forum. Doesn't matter if i'm just opening the forum or if i'm clicking on a thread.

Any other relevant details:

Enabling or disabling my VPN connection (PIA) doesn't have any impact. I also get the lags without the VPN open. I have a very stable 100 Mbps internet connection.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

There has been some DDoS attempts. As Cloudflare is protecting forums, you will have reduced service.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There has been some DDoS attempts. As Cloudflare is protecting forums, you will have reduced service.

I had this issue for several months now. And i also frequently visit the forum on my work PC, where i don't have this issue at all. That't what seems strangest to me.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I had this issue for several months now. And i also frequently visit the forum on my work PC, where i don't have this issue at all. That't what seems strangest to me.

Thats odd then. I would say routing issue, but I doubt you are commuting to another routing destination.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Could you estimate how often it happens?

On my home PC about 1 in 5 times. On my work PC it doesn't happen.

Pretty much the same as Stahlmann. Sometimes I click the notification thing and it won't load in at all. And sometimes the pages don't load in at all, or I can see the page loaded but the loading bar still hasn't completed and I cannot interact with the page(the interact thing probably is a Firefox only thing but still, that means the page hasn't loaded in completely).

I just got an nginx 500 error after the page took some 5 seconds to load if that's helpful.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.02299225a8e5cba87fbb4edde0ac7790.png

I'm not sure if the page loading in really slowly is an issue on my end but the nginx error suggests me otherwise. Any steps I could try to check if this is on my end?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

On my home PC about 1 in 5 times. On my work PC it doesn't happen.

Can you do this:

• Open the dev tools (F12), and switch to the network tab
  • Leave the dev tools open as you browse the site normally
  • Once you repro this issue, wait for the page to finish loading, then right click on one of the rows in the dev tools network table and choose "Save all as HAR with content"
  • Send me the resulting file in a PM (it contains a token that can be used to access your account, so please don't post it publicly!)

This will help me to see where in the stack the slowness is occurring, as well as giving me some information to correlate with the backend logs.

9 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

I just got an nginx 500 error after the page took some 5 seconds to load if that's helpful.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure if the page loading in really slowly is an issue on my end but the nginx error suggests me otherwise. Any steps I could try to check if this is on my end?

That nginx 500 error is pretty surprising, and I can't find a corresponding entry in the logs. Was that a one-off, or have you seen a few of those too? (Just to sanity check, you're not behind a corporate firewall or anything like that, right?)

HTTP/2 203

• 1 month later...

Small update. I moved to a new apartment in the meantime. The problem is gone now. Seems like it was something wrong at my end.

@colonel_mortis

Sorry for not following up with the dev tool network page. Everytime i ran into this issue i forgot to have the page open.

The last couple of days I experienced some hiccups in the forums as well, it just refused to load at all until I got an error message from Cloudflare stating host problems.

This was happening on three different devices: My phone, connected via PIA; my home PC, connected via PIA; my work laptop, connected directly via our company's VPN.

Both of the PIA connected devices where connected to different PIA endpoints, also disconnecting from PIA didn't seem to make any difference.

EDIT: I was using the latest available version of Chrome on all devices.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, Monsterkater said:

The last couple of days I experienced some hiccups in the forums as well, it just refused to load at all until I got an error message from Cloudflare stating host problems.

This was happening on three different devices: My phone, connected via PIA; my home PC, connected via PIA; my work laptop, connected directly via our company's VPN.

Both of the PIA connected devices where connected to different PIA endpoints, also disconnecting from PIA didn't seem to make any difference.

EDIT: I was using the latest available version of Chrome on all devices.

The forum did have some issues for about an hour Wednesday during some maintenance, but that should be an unrelated one-off issue.

HTTP/2 203